No announcement yet.

grounding my engine driven welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to have anything running. Its an ohm setting and when you short the leads together the needle should drop to 0. Put one lead on the stud and one on the frame somewhere, needle goes to 0, put it from the stud and ground pin of an outlet. All of this machine at the same potential. The only reason the stud is there is to have a convenient place to hook a wire if the need should arise. Say this is sitting on a wood bed trailer and you lag screw it to the deck now the stud comes in to play, hook a wire to the steel of the trailer frame. Now the frame of the power plant machine and the metal you may come in contact with are at the same potential. No chance of personnel becoming a conductor between the 2. This is not a part of the workings of a normal electrical circuit, when its working right nothing is flowing on this wire, its a safety in case something goes wrong, mainly a fault of some cord and plug equipment connected to this machine. Best wording I can give at the moment, maybe a real sparkie can help.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcruz View Post
      Sorry if I sound stupid, but what should the reading be on the continuity tester. I have one, but all I know how to do is check outlets. What is the correct reading when I test it, if it is a grounding spot, and should I have the welder running when I test it?. Sorry for all the questions, but I told you guys I suck when it comes to messin with electricity. Thanks for your help buddy.
      When Sberry says Short the leads he means the ones on the Meter I call em' Probes

Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Man, you guys are great, thanks allot. I have known them as probes as well, at least that is what my father called them, when he was still alive. Thanks again fellas, I have copied and pasted the info you guys posted over to my wordperfect files. I make hard copies of everything useful and put it into my book for later reference. You learn something new everyday.
        If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Comment

Ground

It's not a big deal. Just ground it to the frame of the truck. I used #8 wire. You're only grounding out the controls.
          Millermatic 210
          Syncrowave 200
          Spectrum 625 X-treme
          Hobart Champion 16 W/
          Miller 8VS Suitcase
          Miller 3035 Spool Gun
          Tons of Tools
          Microwave
          Laptop and Printer
          Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

Originally posted by lanceman73 View Post
            It's not a big deal. Just ground it to the frame of the truck. I used #8 wire. You're only grounding out the controls.
            The way I learnt it is: You bond to the Truck so it is now part of the Power System.

If it is not bonded and you get a ground short the truck is now energized because there is no BOND path for the short to trip the CB on the Generator/Welder.

If it is bonded and a ground short occurs there IS a Path and it will trip the CB.
            Ed Conley
            MM252
            MM211
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

more Info.....

http://159.105.83.167/Portals/0/WP%2...tandards22.pdf
              Ed Conley
              MM252
              MM211
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Yup, you got it, good read on this subject.

Comment

Working...
                X