Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

''dumb waiter''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ''dumb waiter''

    Has anybody ever built a ''dumb waiter'' or elavator that is powered by a overhead electric winch?
    2 -225 bobcats 1 Koehler 1 Onan
    Kalamazoo band saw
    Dewalt dry cut carbide tooth chop saw
    Hitachi grinders and drills
    Miller 210 mig
    IR air compressor Koehler engine
    Hypertherm Plasma cutter

  • #2
    I had a call a few days ago from a customer that wants one built to go from his basement to his first floor. I go look at his house on Fri...Bob
    Bob Wright

    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm building one now.
      Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
      My own shop since 1981
      Cya Frank

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        I had a call a few days ago from a customer that wants one built to go from his basement to his first floor. I go look at his house on Fri...Bob

        Originally posted by Frank865 View Post
        I'm building one now.


        No kidding...this sounds very interesting to me. Please show us some handy-work if you can someday on this.
        This could be a good niche' for me if things don't come back as good as they were before the economy problems.

        www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

        Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

        Comment


        • #5
          i have seen pic's of one made with one of the lifts from HF. i'll see if i can find them for ya.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

          Comment


          • #6
            I had one in my house that was about 21" sq and went from the basement to my 2nd floor with doors on 2 floors. One day while working on the pipes to the tub i crawled up the chute and was tightening a leaking union that was also in the space. I was standing on 2 little cleats nailed to the wall and the little cleat gave away and, yup all the way to the basement, right now and there was no slowing down, then came the pipe wrench. My wife saw me go past the door about 100 miles an hour and she was in tears laughing so hard. Its funny now but back then i was hurting esp when the pipe wrench hit my back. Just something stupid that happened that i prob wouldn't do now...Bob
            Bob Wright

            Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chasew27 View Post
              Has anybody ever built a ''dumb waiter'' or elavator that is powered by a overhead electric winch?
              No, but I sure have dealt with a few
              Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

              Comment


              • #8
                Grandpa

                Hello it has been awhile since i did this and it probaly will be for after i post this i will get some NEG. flack like i did when i asked about my trailer but thats beside the point. What i got to say is my grandpa built one out of wood like 2x8's, 2x6's, 2x4's and some huge chain the electric winch was like a 8 ton manual chain hoist my uncle got from planters penuts in suffolk VA while he worked there and some how my grandpa mounted a drill motor and a gear to both the hoist and motor. Anyways it sounds like a throw together job but it worked for 24 years now and it has hoisted and lowered some heavy things down into his basement he built a quater inch thick steel wood heater 5 foot high 4 foot wide and 4 foot front to backand then he lowered enough bricks down to fill it up to hold the heat inside the heater. So in say all of this if it is possable to build a "JERRY RIG" like he did and it work for as long as it did carring the loads it did i know a steel one will do a alot more than what his did by a far shot anyways glad i could help any later josh

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Frank865 View Post
                  I'm building one now.
                  How big is it and what kind of track are you making? The one I'm building is in a new house addition but they did not have it in the plans, so the space is barely big enough for what they want to do.
                  2 -225 bobcats 1 Koehler 1 Onan
                  Kalamazoo band saw
                  Dewalt dry cut carbide tooth chop saw
                  Hitachi grinders and drills
                  Miller 210 mig
                  IR air compressor Koehler engine
                  Hypertherm Plasma cutter

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                    I had one in my house that was about 21" sq and went from the basement to my 2nd floor with doors on 2 floors. One day while working on the pipes to the tub i crawled up the chute and was tightening a leaking union that was also in the space. I was standing on 2 little cleats nailed to the wall and the little cleat gave away and, yup all the way to the basement, right now and there was no slowing down, then came the pipe wrench. My wife saw me go past the door about 100 miles an hour and she was in tears laughing so hard. Its funny now but back then i was hurting esp when the pipe wrench hit my back. Just something stupid that happened that i prob wouldn't do now...Bob


                    That's hilarious. I needed a good laugh today and picturing that did the trick.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Some funny story!

                      Post pics if you build it.
                      sigpic

                      Miller 140 w A/S
                      HF 90 Amp Flux Core
                      Dewalt Chop Saw
                      Smith O/A Torch
                      Ryobi, HF grinders

                      Harley Electra Glide Classic

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X