Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent structural work pics

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent structural work pics

A few pics some of my latest work.12"x4"x3/8"HSS 16'-8"long gussted with 6"x4"x1/2" HSS 9' long with a 8"x4"x1/2" angle clip on the bottom.All galvanized as its to extend a existing car wash bay.The other a W-10 49lbs./ft I beam 18'-9" long on top of 2-12"x6"x3/8"HSS vertical columns.And me on the ladder fluxcore welding.
    Attached Files

What kind of flux core wire are you running?

Comment

NR-212 OR 232 .068 OR 5/64 dia.Started yesterday with .068 finished with 5/64 used 212 on this job all i had on the truck at the time.

Comment

This may sound silly, but have you ever had an inspector tell you you couldn't use wire feeders? I ran into that on a job, the customer called for us to use straight up flux core(no dual sheild) and when we got there the D.O.T. inspector said no way...

Comment

Yes on bridge code work,cover plates mostly,they want you maintain interpass temps.They usually give you a WPS before you start the job telling what process they want.
          Last edited by admweld; 11-09-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

The customer did...( it's a well known bridge contractor ) they had all the paperwork there, we had all our certs, it was a railroad bridge, oh well... we got it done anyway, i digress...

Comment

Just a quik photo of a some beams we put up for a limo company
              Attached Files

Comment

What did they use them for?And what are the sitting on? looks like some 1/2" angle clips with gussets.

Comment

3/4" clips w/gussets, they needed more room to turn the limo's into the bldg. so we cut out a coll. and added these beams like headers, the engineer wanted us to hang them by not more than a 3/8" wide x 18" long bead... i asked if i could set them on clips, mainly because i had to set them up there with a machine, and they each weighed in at 3700#, i felt better with a shelf to rest them on... call me silly

Comment

Column

I am not trying to be critical, but dont you think the columns you used are a little out of proportion to the size of the beams?

Comment

Originally posted by starweld View Post
                      I am not trying to be critical, but dont you think the columns you used are a little out of proportion to the size of the beams?
                      Not my call.General contractor/Carpenter had drawings from structural engineer/architects hired by building owner.I just weld and install steel for a living.I don,t size it up.If it was say a plowframe for a big hiway sized plow truck then thats a different story i build what i know works.
                      Last edited by admweld; 11-11-2008, 05:24 PM.

Comment

If your refering to me.... Don't worry about being critical... I was hired to weld the beams in place, the engineer on the job ordered the steel and me and my crew attached it to the exsisting colls. The colls. were 8x40# and the beam was 24x94# , untill i have a PE stamp i do as i'm told there was a lot of stuff on that job that didn't seem right, but, in the end i got my check, so all is well
                        Last edited by pyro2; 11-11-2008, 04:14 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Few more as progress goes on.

Here are couple more pics after the carpenter did his work at the car wash.And i added 4" more to the front of the lentil clips thanks to the engineers mistake they needed 11-1/2" to hold the concrete arch he had 8x4 angle. But now at least you can see it take shape.Told customer to paint all welds and exposed steel that did'nt get galvinized.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.