No announcement yet.

Need some help. Battering ram.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why they are getting away from the plastic caps. Quality is of utmost importance, but, on the otherhand that doesn't mean you need the most expensive alternative used. This MAY end up being the way to go but looking to improve at all times. It's not a finalized tool. It is being heavily tested and modified still. Not totally done with the idea of a welded on cap, just looking for other ideas. That's what design and fabrication is. Yes, your idea is good but maybe someone has a better, simpler idea? Dave
    Originally posted by Sberry View Post
    You have a point but,,, if this is a deal breaker then this product is likely under priced to start with. Even effort to source different materials and change a process when you have the equipment at hand may not be worth the effort. In this kind of product the money is made on the marketing end, not primarily on the production and it relies heavily on its quality and low warranty claims, it cant afford a customer to perceive it as a pos, real or not. I would be very leery of putting a piece of plastic on this fine tool, it really sabotages the marketing efforts.

Comment

Personally I'd go for the checker-plate cap myself... but I'm not trying to make a ??? (few hundred... thousand??) of these things...

If your numbers are in the thousands, then I wouldn't shelve the mass-produced plastic cap either.. (nothing gets hit on this end right?)... I'm sure you would find some polyethylene or similar tough material that you could have made special that would be a tough plastic and not break from the impact forces coursing through the thing...

Numbers would have to be high to justify the effort to pick the right material, and then have it molded up though...

Al...

Comment

Numbers are hoping to be in the high 4 digits or more. This thing creates alot of energy . They are testing the welded cap now and the thing may even need a breather hole as to not distortt the metal. Dave
        Originally posted by araspitfire View Post
        Personally I'd go for the checker-plate cap myself... but I'm not trying to make a ??? (few hundred... thousand??) of these things...

If your numbers are in the thousands, then I wouldn't shelve the mass-produced plastic cap either.. (nothing gets hit on this end right?)... I'm sure you would find some polyethylene or similar tough material that you could have made special that would be a tough plastic and not break from the impact forces coursing through the thing...

Numbers would have to be high to justify the effort to pick the right material, and then have it molded up though...

Al...

Comment

My Two Cents

If weight is not to inportant, fill it with Concrete, smooth out the top, let it cure and powder coat the thing.
          Good luck with sales, it looks like it would be fun to use.

Comment

I was interested in the numbers too and that is about what I might have guessed the potential to be. Pricing something can be difficult, something like this could be 5x the cost of production.

Comment

You better get it on the market soon because someone else will outsource it to china & under cut your price big time. Something like this you need to make your money quickly because once it starts selling other people will make copies for less & flood the market. They change it slightly & it doesn't matter if you have a patent or not. We used to prototype exercise machines for a guy & then he would take it to china to have them made. Made, powder coated, boxed, shipped to US & delivered to the warehouse for the same price as we could buy the material.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

A diiferent approach?.

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                Here you go....the open end is where the cap is needed.
                What if when starting with the bare main tube,you sliced a piece of it
                off, welded it inside and out, and then re-attached it by butt-welding
                it back on.
                Your thick handle would then cross brace the kinetic energy force pattern.
                the only issue that would be tricky is if you were filling the tube with
                lead or steel shot, like a Dead-Blow hammer(more energy forward on impact).
                Still, you could drill a small hole for that later.

Comment

The weight is seon the ram. It is a tool that eliminates all of what a swat member carries so that's not too adjustable. Dave
                  Originally posted by Orbitalgrind View Post
                  What if when starting with the bare main tube,you sliced a piece of it
                  off, welded it inside and out, and then re-attached it by butt-welding
                  it back on.
                  Your thick handle would then cross brace the kinetic energy force pattern.
                  the only issue that would be tricky is if you were filling the tube with
                  lead or steel shot, like a Dead-Blow hammer(more energy forward on impact).
                  Still, you could drill a small hole for that later.

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                    Why can't you just leave it open? I'm thinking it's only for cosmetic reasons that you want it capped or is there some specific reason it can't be left open.
                    yeah, what he said.

Powder coat that sucker and call it a day. Problem solved with no additional expense.
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                      The weight is seon the ram. It is a tool that eliminates all of what a swat member carries so that's not too adjustable. Dave
                      If the plastic cap is your final answer, how about filling the inside of the cap with Duramix#4247(now 3M product),it's what the car dealers fix front plastic bumpers with.

Comment

I googled steel tube caps and came up with these, they appear to be cast iron though and probably would not hold up to the vibration. You would also still be burdoned with welding them on. I kind of like the idea of leaving them open, but then again, I'm not the customer.

http://www.sfsupplies.com/default.sfs?productid=1467

Maybe you could design a holder for mounting the unit that would use the open end so it looks like the end is left open for a reason.
                        To all who contribute to this board.
                        My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                        Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                        Miller Syncrowave 250
                        Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Do you have access to a press brake? maybe you could bend up two seporate channels and fit them together to make the box shape? if you plan to outsource any work you may want to consider using bent shapes instead of mechanical tubing, at least where i'm at the price of the plate would be cheaper than buying the tube... maybe i'm rambling
                          Kelly

Trailblazer 301D
                          2 XMT 304's
                          Dynasty 300 Tigrunner
                          Spectrum 2050
                          XR with ALUMA-PRO
                          12RC suitcase
                          Millermatic 251
                          60a feeder
                          Ellis 1600
                          Bridgeport
                          16" southbend
                          Too many Hand tools...

Comment

What about the price of ur labor to bend the plate up and weld it etc? Do you guys see the open end of the 4" tube? That's all we need to figure out. All these other things seem like twice the work of anything I'v e already done. Was just looking for a more productive, cost effective and reliable way to cap the end of a 4" tube. Not reengineer the whole deal. Dave
                            Originally posted by pyro2 View Post
                            Do you have access to a press brake? maybe you could bend up two seporate channels and fit them together to make the box shape? if you plan to outsource any work you may want to consider using bent shapes instead of mechanical tubing, at least where i'm at the price of the plate would be cheaper than buying the tube... maybe i'm rambling

Comment

sorry... why dont you buy some 4" flatbar and cut squares off and weld them on?
                              Kelly

Trailblazer 301D
                              2 XMT 304's
                              Dynasty 300 Tigrunner
                              Spectrum 2050
                              XR with ALUMA-PRO
                              12RC suitcase
                              Millermatic 251
                              60a feeder
                              Ellis 1600
                              Bridgeport
                              16" southbend
                              Too many Hand tools...

Comment

Please read the above posts . Dave
                                Originally posted by pyro2 View Post
                                sorry... why dont you buy some 4" flatbar and cut squares off and weld them on?

Comment

Working...
                                X