Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

jib crane/ winch input?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryan L View Post
    it looks like two pieces. One vertical stand with two swinging pin joints, and a arm. The pics look like at least 1/2" steel if not bigger.
    All 1" thk.

Comment

It,s up!

Here is a pic.With a test load of 720lbs i think i need to box the vertical I- beam the top 3' at least it seems to torsional twist when i swing the load.Meaning cap the outer web flanges vertically and create a boxed i beam.You follow me?
      Attached Files

Comment

Is the I-beam anchored at the top somewhere or is it just sunk into the floor? Boxing in the I-beam will help to keep it from twisting. Greasing the swing joints will also help it to not twist. Will the hoist be fixed mounted as in the pic or will it be on a trolley when it is all done?

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
          Is the I-beam anchored at the top somewhere or is it just sunk into the floor? Boxing in the I-beam will help to keep it from twisting. Greasing the swing joints will also help it to not twist. Will the hoist be fixed mounted as in the pic or will it be on a trolley when it is all done?
          It,s anchored to the floor at the base plate only.The pins and flanges are greased maybe could use a little more.But i,m going to box the top 3 or 3-1/2ft.to start any how.The winch stays fixed on the mounting plate at the end of the boom.
          Last edited by admweld; 11-23-2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

That looks good. Nice work.

Comment

I boxed the top 60"of the I-beam with 1/2" plate 7-1/2"wide.It,s alot stronger.Here are some more pics.Needs paint now!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Head
                That should definitely work!
                Next time maybe try some web stiffeners. More welding, maybe a little less material. Majority of the time we ‘re required to weld all the way around. Honestly I don’t know which is stronger! All depends on the loads and in this case the twisting of the load. I know I’ve welded more web to flange stiffeners than boxing in beams with plate, again which way is better, no idea! Would like to hear from an engineer’s point of view.

How’s the new winch working out so far?
                Web stiffeners are in there behind the flanges 4 of them 2 each side of the beam.

Comment

Its painted

Heres the pics.My 48' Rd. in life is back up.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Adam, Wish I could have caught you before you used the beam for the upright, A square tube would have been the best choice and to have used the beam on the top.

Boxing the beam in will be better than webb stiffners, you were correct to have stiffners at the pivot points however.

My next concern would be your anchoring to the cement, a footing is best, epoxy anchors are second and wedge anchors being my least favorite.

I've installed a few cranes in my day and almost all manufacturer specs call out for footings with a anchor bolt cages.

From my educated guess I would say the weakest link is your anchors in the concrete, Excluding the hoist.

I dont mean to tear your jib crane apart more than likely youll be fine.

Hope things are good with you. P.W.

Comment

It lifted BIG BLUE OFF!

Well it did it i swaped welders today.It may snow out my way so i gave the truck a 1000lb.Diet today.Maybe plowing early this year.The big machine is on my shop floor for now the 300D is on the deck for now.

Comment

Have you used it much other than picking your machine off the one time?

Comment

Hi Friend it never happen with me. It's really interesting. Today i know about this.
                          Thanks for this useful sharing.

Comment

Good informative post, i like VERSALIFT, because this is a big dog in the bucket jib crane industry. They specialize in aerial lifts provided to telecom, utility, forestry, sign and lights, and a lot more. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.