Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

hitch mounted BBQ pit

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hitch mounted BBQ pit

id like to build something along the lines of this only half as big.

anyone got any info or pictures they could share on building BBQ pits? what do you paint the finished product with? thanks
    Last edited by jackh; 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM.

bbq

I built one about two years ago for a buddy to go tailgating with. I utilizes a gas grill that I bought at Home Depot. It slid away from the vehicle so you could let down the tailgate. I'll take some pics of it in a couple of days and post it.

Comment

so you bought a grill and then modded it to mount to the hitch?

i had thought of this before but the kinda grill that id buy is like $400, im kinda hesitant to spend that and then cut it up ya know. i had also debated and inner and outer pipe that mounted to the hitch so you could slide it away from the tailgate.

pics of yours would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I like that pit design, I noticed the two wheels for moving about but wondering about an inside set maybe.

Here are two tailgaters I built, 1st is a 10" SS sch 10 pipe mtd. on 2" and 2.5" sq. tube so as to extend away from the truck to lower the tailgate, has SS hvy nuts welded to the tube, SS allen set screws w/pal nuts to eliminate thievery. Has a 20" head w/SS adjustable grill for additional cooking such as fajitas.
        Second is a similar pit created from 10"x1/4" sq. tube and similar mount.
        Good luck
        L*S

BTW, we use the nominal BBQ pit paint from ACE or your local box store.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Leons2003; 10-16-2008, 11:26 AM. Reason: added text

Comment

thanks a ton for the pics.

your design with the 2" and 2.5" sq. pipe is exactly what i had thought about. does the grill wobble a lot?

how much did the materials for the first one set you back if you dont mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by jackh View Post
            so you bought a grill and then modded it to mount to the hitch?

i had thought of this before but the kinda grill that id buy is like $400, im kinda hesitant to spend that and then cut it up ya know. i had also debated and inner and outer pipe that mounted to the hitch so you could slide it away from the tailgate.

pics of yours would be greatly appreciated.
            You wouldn't really need to cut up the Grill- fabricate a Platform/Mount that attaches to the Truck's receiver and then just bolt the Grill to the Mount.

Unless you can get a pice of Free Pipe for the Grill/Smoker, a store bought Smoker/Grill is probably cheaper.

You don't have to build everything from scratch

Comment

ya your right. i saw a fairly nice grill at lowes today for $130. it seemed a little thin to weld on though. i didn't have anything to measure the thickness so i cant say how heavy duty it was.

Comment

ya your right. i saw a fairly nice grill at lowes today for $130. it seemed a little thin to weld on though. i didn't have anything to measure the thickness so i cant say how heavy duty it was.
                You know they have bolts at Lowes too

Comment

You could always go to a scrap yard too and pick up a piece of pipe or a water tank from a well. I saved a 10 gallon water tank from a scrap pile, took the bladder out but thats all the farther I got. I plan on making it into a hitch mounted smoker. The metal on that is a little thicker than what you find on a store bought charcoal grill.

Comment

thanks a ton for the pics.

your design with the 2" and 2.5" sq. pipe is exactly what i had thought about. does the grill wobble a lot?

how much did the materials for the first one set you back if you dont mind me asking?
                    The tube is 3/16" wall, so there is not much wobble at all and w/the set screws torqued down will eliminate any slop.

I built this for the nephew who manages a fastener co., so that is where the SS fasteners came from, cost wise, most matl. was left overs from previous projects, except he did buy a sheet of SS expanded for the fajita grill, the pit grill was SS screen from a traveling water screen co.s scrap bin. So really one has to do some scrounging.

Comment

Originally posted by KBar View Post
                      You could always go to a scrap yard too and pick up a piece of pipe or a water tank from a well. I saved a 10 gallon water tank from a scrap pile, took the bladder out but thats all the farther I got. I plan on making it into a hitch mounted smoker. The metal on that is a little thicker than what you find on a store bought charcoal grill.
                      ya i think im gonna look around for an air compressor tank or propane tank the size id need. i saw one today and they had turned the opening in the top of it into where the smoke stack came out. ill have to get another small tank for the smoke box though

Originally posted by Leons2003 View Post
                      The tube is 3/16" wall, so there is not much wobble at all and w/the set screws torqued down will eliminate any slop.

I built this for the nephew who manages a fastener co., so that is where the SS fasteners came from, cost wise, most matl. was left overs from previous projects, except he did buy a sheet of SS expanded for the fajita grill, the pit grill was SS screen from a traveling water screen co.s scrap bin. So really one has to do some scrounging.
                      ok thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                        You know they have bolts at Lowes too

i dont wanna bolt the smoke box to the grill. thats not heavy duty enough for me

Comment

alright i went out to look at some grills for ideas and i found exactly what i would spend hours building for $90... so i bought it. now ill only have to fab up the mounts and stuff. its by new braunsfels smokers and its the little hondo jr smoker- $89.99
                          Last edited by jackh; 10-19-2008, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.