Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Amps To Mig Weld 1/6 Alum. Jetski Block

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Amps To Mig Weld 1/6 Alum. Jetski Block

Just Bought A Clarke 185 Sg To Weld Jetski/outboard Motor Blocks,what Amps Should I Use,i Beleive The Mig Welder Welds Between 120-150, Is That Too Much Amps?i Know I Have To Use 100% Argon,not Sure Of Type Of Wire,thanks For Any Help.

I have doubts that mig is going to give you the desired results. Normally casting repairs are done in tig. For wire choice it is going to be a gamble, as it will depend on the base material but maybe 1100.

Comment

Yep, Mig isn't going to do you much good, what are you trying to repair on these blocks anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
        Yep, Mig isn't going to do you much good, what are you trying to repair on these blocks anyways?
        repairing small holes in jetski block,on the outboard motor,have to fill in threaded hole-retap

Comment

I weld a bunch of these blocks fairly regular. 4043 would be your best bet.
          If you can get it to fuse. Is this the HotShot? I would run it as hot as it would go and then turn it down if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
            I weld a bunch of these blocks fairly regular. 4043 would be your best bet.
            If you can get it to fuse. Is this the HotShot? I would run it as hot as it would go and then turn it down if needed.
            ITS THE HOT SHOT MODEL # WE6442 185SG [220] DID NOT RECEIVE IT YET THROUGH THE MAIL,DO THEY MAKE 2 DIFFERENT MODELS ?,THE 1 THAT I BOUGHT DOES NOT HAVE THE LOW AND HIGH SWITCH,BOUGHT IT ON E-BAY FOR 265.00 CAN YOU WELD 1" GAPS WITH A MIG WELDER,NEVER MIG WELDED BEFORE-THANKS FOR THE INFO MY E/M ADDRESS IS KAWIPARTS@AOL.COM

Comment

Can these holes not be heli-coiled? a helicoil will a safer repair longterm. My opinion don't kill the messenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Seaman View Post
                Can these holes not be heli-coiled? a helicoil will a safer repair longterm. My opinion don't kill the messenger.
                only some of them can be heli-coiled

Comment

Can you post pics?

A 1" gap is pretty big, most would build it up with TIG. Cast alum can be 'dirty' and TIG can float the impurities out. MIG is so aggressive, there's no time for that.

You have never migged before, do you have any welding experience? Don't try learning on an expensive part.

You can go up to User CP and fill in your location, maybe one of these guys is in your area.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                    Can you post pics?

A 1" gap is pretty big, most would build it up with TIG. Cast alum can be 'dirty' and TIG can float the impurities out. MIG is so aggressive, there's no time for that.

You have never migged before, do you have any welding experience? Don't try learning on an expensive part.

You can go up to User CP and fill in your location, maybe one of these guys is in your area.
                    will post some pics tomorrow,only stick welded before,going to practice on cheap jetski block

Comment

pic of jetski ultra 150 block[called cases]

Comment

jetski cases

how do you upload pic,its saying it too big,thanks

Comment

Take the pics into microsoft paint or photoshop and resize them. I'm not sure what this board requires, but i know if my camera is on any more than 640 x 480 pixels or whatever that the files will be too large to upload and i use paint to shrink them.

Comment

jetski cases block

jetski cases block
                            Attached Files

Comment

Child's play
                              Grind out that crack and bevel those edges and start circling inside the squares, alternating to avoid too much heat, until they are closed up. Then build up those ridges. I would fill the squares a bit more than stock for more beef. Flip it over and fill any low spots and grind it untill almost flush and then use cartridge rolls or flap wheels/disc for finish.
                              If you are really picky then do the same on the ouside and then play with the surface with a stone on the die grinder to get a finish very close to original
                              I find casting repair is way more prep and finish than welding.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.