X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benny365
    started a topic Evolution Cold saw

Evolution Cold saw

I'm thinking about getting an Evolution Rage 2 cold saw... What do you all think

http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/s...%202%20%20Saw/

250.00 at Airgas with a general purpase blade

• davinci2010
    replied
    Agreed. Taiwainese tools used to be junk but they are coming around pretty well with some of their stuff now. I still haven't seen the quality of metalurgy in even the best of Chinese tools that I want to see in my tools.

Leave a comment:

• SavageSunJeep
    replied
    Originally posted by davinci2010 View Post
    I've got the Evolution Raptor 14" saw and it was a good investment. Nothing wrong with the Milwaukee saw as it is made in Taiwain and has a good reputation, I just wanted to try the Evolution saw. Everything I have read leads me to believe the Raptor in made in the U.K. but it may be made in China. even if it is Chinese it seems to have some quality about it. It cuts 1/4" wall 2" by 2" square tubing like butter and leaves no burrs. I'm thinking about buying the 9" metal cutting saw for cutting plate.
    I am not afraid to buy Chinese, but a good eyeball inspection of the product tells one a LOT.

The Chinese CAN make as good a stuff as you can buy. BUT when they do the ONLY savings are in labor costs. If you need a 'Super Lazer, water cooled, belt fed, carbide tipped tool to build it they need to buy it just like us, the Germans or anyone else needs to.

Secondly finished product specs have to be as tight for them as for us and the INSPECTION and ACCEPTANCE process has to be in place to assure quality.

You put everything in place that it takes to deliver that product to the market place and Chinese can save a few bucks on labor but that is about all.

Only time will tell if the Chinese can do what the Japs did. Us old timers lived thru the Jap Junk invasion. The Japs got smart and today build some of the best and often times their prices are higher than the competition and so is quality.

That said I would not hold my breath on the Chinese to rise to that level, it does NOT happen over night. It takes a LONG LONG time to change the way folks think. If you have ever seen them in action: They sit down to a meal and eat one grain of rice with 2 sticks, then they haul two buckets of crap on the end of one stick on their shoulders to fertilize a rice paddy...that 10,000 years of progress is hard to turn around.

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied
    I've got the Evolution Raptor 14" saw and it was a good investment. Nothing wrong with the Milwaukee saw as it is made in Taiwain and has a good reputation, I just wanted to try the Evolution saw. Everything I have read leads me to believe the Raptor in made in the U.K. but it may be made in China. even if it is Chinese it seems to have some quality about it. It cuts 1/4" wall 2" by 2" square tubing like butter and leaves no burrs. I'm thinking about buying the 9" metal cutting saw for cutting plate.
    B.T.W. Just bought one of the last 4 1/2" 12 amp super magnum Milwaukee grinders that are not Chinese that I could find. They have about 3 of them left on E-bay $105.00 - free shipping!

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wrenchnride247
    replied
    My rage 2 finally came in yesterday. Only made a few cuts with it so far, but love it!!! It cuts 3" 3/16th thick square tube mild steel like butter! Very happy I made this purchase.

Leave a comment:

• wrenchnride247
    replied
    I thought about the rage 3 but, never needed to make a compound miter in steel before (now that I said that I might have a project that needs one someday ) I like the larger capacity of the 14" blade though. My saw didn't come in Friday guess it will be here tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Originally posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
    Well, you guy's finally made me pull the trigger...should have my Rage 2 by friday
    I think you'll be pleased with it. I know I love my Rage3. Just wish I could have found an American built saw though.

Leave a comment:

• wrenchnride247
    replied
    Well, you guy's finally made me pull the trigger...should have my Rage 2 by friday

Leave a comment:

• SavageSunJeep
    replied
    Milwaukee has been sold again....Check out their new angle grinders; They are cheap Chinese made trash. Milwaukee is taking away the consumer's ability to choose between a cheap base tool or a better made ( high end ) tool from...
    Just another reason why I get my angle grinders at Ho Chi Mein Freight. On sale the 4 1/2" is less $20 bucks. IN 3 years I have had only one fail and I took it back and got an exchange for it with no hassle and no cost.

I looked and the new line of Fein out of Germany, very good stuff, well designed and looks to be the very top of the line. CERTAINLY top of the line in price. I have less $ in my 10 HF units than it would cost to buy one Fein.

That said I think it would be impressive to have about 10 of those Fein's hanging in my shop. But if I walked in a shop and saw them I would know right away I could not afford the shop rates.

By the same token if I stopped off at Carroll Shelby's fab shop and saw a bunch of HF grinders hanging on the wall and I was there to have my Shelby Cobra resto'd I would question their work and prices I am paying for that resto job...as much as $250k. (I DO NOT have a Shelby anything, just an example here).

Guess it comes down to having the tool fit the work.

Leave a comment:

• jimmy_pop
    replied
    i still like my milwaukee saw.

shown here with a newly sharpened blade.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• davinci2010
    replied
    Originally posted by dseman View Post
    Milwaukee was sold by the Swedish firm Atlas Copco to the Japanese firm, Techtronics, in October 2004. It hasn't been in American hands since 1995.

Evolution saws and blades are from Sheffield, England.
    Milwaukee has been sold again. Now they are owned by the same conglomerete that owns A E G and Ryobi tool co. Check out their new angle grinders; They are cheap Chinese made trash. Milwaukee is taking away the consumer's ability to choose between a cheap base tool or a better made ( high end ) tool from the same manufacterer. Make sure you E-mail Milwaukee and tell them what you think of this, I did.

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    Yeah they're all close in price. Did you notice their magnetic drills and annular cutter machines? I don't knokw what Hougen's price on a model capable of 2 3/8 on 2" steel would be but I'll bet it's a lot higher than the 1,200.00 that Evolution is priced at. I know you can't get a Milwaukee mag drill for 475.00 either and now the Milwaukee is built overseas now too.
    Yes, their mag drill prices are very good. 2 of my next purchases will be the Rage 2 and Bora 2800, or whatever the number is on their low-line mag drill. I don't foresee needing a mag drill often enough to justify spending over a grand on one, but I would like to have a reasonably priced one to use once in a while. Too bad they don't make concrete core drills, I'd be interested in one of those by Evolution too.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie_486
    replied
    Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    Sounds like we all paid right in the same ballpark for the saws.
    Yeah they're all close in price. Did you notice their magnetic drills and annular cutter machines? I don't knokw what Hougen's price on a model capable of 2 3/8 on 2" steel would be but I'll bet it's a lot higher than the 1,200.00 that Evolution is priced at. I know you can't get a Milwaukee mag drill for 475.00 either and now the Milwaukee is built overseas now too.

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    I paid 272.00 for mine. So that's close I guess it depends on how close you are to Iowa where they are shipped from. Perhaps your welding supplier got a better shipping rate. I had mine within 2 or 3 days of ordering though.
    Sounds like we all paid right in the same ballpark for the saws.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X