Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help. Battering ram.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
    Please read the above posts . Dave
    dave,

    You still have not answered WHY you can not leave the tube open.

    If you have to have the tube boxed/capped, I doubt you are going to find any cheaper AND good way to do it other than welding it up like you did with the Diamond Plate.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

    Comment


    • #32
      laser cut a blank that can be press fit in the end. use a heavy interference fit.

      Comment


      • #33
        You made a hundred of these 6 months back, and now you've got R&D problems?

        http://millerwelds.com/resources/com...ad.php?t=12636

        Just water jet the caps and add another $100 per unit. Heck, it's only taxpayer money anyways right?
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

        Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

        Comment


        • #34
          Yes I did. Still in the testing stage. Are you the negative one from the last time around? If you are your pessimistic attitude/opinion isn't really needed as you were just a &*^% stirrer....the ends are not left open because the company wants them closed for cosmetic reasons. Dave
          Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
          You made a hundred of these 6 months back, and now you've got R&D problems?

          http://millerwelds.com/resources/com...ad.php?t=12636

          Just water jet the caps and add another $100 per unit. Heck, it's only taxpayer money anyways right?

          Comment


          • #35
            I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but if you used 1/8 steel diamond plate it would add about $8.25 retail or about 1/2 that your cost to the unit. 1 sheet 4x8 @ .85 pound = $140 & you"ll get 288 pcs from it. That's 50 cents each cost or 75 cents retail. Total time including shearing & welding would be 5 minutes (in quantity less time)tops @ $90 per hour = $7.50 I just don't see any other way to make it "bullet proof" besides welding on a cap. I really hope you can find an alternative but I can't come up with one that is cheaper & solid.
            Last edited by MMW; 11-10-2008, 04:44 PM.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
            Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
            Syncrowave 250
            RCCS-14

            Comment


            • #36
              uhmw

              you could make a plug out of uhmw black not the white which is really shock asorbent then take nascar pop rivits and put it in place then have it power coated job done
              Dynasty 200DX
              maxstar 150

              Comment


              • #37
                the ends are not left open because the company wants them closed for cosmetic reasons.

                IMHO:
                It's for a SWAT team, they're carrying guns and wearing bullet proof vests. They do their job in a HIGH stress environment. What do they care about cosmetics? I sounds like the politicians have their finger in this and want it PRETTY.

                I'll bet the ones asking for the cap, didn't ask the guys using it, if it needs to be capped.
                RETIRED desk jockey.

                Hobby weldor with a little training.

                Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

                Miller Syncrowave 250.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #38
                  LOL......that's funny. And to the other guy.....it may be for a SWAT tea, but it still has to be cosmetically appealling for the most part. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants somethin ugly....LOL
                  Originally posted by The Breeze View Post
                  you could make a plug out of uhmw black not the white which is really shock asorbent then take nascar pop rivits and put it in place then have it power coated job done

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Why dont you just use a nice thick piece of steel like whats on the other end? I realize that the business end has a pry tool on it but why not just have a piece of flat stock welded on the same way. It would add a bit a weight but not so much as filling the tube with shot...
                    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

                    Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
                    Miller 180 w/Autoset
                    Old cutting torch on LPG

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      At the risk of helping this guy, it would be a poor decision to add excess mass so far away from the working end of the ram. Since straight thrusting (traditional battering) isn't the tools primary objective (as indicated by the swiss army knife-esque video), the addition of mass so far away from the working end, will not benefit the tools function, but will increase the fatigue on the troop carrying it.

                      There's a reason maul hammers don't have heavy handles - the added mass is in the wrong spot.

                      Were it just a traditional battering ram, the mass wouldn't matter where it was located.

                      Something else to consider with this things design is that the actual force changes with acceleration, just as much as it does with mass. Look at ballistics of bullets. You can get the same ft-lbs out of a smaller bullet at a higher speed. It's easier for a man to accelerate a lighter object than a heavy one (baseball bats would be a prime example). Maybe your research should be focused on the practical effects of being able to swing a lighter boot - oops, you already made 100 heavy ones.
                      Syncrowave 250DX
                      Invison 354MP
                      XR Control and 30A

                      Airco MED20 feeder
                      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                      Smith O/A rig
                      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Never ends with you does it? LOL. Please read through all the posts before posting. R&D has been done with the exception of the end of the tube.....that's still up in the air. That's all I asked for help with. Go build a better mouse trap if that's what you want to do. I just asked for some help with the cap for the tube. It has a specific weight after many many hours of testing by the designers and testing facilities. This is where it needs to be. It works VERY efficiently in it's current state. Dave
                        Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                        At the risk of helping this guy, it would be a poor decision to add excess mass so far away from the working end of the ram. Since straight thrusting (traditional battering) isn't the tools primary objective (as indicated by the swiss army knife-esque video), the addition of mass so far away from the working end, will not benefit the tools function, but will increase the fatigue on the troop carrying it.

                        There's a reason maul hammers don't have heavy handles - the added mass is in the wrong spot.

                        Were it just a traditional battering ram, the mass wouldn't matter where it was located.

                        Something else to consider with this things design is that the actual force changes with acceleration, just as much as it does with mass. Look at ballistics of bullets. You can get the same ft-lbs out of a smaller bullet at a higher speed. It's easier for a man to accelerate a lighter object than a heavy one (baseball bats would be a prime example). Maybe your research should be focused on the practical effects of being able to swing a lighter boot - oops, you already made 100 heavy ones.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I would think that anything you inserted in the tube would easily shake out after a little use, w/wo interference fit. (I think someone suggested expandable foam or plastic blocks of some sort.) What if you welded a nut on the back side of the anvil and just bolted an aluminum or plastic cap that was indexed on the edges?
                          Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

                          Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
                          Miller 180 w/Autoset
                          Old cutting torch on LPG

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            No Really

                            Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                            LOL......that's funny. And to the other guy.....it may be for a SWAT tea, but it still has to be cosmetically appealling for the most part. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants somethin ugly....LOL
                            I would think the uglier and meaner looking the better. What Swat or MP wants a pretty looking tool.

                            It is all about intimidation that is why most of their tools are black. They want the dark fearsome look.

                            Two observations

                            1. why not use a plug instead of a cap then you can stich the corners and call it good.

                            2. Have you considered using round tube instead of square. The reason I say this is two fold. First you could get round end caps cheap and second you could fit it is a large steel ball and make it like a huge deadblow. Oh wait that may not be a good idea MFG wise and with that much more force you could eliminate the need for the second unit and then your sales would be halved.
                            Every question in life has an answer of

                            YES OR NO

                            Maybe = NO



                            Keep life simple and enjoy it!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              uhmw

                              like a uhmw plug 45 the edges then clip the corners of the tool then fold them in and weld the corners up pop rivit it in place :eek
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              maxstar 150

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                                LOL......that's funny. And to the other guy.....it may be for a SWAT tea, but it still has to be cosmetically appealling for the most part. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants somethin ugly....LOL
                                You are SOOOOO wrong. The best ram we had was designed by the guys using it: 1/2 rail road tie (before preserving ) rope and pipe for handles. Worked real well and didn't cost an arm and leg. And we didn't care what it looked like--it worked.

                                In fact IMHO and yea, I know you didn't ask for one but your getting one anyway, the pry hooks are going to be a problem to someone sometime and someone could get injured.

                                See that is just the problem: the designers and bean counters really don't care about who's using them--just about the money.

                                Well, there is one exception and his name if Richard Davis. If you know who he is then you'll know what he's about.

                                Just my 2.
                                The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X