Metal Bender - Part One

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Bender - Part One

After reviewing a bunch of metal bender designs on this forum and the web, I finally got around to making a Hossfeld-like bender. This one is scaled down somewhat from the full size Hossfeld's and modified. I'm not too sure how thick of material I can bend on it, but it's big enough for what I think I need at this time. This is a work-in-progress, upcoming jobs will likely dictate changes to the design. A design-as-you-go project.

I'll post a few photos to show some of the design differences from a Hossfeld. All the material, except for the pins and a couple of dies, is scrap I've had laying around. The pins are made from 1144 Stress Free and hardened. I've case hardened (using Kasenit) a couple of the bull nose pieces, but not the dies (yet).

I think the only real design difference in this bender is the use of the saddles and insert tools. By very carefully spacing holes in the forks (using a vertical mill) I was able to make the saddle pins fit tight in the forks. Then, using a piece of receiver tubing for a clamp, I'm able to make just about any fixture I need - and, these fixtures can have a wide range of adjustment. Lots of flexibility. For sure, the bending capacity is limited when using the saddles above the forks.

I've mounted the bender in a receiver hitch tube on my welding table (on lockable wheels). Time will tell whether this arrangement will offer enough torque. But, I can rotate the bender in a number of directions to change the position to get more leverage.

Part Two will be designing a scroll attachment. One that minimizes the amount of flat section on the interior scroll.
    Attached Files
    MTBob
    Logan Lathe
    Clausing Mill
    Walker Turner Drill Press

Nice job on the bender...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

A very professional job. I do not have a mill as of yet, but sure want one. My lathe is old but does the job, but I would have to think a good bit before I could build this. Good job.
      Geezer
      Miller 175
      Power MIG 255c
      Ranger 8
      1974 Wisconsin 5K AC Only (Cherry)
      Spool Gun
      185 TIG
      Victor/Harris O/A

Comment

way cool. did you make the dies also ? looks like a great new tool for the shop.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Very well built , congradulation , looking forward to see more pictures of differents fixtures , keep up the good work.
          FABRICATION-CRÉATION K ZEN

MILLERMATIC 210
          SPOOLMATE 3035
          SYNCROWAVE 200
          HYPERTHERM 360

Comment

Yes, I made all the fixtures. This project has been kind of interesting since I actually haven't figured out how all the fixtures work on an original Hossfeld. So, I'm kind of inventing how I think the bending fixtures could/should work. I'm still pondering how to make a small pipe / tubing bending fixture and dies to edge bend strap and angle.
            MTBob
            Logan Lathe
            Clausing Mill

Comment

its cool to have the tool.
              great work.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Here is a link to a Yahoo ornamental iron group and there is a hossfeld manual there. But you must have a yahoo id to get in...Bob

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrnamentIron/

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cIIPSe8...r%20Manual.pdf
                Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Thanks Bob! Dang, I'd looked very where to find this manual and couldn't. I'll study this some and think about more mods to the bender I have.

Bob
                  MTBob
                  Logan Lathe
                  Clausing Mill

Comment

Working...
                  X