Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for a versatile gas and wire setup? (MIG)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by herzet View Post
    In the company that I work we use a 92/8 mixture. We do every thing from short arc, spray transer, and pulse welding. You will achieve higher penetration with 100% CO2 but will be unable to spray arc. The excess amount of weld splatter is also a draw back. Straight CO2 is much cheaper as well. A 92/8 mixture will do all that you want to do but is quite a lot more expensive. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I have to disagree with this. I used (twice) 98% Ar / 2% Oxy. I hated it and will never use it again. I could not get it to wet out and it ran a very high bead in the center, and had lots of undercut on the outside. I used it for spray. It would spray at the lower volts, but I like 90/10 lots better. It did run hotter. I never used it in short arc. I still have a full bottle of it that I need to get rid of.

Maybe you are taking about 98 ar/ 2 co2. I have never used that, and never heard of it, but they might make it.

My sugestion to the orginal poster is to get a used smith mixer like I said before. 2 bottles of gas, two regulators, and a used mixer can be had for less than $500. that way you get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by ace4059 View Post
      I have to disagree with this. I used (twice) 98% Ar / 2% Oxy. I hated it and will never use it again. I could not get it to wet out and it ran a very high bead in the center, and had lots of undercut on the outside. I used it for spray. It would spray at the lower volts, but I like 90/10 lots better. It did run hotter. I never used it in short arc. I still have a full bottle of it that I need to get rid of.

Maybe you are taking about 98 ar/ 2 co2. I have never used that, and never heard of it, but they might make it.

My sugestion to the orginal poster is to get a used smith mixer like I said before. 2 bottles of gas, two regulators, and a used mixer can be had for less than $500. that way you get the best of both worlds.

We have all of our weld gas delivered in bulk (semi tanks). We have a mixing station that mixes our gas 92% argon and 8% CO2. We have ran this mixture for 25+ years. It is a great gas mixture for production line welding. The reduced splatter is a giant plus. We weld any thing from 20 ga up to and including 1/2 inch. Our main wire is .045 Lincoln L56. We have no trouble with spray transfer. It make a difference using 3 phase industrial welding equipment though. All of our new weld machines are Miller Acess 450's. They are a GREAT running machine.

Comment

Working...
      X