Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stand for Acetylene/Air Torch

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand for Acetylene/Air Torch

Attached are some pictures of a stand that I built for my daughters "B" size Acetylene tank that she uses with her Acetylene/Air torch for Jewelry making as part of her metal working class at Western Michigan University. I designed a place for the all of the stuff that she uses with the torch. I have also included two pictures of her silver soldering some silver earrings. In the first she is heating the earing to melt the flux. In the second she is using a titanium pick to transfer a drop of solder to the joint. Its been a great learning experience for me as well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Don52; 11-15-2008, 09:58 PM.

That's a nice bit of metal fab, looks well thought out. And I love aluminum, soft, easy to work with, and after you're done welding; you're done. No paint needed.

Please get your Daughter to wear safety glasses. I have a scar just outside the iris on my left eye from a solder splash.

Comment

Lucky she has a father that is into welding I thought she would be using a much smaller torch!! Wish they had classes like that in Hawaii
      Great job on the cart!!!!!!!!

Comment

Would'nt it be better to use a small victor O/A set?
        Great work on the stand.

Comment

Don, very nice job on the stand, looks like your daughter really enjoys what she is doing. I agree with Craig though, see if you can get her to wear safety glasses, maybe even goggles, we only get one pair of eyes in life.

Originally posted by Bert View Post
          Wish they had classes like that in Hawaii
          Say Bert, they do in Oahu and Honolulu. I think the instructor is even a Hula girl
          Last edited by KBar; 11-16-2008, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
            Would'nt it be better to use a small victor O/A set?
            Great work on the stand.
            You don't need the Oxy for Jewelry work.

Comment

Thanks for all comments. I will remind my daughter to wear her safety glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Don52 View Post
                Thanks for all comments. I will remind my daughter to wear her safety glasses.
                They have plenty of Cool ones these days

Comment

looks great. lot of work for a tank holder, i'm shore she is very happy to have it. now tell her to wear the glasses or you will take it back.

Comment

That's one sweet looking tank holder! Are the arces where teh tip holder part is cut with a plasma or bandsaw?. I have to agree with everyone else about the glasses, so tell her "alot of people you know worry" maybe that'll help :P

I'm surprised that's such a large torch for jewelry. I thought it would be one of those micro victor sets i see at the LWS all the time. I think it's really cool to see women into welding, brazing, soldering etc... it's just not that common and it's very cool. I can imagine her being out on a date when something breaks on the car and she has the wrench from and the car just about finished by the time he finds the number for Tipple A (AAA) LOL LOL

Just curious does she do any other welding or metal working, like TIG, MIG etc..?

I remember when i first met my wife, I had been called to a buddy's house to double check a motor install before it was fired up and she was there helping. I remember saying to myself in a joking manner "she looks like brittney spears with a ratchet and some grease on her hands"...make up still intact and all

Comment

Are the arcs where the tip holder part is cut with a plasma or bandsaw?
                      I just used my sabre saw. I haven't purchased a band saw or plasma cutter (yet).

I'm surprised that's such a large torch for jewelry. I thought it would be one of those micro victor sets i see at the LWS all the time.
                      The Smith Silversmith Jewelry Torch is the same one that is used in her class with acetylene/air. She is using the smallest size 00 tip. The oxy-acetylene torches such as the Smith "little torch" are very popular but have a small hot flame. Her teacher says that they are actually harder to use.

Just curious does she do any other welding or metal working, like TIG, MIG etc..?
                      She hasn't got into Tig or Mig yet. Her two studio classes require a lot of time and keep her busy. Her other studio class is silk screening. Her last major project was a 3,000 piece stained glass window, which was 5' x 5' that she soldered, but that was done with a soldering iron, not a torch. Attached is a link to the finished work. It is actually a large flower.

I have to agree with everyone else about the glasses, so tell her "alot of people you know worry" maybe that'll help :P
                      She said that she would wear her safety glasses in the future. Thanks for all the concerns and personal stories.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice stand. I like that you added a place for all the accessories. Makes it an all-in-one carrier -- unlike my Victor portable O/A tank kit.

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        Wish they had classes like that in Hawaii
                        Try Linekona School or Art Academy or whatever they're called these days.

Comment

Nice job on the tank holder!

Comment

That's a great looking stand!

On small torches: I got a Meco Midget last year and I'm really impressed with it. It's bigger than a Smith "little torch" but smaller than the jeweler's air/fuel torch. You don't really need the temp of O/A for most jewelry work, but it's become my go-to torch for small silver brazing projects and working with thin gauge materials. O/A lets you do some things that aren't possible with just air/fuel. (I don't endorse smoking - the pack of cigs under the torch is just for scale.)
                            Attached Files

Comment

then why did you have pack cigs handy?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.