Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round hay bale carrier

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round hay bale carrier

Some of you may remember some of my questions concerning this project, like the one about torsional strength of tubing. Well, I finally finished it.
    I knew with my health the way it is that it would take a long time and a thread following the progress would be tough to do so I decided to weight until I finished it to post. Unfortunately though, I missed a lot of pictures doing it like this since I wasn't thinking of the thread when I would go out to work on it.

These are some pictures of getting some of the larger pieces welded up square and some close ups of the slide pieces.
    These will make more sence in the pictures yet to come.
    Attached Files

These pictures are the running gear going together. The first picture is the rope horn I was welding on when my foot control died on me, you might remember that post.
    Attached Files

Comment

I designed it so there would be no cotter pins or anything like that to loose. I also went with rope blocks instead of a winch, the rope blocks were a lot of work, 50 pieces to each one. Unfortunately this was one thing I didn't get any pictures of while I was making it.
      Attached Files

Comment

I hooked it up to the lawn mower to drag it down to the bottom to try it out. I will get some pictures of it hooked up to the horses later, I still need to get them out of the camera.
        Attached Files

Comment

You might remember the thread when I repaired the double trees for my neighbor, The first pic shows them in use.
          The second pic is one of the rope blocks, not a good shot of it but you can see how many pieces are in it, at least some of them.
          The other two are the horses toting the thing around.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice work Pete! Great design on that latch with the 2 ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
              Nice work Pete! Great design on that latch with the 2 ears.
              Thanks for the compliment. Here is a closer picture of the latch. In addition to the spring loaded ears I also put a through pin option for additional safety for when he hits the road with it.
              The one aspect of the design that I take pride in is the spring loaded counter balance for the unit so it does not come down on anyone's head.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
                The one aspect of the design that I take pride in is the spring loaded counter balance for the unit so it does not come down on anyone's head.
                Oh okay. I now see what the springs are there for. Nice touch.

Comment

BB:
                  I'll start by saying, 'Sorry about the health issues. Age sucks'.

Spent my career at a desk. Metal fabrication fascinates me. These are the best examples I've seen for months. Thanks fer the pics.
                  Last edited by Craig in Denver; 10-27-2008, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Im actually surprised that your spears are long enough to lift the bale. Some of those bales are pretty loose and soft in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyingpig View Post
                      Im actually surprised that your spears are long enough to lift the bale. Some of those bales are pretty loose and soft in the middle.
                      This was one of my dilemmas I was struggling with, I didn't want them longer than needed making them unnecessarily difficult to push in, but then again they have to be long enough to do the job. So far they are working good, but we have only lifted a few bales.
                      The unit is designed for 4' bales but the arms will spread wide enough for a 5'er. The spikes have 16" of usable length, so thats a total of 32"s in the bale and that leaves 16"s unspiked. In other words, 2/3s of the bale are spiked and 1/3 unspiked.
                      Being that the bale is spiked from both ends helps a lot. Time will tell, I hope I got it right. If not, they are easy to change.

One other thing I would like to point out If anyone didn't pick it up from the pictures, no matter what the diameter of the bale is, as long as the axle is touching the bale and the top rail is touching the bale, the spikes will always land in the center of the bale. Sort of works like a center finder you would see in a machine shop.

Comment

Looks good, awesome job.
                        I guess that's what you call making them earn their keep!!!

Comment

that is really cool.
                          32" should be fine. my neighbor has a single spike in front of his tractor thats not that long, so getting it from both sides should be even better. it also looks like it rests on the frame once up, or is that just a look but not happening??
                          very nice work, some one is going to get a lot of use out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                            that is really cool.
                            32" should be fine. my neighbor has a single spike in front of his tractor thats not that long, so getting it from both sides should be even better. it also looks like it rests on the frame once up, or is that just a look but not happening??
                            very nice work, some one is going to get a lot of use out of that.
                            Your exactly right, the bale does rest on the running gear so there is none to little pressure on the spikes once the bale is in the full raised position.
                            The spikes can slide freely on the lifting arms so even if the running gear is not fully in contact with the bale when you start lifting, it will be when you finish.

One other aspect of this design that I failed to mention on this thread (I did mention it back when I started this project) is that when the bale is lowered to the ground, you can cut the strings and unroll it by pulling forward with the spikes still in the bale. This will help prevent the cattle from creating a mud hole around the bale and also allow the smaller animals to get a chance to eat without being chased away. I haven't had a chance to try unrolling one yet though.

Comment

you can cut the strings and unroll it by pulling forward with the spikes still in the bale.
                              that is really neat. bet the lil fellas like that idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.