Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel Target Is Finished

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Target Is Finished

Finished up last night and here is the result.
    Attached Files

more photos

here are the rest of the photos
    Attached Files

Comment

I want to shoot it, I want to shoot it, I want to shoot it

That's awesome.

Comment

looks great, but i think i would have angeled the front plate so any rounds hitting it would be deflected down to the dirt. with a flat front you risk a rebounding round striking the shooter or spectator.
        have you taken any steps to prevent a return round i don't see ??

just a thought for safety sake.

Comment

Bullet Bounce Back

When shooting 22 rimfire most bullets are just lead and when they strike a flat surface they splatter.

Frank aka The Weekend Welder

Comment

COOL, JUST THINKING SAFTY FIRST.
            looks like great fun.

Comment

Nice

Is that a spring loaded bar to reset the targets?

All in all a very nice target. Have fun!

Comment

Targets

Really like the set up for the resetable targets,,well done

Comment

When do we get to shoot it?

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                    looks great, but i think i would have angeled the front plate so any rounds hitting it would be deflected down to the dirt. with a flat front you risk a rebounding round striking the shooter or spectator.
                    have you taken any steps to prevent a return round i don't see ??

just a thought for safety sake.
                    I think they tie a chicken to each target.....or maybe not

Comment

Weekend Welder,

Great job, I am wondering what could be made to react similar with up to 45cal?

Tim

Comment

Tim,

I have shot on similar targets with 45 ACP. They had about 8 to 10" plates though.

Here is a photo of the target I just built last weekend. One of my first welding projects. The plate is hanging from chains at a 45 degree angle to deflect bullet splatter downward. I have shot it as close as 10 yards with a lead 44 Mags and as close as 2-3 yards with lead 22 LR and 38 Spl. No ricochets at all.

Keith
                        Attached Files

Comment

Another good project for summer!

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

So, I'm wondering how long the reset rope is? Could you show a pic of the pulley? (like a side view to the bottom, that rope has to go somewhere)

Comment

rope lenghth

The rope is 30 yards long with a knot tied at 5 yard intervals. Someone asked about somthing heavier to shoot with a 45. There are several comercial versions available but they cost well over $1000. when you get to larger calibers the basic desighn is the same but you must add an angled plate in front of the main beam it should be a hardened plate like ar500 the knockdowns must also be made of the same hardened plate. to be most efective the ar500 plate shoul be held in place with brackets or bolts instead of welding. ive been told that welding will do somthing with the hardness and temper of the plate. I was also told that water jet cutting of the plate is also recomended for the same reasons.

I am planning on building one for larger calibers I just need to get to the scrap yard to look for some larger channel and materials for the stand,I dont want to have to buy new.

Ill try and post more pics or possibly a video.

Any one in central PA wanna shoot??

Frank aka The Weekend Welder

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.