Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron & plasma

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron & plasma

Can you plasma cut cast iron or if not .........what? I have to cut the center out of a cast iron floor drain cover.

Yes, plasma cuts cast well.

Comment

I second that... plasma works well on most anything that conducts electricity

Comment

Thanks guys...........Nick

Comment

Originally posted by pyro2 View Post
          I second that... plasma works well on most anything that conducts electricity
          I thought I heard one could not plasma cut aluminum.....?????

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor:

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
            I thought I heard one could not plasma cut aluminum.....?????
            NOT TRUE!!....... Norm :

Comment

It cuts aluminum great. It's just that raw plasma-cut edges aren't ideal for welding because of the oxides, and the HAZ.

Comment

Originally posted by spotsineyes View Post
                It cuts aluminum great. It's just that raw plasma-cut edges aren't ideal for welding because of the oxides, and the HAZ.
                Could you explain more. I'am thinking about buy a plasma cutter and don't know a alot about them. what do you mean buy "HAZ" I understand the oxides part. I think. This can be cleaned up by a stainless wire brush then welded. thanks daye

Comment

Heat Affected Zone. I don't remember what was said in other posts as to how it affects the weld, now that I think about it.
                  Last edited by spotsineyes; 11-18-2008, 06:46 PM.

Comment

HAZ: heat affected zone. The properties of the material are changed in the HAZ in a variety of ways, and depend on the material. Examples include loss of heat treatment, growth of grain structure, loss of toughness or strength (due to the annealing of cold worked material), microscopic cracks....

For aluminum, loss of heat treatment from heat treated alloys is probably the major issue, same as when laying on weld, but grain growth and cracking can also be an issue with some alloys.

Clean up before welding with a file, carbide burr, or other mechanical cutting method to remove oxide. Just brushing, or improper grinding, can drive bits of the oxide into the metal surface. The weld heat will USUALLY do more to the mechanical and chemical properties than the heat from plasma cutting.

Comment

Thanks, that clear it up.
                      daye

Comment

Plasma Cutting Aluminum

I've also found that nitrogen (dry air) makes for a better cut on aluminum

Comment

I seem to remember a thread a while back ago about aluminum aircraft panels. If I remember right, they are not to be cut with plasma due to the effect of the HAZ.

Comment

A good dessicant air dryer just prior to the Plasma improves the cuts and the tip life as well. The media can be recharged many times by heating to 250 deg untill it changes back to the "dry" color.

Comment

Door skin

I cut some small patterns out of door skin (1\16) it was damp from being outside,but it worked well enough for what I neded at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.