Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

hi all newbie here

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hi all newbie here

    hi all, im a on again off again welding student at the local community college, i picked up a old miller thunderbolt, i was curious if i could update it some, it has a hand crank power control but the cheesy indicator doesnt work, is there anyway i can wire in a ampmeter if so how would i do this? any help is appreciated

  • #2
    Welcome to the Forum.

    Sorry- can't help ya out

    Comment


    • #3
      nfinch86- CANADIAN WELDOR :

      Originally posted by lonegunman88240 View Post
      hi all, im a on again off again welding student at the local community college, i picked up a old miller thunderbolt, i was curious if i could update it some, it has a hand crank power control but the cheesy indicator doesnt work, is there anyway i can wire in a ampmeter if so how would i do this? any help is appreciated
      HI & WELCOME; Where ya from??..... Norm :

      Comment


      • #4
        Have you pulled the cover to see what exactly is wrong with the indicator? Might be cheesy for you, but it is dead simple and should be both easier to fix and cheaper using the original pointer.

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks for the warm welcome, im from hobbs new mexico,

          Comment


          • #6
            yea actually i have, the guy i got it from was welding on a horse trailer and forgot about it, and somehow ran over it, everything seems fine but the case is messed up, will be making one soon, it seems to me that the front plate moves forward and backwards depending on which way it is cranked, whick forces a a small indicater into position i assume? most of those small parts are gone and the local welding shops were no help

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lonegunman88240 View Post
              yea actually i have, the guy i got it from was welding on a horse trailer and forgot about it, and somehow ran over it, everything seems fine but the case is messed up, will be making one soon, it seems to me that the front plate moves forward and backwards depending on which way it is cranked, whick forces a a small indicater into position i assume? most of those small parts are gone and the local welding shops were no help
              Post up a picture and lets see what you have left.

              Comment


              • #8
                ok just as soon as i can, he didnt run completly over it just enough to ruin the case, he tried to reshape it and hammer it back to shape lol and it looks it,
                i got a 100 amp fcaw, i thought making a new case would be a good project for the little wire feed, would any of you know what the duty cycle of these old welders were?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Click on the link below, find your welder and enter the serial # and the owner's manual that will come up should give you specifics on your model.

                  http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You should be able to get parts from Miller pretty easily.
                    You could send cruizer on this board a private message, he could tell you right away if there was an easy way to rig something else up. He's a certified Miller repair tech so send him as much info as you can, if nothing else he can give you the part #'s to get the correct pieces to repair it back to original.
                    Good luck.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      you think i be able to get a replacement cover?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Welcome

                        Welcome to the forum!

                        I would second the thoughts from the last posters, Wyo-Roy, etc.

                        Also your wire feed shoudl be up to the job for a case.

                        Mike

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lonegunman88240 View Post
                          you think i be able to get a replacement cover?
                          I would think so, but you'd have to call to find out.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lonegunman88240 View Post
                            you think i be able to get a replacement cover?
                            I doubt whether the company has covers for the older style welder like yours sounds to be...at least at a cheap enough price to make it a viable fix. You would probably be money ahead contacting Cruizer or some other welding technician and obtaining a used cover off one that has gone too far down the path for a rebuild.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.