Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first aluminum tig job at work.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My first aluminum tig job at work.

    I pie cut the ducts on a Detroit Diesel air cooler to spread them apart an inch and a half. Used a Lincoln Tig 300 with watercooler and 4043 to welded it up. I think 5356 would have been a better choice but the boss wanted it done with what he had....so the unfortunate part I was stuck trying to use 4043 and a balled Thoriated Tungsten.....it didn't come out too pretty. I know thoriated isn't the right tungsten for the job and I can see why now. Dave
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Don't be too hard on yourself, it doesn't look so bad.
    Sometimes the bottom line is that it works good and I'm sure the customer will be happy!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

    at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

    Comment


    • #3
      The customer is my boss LOL. I wanted to clean it up he said it was good enough. LOL.
      Originally posted by c wagner View Post
      Don't be too hard on yourself, it doesn't look so bad.
      Sometimes the bottom line is that it works good and I'm sure the customer will be happy!

      Comment


      • #4
        Why did you ball it?

        I never ball my thoriated when I use it on aluminum, and it's practically the only tungsten I ever use (transformer machine, no less).
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

        Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

        Comment


        • #5
          As c wagner says "don't be too hard on yourself".
          Seeing as the weld looks to be on Aluminium castings then 4043 is the filler I would choose as well, I find it to be a little more "user friendly" for castings.
          If that was my 1st go at work I would be very happy with the results and so should you be.
          Now just tell your boss you want to do all the tig work that comes in and go for it.
          Regards Andrew from Oz.
          We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

          Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
          OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
          Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks. We don't have much tig work at all to do. I balled it cause the one that was there was balled. It didn't seem right to me, but the guy that left was a really good tig guy. The balled thoriated doesn't work so well though LOL. It splinters/cracks at the ball. I thought my school welding teacher told me 5356 is better for cast. I remember welding some 1/16" cast stuff from home depot in school and 4043 wouldn't hardly bond. It worked out good so far on this cooler. Dave
            Originally posted by awill4x4 View Post
            As c wagner says "don't be too hard on yourself".
            Seeing as the weld looks to be on Aluminium castings then 4043 is the filler I would choose as well, I find it to be a little more "user friendly" for castings.
            If that was my 1st go at work I would be very happy with the results and so should you be.
            Now just tell your boss you want to do all the tig work that comes in and go for it.
            Regards Andrew from Oz.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
              Thanks. We don't have much tig work at all to do. I balled it cause the one that was there was balled. It didn't seem right to me, but the guy that left was a really good tig guy. The balled thoriated doesn't work so well though LOL. It splinters/cracks at the ball. I thought my school welding teacher told me 5356 is better for cast. I remember welding some 1/16" cast stuff from home depot in school and 4043 wouldn't hardly bond. It worked out good so far on this cooler. Dave
              4043 is the "go to" cast rod for sure and if it doesn't weld/fuse you could about bet 5356 would be a step in the wrong direction. Then it starts to get expensive after that. Nice job BTW

              www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

              Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                I think 5356 would have been a better choice...
                I would be concerned with 5356 if the temperature gets above 150 degrees. formation of Al2Mg at elevated temperatures at the grain boundaries makes this alloy prone to stress corrosion.
                Miller Thunderbolt
                Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
                Miller Dynasty 200DX
                Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
                Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
                16" DuAll Saw
                15" Drill Press
                7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
                20 Ton Arbor Press
                Bridgeport
                Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

                Comment

                Working...
                X