Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

3/8" Fillet In a Single Pass?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/8" Fillet In a Single Pass?

What machine and stick rod would you use to get a 3/8" fillet on mild steel in a single pass? I'm talking about a field job, diesel machine.

Or do you think we would be better off with a flux core MIG?

Thanks!

AWS D1.1: This is not allowed, and for good reason from my own experience. AWS D1.1 wants to see no more than 1/4" for SMAW and no more than 5/16" for FCAW/GMAW. After that multipass with continuous inspection.

Carrying that much filler "can" lead to issues of hollow beads, cold lap, non fusion at the root.

Can it be done? sure, why would you want to????? Why not do a simple three pass with 1/8"7018. Proven winner simple and cheep equipment, rentable in most every county in the western world.

5/64" FCAW NR233/232 or Coreshield 8 vary doable more so vertical up.

I do not recommend doing this with out a lot of experience.

TJ

Comment

I would multipass it, probably about 3 passes 5/32 7018. Could do it with 1/8, as well. 3/32 would take forever. Three passes with fluxcore would be faster.

IF the weld is in flat position, and you HAD to do it in single pass stick, you COULD do this with 3/16 or 7/32 7024, presuming a heavy enough power source.

Comment

[QUOTE=FATFAB;162032]AWS D1.1: This is not allowed, and for good reason from my own experience. AWS D1.1 wants to see no more than 1/4" for SMAW and no more than 5/16" for FCAW/GMAW. After that multipass with continuous inspection.

FATFAB,
        That's not exactly what AWS D1.1 says. For SMAW (and others)you are allowed up to a 1/2" single pass fillet, depending on position. Take a look at table 3.7. Also, there is no requirements for inspection, continuous or otherwise, in AWS D1.1.
        Last edited by hogan; 10-16-2008, 12:41 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=hogan;162036]
          Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
          AWS D1.1: This is not allowed, and for good reason from my own experience. AWS D1.1 wants to see no more than 1/4" for SMAW and no more than 5/16" for FCAW/GMAW. After that multipass with continuous inspection.

FATFAB,
          That's not exactly what AWS D1.1 says. For SMAW (and others)you are allowed up to a 1/2" single pass fillet, depending on position. Take a look at table 3.7. Also, there is requirement for inspection, continuous or otherwise, in AWS D1.1.

Right, that isn't what D1.1 says that I can find and..... right again Table 3.7 disputes those numbers but even then....the limits in Table 3.7 are for PREqualified WPS'. I believe you can easily qualify your procedure with larger fillet size than those listed in the table.

To the original question, if i was wanting to make 3/8" single pass fillet welds I'd use, without question, flux core wire, either NS3M or (much more likely)311Ni.
          I've run quite a bit of 311Ni in 5/64" size and it is a very high deposition wire in flat/horizontal positions, and meets the harshest seismic requirements.
          311Ni also gives you more bang for the buck if you are limited amperage wise, it makes a 250 amp machine behave like a 300 amp machine as it has high deposition at (relatively) lower amperages. It tends to run a lot like Lohi but handles gaps and corners quite a bit better.
          This is a money making wire when you have a "lot" of "large" structural fillets to make.

JTMcC.
          Last edited by JTMcC; 10-16-2008, 12:36 PM.

Comment

nfinch86-CANADIAN WELDOR :

Originally posted by Iron Head
            If you can get your hands on an old Commander 500 or Vantage 500 with either an LN-7,8,9 or 25 with either of these wires, you should be able to place an honest 3/8-inch fillet in the flat position running about 12-inches in under a minute easily!

Do you know what a hand protector is?
            YEAP!!! SUFFERED A FEW BLISTERS on the Back of my Hand back 1970's Welded 8 inch thick Steel Laddles- Buckets in the steel co. of Canada-Lake Erie Works, One week each side, Double-Vee. Lots Of Fun ?.... Norm :

Comment

3/8 pass

I work at Crown equipment corp. and we make 3/8 passes with flux core all the time in flat mainly but in any other position that has to be done with it. and we have robots that make passe the are inch and bigger with single passes, so its not that out their and i dont know the code but its i big company and iam sure they wouldnt let us do anything against it.

Comment

[QUOTE=JTMcC;162042]
                Originally posted by hogan View Post

Right, that isn't what D1.1 says that I can find and..... right again Table 3.7 disputes those numbers but even then....the limits in Table 3.7 are for PREqualified WPS'. I believe you can easily qualify your procedure with larger fillet size than those listed in the table.

To the original question, if i was wanting to make 3/8" single pass fillet welds I'd use, without question, flux core wire, either NS3M or (much more likely)311Ni.
                I've run quite a bit of 311Ni in 5/64" size and it is a very high deposition wire in flat/horizontal positions, and meets the harshest seismic requirements.
                311Ni also gives you more bang for the buck if you are limited amperage wise, it makes a 250 amp machine behave like a 300 amp machine as it has high deposition at (relatively) lower amperages. It tends to run a lot like Lohi but handles gaps and corners quite a bit better.
                This is a money making wire when you have a "lot" of "large" structural fillets to make.

JTMcC.
                WOW!!! I can't believe JT recommended flux core!!! Next thing he'll be buyin a blue welder... don't worry JT I won't hold my breath!

Sorry buddy, I couldn't resist.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.