Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer design, links, suggestions....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer design, links, suggestions....

Does anyone have any links for design, parts sources at a discount, etc.?

I am planning a flat bed utility trailer with 2 3500lb. axles. I want to use tubing rather than channel for the structure to have a stronger/lighter trailer. Planning on torsion axles, led lighting, etc. Size will be 16'x7'ish, enough to allow for the fenders and tires. I was planning on using 2x4 .120 wall tubing for the structure. Questions I would have include proper design of the frame, weight distribution, axle placement (fore and aft), etc.

Any sources, links or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

I have built lots of trailers, look around here for some ideas...Bob

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0have%20built/

Comment

try Northern Tool or East Marine

Both of the companies have considerable parts available. East Marine also calls itself "Trailer Superstore" or something similar. They have axles in just about any length in case you make something odd-sized. I have a cargo trailer and have also made an open 4'x8' trailer. Northern Tool also has blueprints for about $25 to $40 depending on design. Good Luck

Comment

Trailer questions

I too, would like to know if there is any secrets to designing a flat bed trailer - I think some refer to them as "Landscape" trailers.
        Any how I'd like to build a 12' x 5' bed trailer, with an 'A' frame coupler, and I'm debating tandem 2000 pound axles. The questions I have are; How do you determine the placing of the axle assemblies. (center of gravity stuff)? By eye balling several ready made trailers, it appears that the single axle is placed 2/3 back from the front edge of the bed. Is this correct? What about the tandem placement?

Comment

Axle Placement

I would think placement would depend on how you were going to load it, you want to avoid excess tounge weight, yet you need some to keep the trailer from going squirrely on you(for ball hitches). if your not sure how your going to load up the bed, try to split the deck length with the center of your axle(s)... on a different note make sure to keep your tounge length approx. 60% of the width of the tow vehicle, so when you turn tight you don't hit

Good Luck!!

Kelly

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Originally posted by deafman View Post
            Both of the companies have considerable parts available. East Marine also calls itself "Trailer Superstore" or something similar. They have axles in just about any length in case you make something odd-sized. I have a cargo trailer and have also made an open 4'x8' trailer. Northern Tool also has blueprints for about $25 to $40 depending on design. Good Luck
            YEA, I Bought Prints from Northern Tool, Great Prints TOO !!! ..... Norm :

Comment

Originally posted by pyro2 View Post
              I would think placement would depend on how you were going to load it, you want to avoid excess tounge weight, yet you need some to keep the trailer from going squirrely on you(for ball hitches). if your not sure how your going to load up the bed, try to split the deck length with the center of your axle(s)... on a different note make sure to keep your tounge length approx. 60% of the width of the tow vehicle, so when you turn tight you don't hit

Good Luck!!

Kelly
              Thanks Kelly,

This is the type of info I need!

Will the 2x4 Box be strong enough for the structure? I am planning using the 2.4 box to both support the deck and be the structural frame rather than the traditional frame under deck design. I'll try and draw up my idea to post for critique.

Comment

2x4 s plenty big enough but if its 16ga. then H**** no! imop it should be at least .120 wall 0r thicker depending what you hall. if your hauling, for example, a skidstear day in and day out then you should probably upsize to 3/16.
                just my 2 cents

Comment

I was planning on .120 wall and no way is a skid loader going on this trailer! I have a Jeep project that will be under 3000lbs. that will hauled on it. Then just odds and ends, 2x4s, hardwood, sheeting, whatever. Maybe motorcycles but never more than the 7000lbs. that the axles will handle (including the trailer itself). So, it would need to be able to safely handle 7000 lbs. plus a safety margin. I don't want some flexy trailer either, needs to stay flat and ridgid.

Comment

Here's some info for you -

http://www.championtrailers.com/UTIL...AILER_KITS.HTM

You definitely want to price out what you intend to build vs. what you can

buy. Lots of people selling stuff off these days.

Check Ebay and Craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                      I have built lots of trailers, look around here for some ideas...Bob

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n...0have%20built/
                      Hey Bob,

I have a small shop down in Florida and I was wondering how I could get into the trailer business. Who would I sell them to besides building one and putting it for sale on the side of the road. I've repaired more of them than I care to remember and have built three for shops that I worked at in the past. One was a huge BBQ grill, one a utility, and one a fifth wheel for a semi. None came back, so that was a good sign of axle placement and tongue weight. Anyway, do you have any suggestions?

Mike

Comment

Web Site !!!

Trep813,Mike, Hi; Congrats on the Web Site !!

Very Professional, Great Job !!!

.......... Norm :

Comment

i just bought 3 trailer plans from northerntools
                          18ft car trailer 16ft landscaping trailer and car dolly
                          plans there great
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                            Trep813,Mike, Hi; Congrats on the Web Site !!

Very Professional, Great Job !!!

.......... Norm :
                            Norm,

Thanks about the wesite. I checked yours out, nice and clean. It looks good.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.