Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fold down Tow Dolly

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fold down Tow Dolly

Heres the situation,I have a Gmc Sierra 4x4 and im always hauling cars,so I have to hook to the car hauler and lug that heavy @#! thing around.There has to be an easier way,something smaller or compact that I could build.Ive seen a regular pickup truck like mine that had boom of sorts that flipped up from the bed of the truck and could raise the car to be towed up,has anyone else seen this?Could anyone help me with some literature or pictures on how to build it?If not,how about something on building a tow dolly?Thanks a million...Jimmy C.

How far are you hauling these cars?

Full trailers tow FAR better than dollies.

The device you're thinking of is part of a tow truck, and I believe they call them stingers. Making one would be pretty complicated and liability would be obscene. You should be able to buy just that mechanism itself, but I'd hate to think what it costs.

Another solution is a rack that holds the car on the back of the truck. You lose substantial overhead clearance, and you're pretty limited to what else you can haul, but I would go that route before I put time into a dolly for anything but around town transfers of vehicles.

Comment

Fold down tow dolly

Thanks,I would be pulling cars about 25 miles or so,what kind of setup are you talking about that would go in the back?I dont haul anything in the back,but it would be nice if the device could fold down below the top of the bed when not in use.Have any ideas,plans,pictures?Thanks very much

Comment

I think he's talking about something like this...
        http://www.piercearrow.us/recluse_repo.htm

Comment

http://www.minuteman1.com/

This is what I was thinking of, or something like it.

I've seen just this mechanism that goes under the bed.
          Last edited by Fishy Jim; 10-20-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Fold down tow dolly

Thank you guys so much,this info is exactly what I was wanting.Thansks,Jimmy.

Comment

For the price of those things, I think Id just buy a used trailer and a winch so I could have the option to use the pickup bed if I needed to.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.