Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extension cord

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension cord

I have a Millermatic 252-I was wondering if I could safely use my 60 ft 6/3 wire extension cord. I believe the welder comes with 8/3 wiring. Im using a 220 50 amp power source.

That cord is plenty. Go for it!

Comment

I'm not a electrician, but 6/3 wire sounds to small for 50 amps over a 60ft run. Your going to have a pretty big voltage drop when you start drawing some high current. When I re-wired my detached garage, it was a 40ft run and I put 4 guage wire in and according to code I can safely run up to 70 amps.

Comment

First, he'll only pull 50A when welding at full-tilt. Second, his duty-cycle will keep him in check, even at that distance, which is really not that long, IMPO. Many runs even in residential settings are over 60 feet, and #6 wire is rated for more than 60A in many situations. I wouldn't even give this a second thought.

Comment

wile i would tend to agree with MAC on it i would look in my manual, dosent it have a chart for cords and whats needed for what distance.
          i'll look around i think i have one but like mac said the 252 only pulls that at max and then for a short time.
          if it was mine i would go for it, but hey thats me. i'll see if i can dig up the chart if you cant find one in the manual.

Comment

MAC is the expert here. If he says it's enough, you can take it to the bank.

In my owner's manual for the MM 251 they specify a minimum conductor size in AWG of 8 with a maximum length of 127' (@230V). Your #6 AWG wire is more than adequate to power the MM 252.

Relax and burn some wire.

Comment

hehehe.....

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.