Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How's Business Guys?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's Business Guys?

Just curious how the independent guys a doing in this time of bailouts and layoffs? Things made from metal still break in a bad economy don't they? The reason I'm asking is my calls have slowed way down. I advertise in the Yellow pages, newspaper,Craigslist, joined the BBB, Chamber of Comm,dropped cards off everywhere. The first six months of this year I stayed real busy, now I am considering making a change. Maybe figuring out something to produce and sell, Maybe its my area, North Mississippi is not normally regarded as an industrial Mecca. Anyways just venting, Adam

It is slow here. Some weeks I don't even get a full week in.

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Yea, October was real slow, November has picked big time.
      I'm backed up 7-10 days, things still break and I think people are fixing there things- machinery,farm equippment, Ect., Etc. This is the kind of Economic slow down I like !!....... Norm :

Comment

Norm,
        Glad your staying busy. I have only been in business 11 months so I guess I need to be patient. Last week I bid a pretty big job at a restaurant that is being built in Memphis but I guess I was too high. I have picked up one and two hour jobs here and there but thats not what I'm wanting. I built a hoist on my trailer the other day. It is pretty handy. I was surprised how strong it is. I picked up a 7 foot box blade for a customer and brought it to my shop to fix. Worked like a champ. It rotates 360 deg and has an 8 foot reach.
        Last edited by Jetmekdc-10; 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM. Reason: pic size

Comment

Dang, forgot to re-size pic, hav'nt posted in a while, sorry for you guys on dial up.

Comment

Jetmekdc-10, Hi; I'm on dial-up, not a problem ! Thats a nice looking setup, did you say it's made. I've thought about something like that, just to put my mind to it i guess?? I'm just completing my Third Year in business. It takes time to build your reputation and therefore clientell. Keep working hard and it will come, Good Luck !!!...... Norm : PS. Thats hand made ( home made ) in my first sentence Above!! Sorry !!... Norm :

Comment

3 months ago I was swamped with work. Almost more work than I could handle. Mostly large jobs with the welding, repairing and refurbishing of heavy equipment.

I had two large mobile jobs (large jobs for me as I also work 50+ hours per week as a welder) lined up that I was supposed to start in November. In preparation for the upcoming work schedule, I purchased a $3000 mobile air compressor and some other odds/ends. My equipment has been sitting mostly as both jobs canceled at about the same time, due to the economic slowdown.

I was also contemplating renting/sharing space at a small shop in my area, leaving my hourly job and going at it on my own, full time. I recently realized this is definitely not the right time for me to attempt this and scrapped the idea for now.

I'm lucky for having a full time job to fall back on as my employer laid off 62 people out of 130. I'm a welder at a construction outfit (heavy equipment) and the company's primary focus's are road-building, neighborhoods clearing and what-not.

Even though I'm not out on my own welding, I can say I love my job.

Even though I spent $3000 on a compressor and have no work for it I won't have to purchase when the time comes. Its also a very nice machine!

Working full time and trying to run a one-man business is hard work. I have some free time now. After working all day with my normal job then I would work at "my business job" after that I would have to do the invoicing, accounting, planning....

Kudos to all the independent welders and small business welders surviving in these terrible economic times. My helmets off to you.

Comment

Jetmekdc-10 I built a hoist on my trailer the other day. It is pretty handy. I was surprised how strong it is.
                BTW Nice Hoist!!! I might have to steal your idea!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jetmekdc-10 View Post
                  Just curious how the independent guys a doing in this time of bailouts and layoffs? Things made from metal still break in a bad economy don't they? The reason I'm asking is my calls have slowed way down. I advertise in the Yellow pages, newspaper,Craigslist, joined the BBB, Chamber of Comm,dropped cards off everywhere. The first six months of this year I stayed real busy, now I am considering making a change. Maybe figuring out something to produce and sell, Maybe its my area, North Mississippi is not normally regarded as an industrial Mecca. Anyways just venting, Adam
                  Adam,

Out of curiosity how much repeat business have you had? What kind of work did you get the first six months? Has all of that work dried up or is somebody else getting the jobs?

Regards,

Comment

I was gonna join in and comment but Norm's positive situation bummed me out so bad the other day I signed off and went to work.
                    The pleasure boat repair biz has taken a dive for sure btw.
                    I'm making plans to hide my 350P and my Bobcat and Dynasty at my Folks place and they can come have the rest!!

Comment

-Norm, The hoist is handmade from scraps. I bought the ram from Northern tools. I was worried my trailer would sag on the corner its mounted to but it does real well. Its also handy for loading my MM210 when I am by myself which is most of the time.
                      -Bill C. I had gotten some great work from a paper co. called Weyerhauser. Things were looking good and then they got bought out by International Paper. I am now listed as a vendor for IP but they are shutting down plants left and right. A weld shop that I worked for last year has all but shutdown. He had about ten guys working for him.
                      -Fusion king, Sorry things have slowed for you also, I don't know what the future holds for everyone but I am going to try and hold on. Hopefully when the economy recovers the guys still in business will make up there losses. Happy thanksgiving everyone, Adam

Comment

After the herd thins out the strong bucks will stil be standing

Comment

NFinch 86

Hey Norm: Be checking your mail, sent you something from Arizona!

Enjoy..........

Dave

Comment

Dave, HI, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your Family. We had ours in October!! As far as checking my Mail, would that be the old snail mail ?? Now you have got me real curious !! PM. me , Please, Please!!!!!..... Norm :

Comment

FusionKing, HI; I'm sorry for putting a Dampper on your day!!! Here in Canada, things from what i've read and seen myself, are NOT as Bad as they are in the U.S.A. For one thing we have not sold our Country or Morgaged it to China the way it seems your Govt. has done for you! I TRUELY HOPE things pick up for you personally and your economy , South of the Border!!!...... Norm :

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.