No announcement yet.

Evolution Cold saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my power and framing tools are Dewalt.But when it came down to the metal cut off saw I opted for the Makita LC-1230.It has a carbide blade that is for metal.It is not a multi cutter like the Dewalts.It will cut through a piece of 2x3 3/16 wall tubing as if it was cutting through a stick of butter.Twenty seconds or less and the cuts are true and cool to the touch.
    George
    If I could only remeber everything that I have already forgotton.

Comment

I have used the makita, millwaulkee and dewalt. I have a good friend in the welding business that's used the ones I haven't so I have a pretty good, real world base of experience to work from. And I'm talking about heavy commercial use, not garage use and this is my take:

I've got a makita, I think it has the best base by far and the best angle adjusment by far. And the 12" blade cuts more square with less deflection than the larger blades.

I know of dewalt saws that have been in serious industrial use (many days running all day for weeks at a time) for over three years now, the old dogs are battered and abused but still chugging away just fine. But I really hate to have to get an allen wrench and loosen two bolts to adjust to a different angle of cut. The makita has one lever that realeases/locks the backstop.

My makita only gets used every couple of years, but when we use it we make thousands of cuts, it's well over twenty thousand cuts and works like new. And no, I don't stand there and count the cuts made, but when we quote the job we have a pretty good number for the number of cuts required ; )
      Of all the tools we've ever bought, this one has made us a great return on investment.

Any of them will do the work, the makita is more of a pleasure to use just because it reeks of high quality.

JTMcC.
      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Nick,
        I do NOT expect everyone to take my word as the gospel. EVERYONE has THEIR own opinion.
        And I am giving my advice from experience, not from hearsay. I have not used these saws everyday for thousands of cuts but I have seen then in person, and in action. I have made a few cuts with each one. (dewalt, makita, and milwaukee). So this is my experience and what I think about each one. I was kinda like all the dewalt angle grinders I bought. I thought they were the best until I used the Milaukee, if I ever use a metabo Ill see if I like it. But untill I use the metabo, I am not going to going out a push that one as the "must buy" angle grinder. Right now I would say from my experience I think the milwaukee is very good, but you might want to check into the metabos.

As you can see I am not the only one that thinks this about the quality of the makitas. I think some people know quality when they use a saw and others dont. no biggie. I am not in it to push only one brand for every tools, because no brand makes all thier tools the best. some brands may make the best saw, and another company may make the best drill. remember, you buy the tool for the quality, not for the name.
        Last edited by ace4059; 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benny365 View Post
          Are you guys done?

What I like about the evolution is that is spins at 1400 rpm instead of 3 or 4 thousand.. and I like the idea of cutting metal rather than grinding metal.

Does anyone here have a saw by Evolution?

Later
          I believe I said I have one But apparently you were to busy moderating ....Oh well mine still works great Jim
          Welding in Crete
          Syncrowave 350 LX
          Millermatic 252
          Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
          Miller Gold Seal 155
          Miller Elite welding helmet
          JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
          Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
          Hypertherm Powermax 30
          Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Comment

Originally posted by uhohjim View Post
            I believe I said I have one But apparently you were to busy moderating ....Oh well mine still works great Jim

I apologize Jim.

I went ahead and got the Rage 2 for 225.00 from airgas locally. Cut a few pieces and it does a good job. Money was an issue for me so the price was a deciding factor. Anyways Thanks for all of the input Guys.

Ben
            MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
            Diversion 180
            Spectrum 375 X-TREME
            Portable Victor O/A
            Palmgren Bench Drill Press
            14" Evolution Dry Saw
            IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
            Speedglas 9100x
            My Brain

Comment

the dewalt dry cut saw does cut fine, but it is harder to set up accurately because the base is just stamped sheet metal with a very inaccurate degree gauge for setting a perfect 90* angle, and the clamping arm tends to change the angle slightly if you're not careful. the point is that if you want it to be accurate, you have fuss with it a bit.

i currently own the dewalt, but if i had it to buy over again i would pick the makita or milwaukee.
              miller dynasty 350
              miller spectrum 1000

Comment

Now if they only made a dry cut saw like the wood cutting miter saw. They Do! Evolution Steel 3, Rage 3, and Fury 3.

The Steel 3 is a metal only 10" TCT Steel Cutting Circular Miter Saw.
                No link however I got Evolution booklet at my LWS.

The others are 10" and 8 1/4" TCT Multipurpose Compound Miter S.A.W.

http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/s...%203%20%20Saw/

http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/s...ury%203%20Saw/

I want a dry cut saw, but I'm going to buy a millwaulkee porta-band saw first. Then a Harbor Freight 7"x12" or 4"x6" Band Saw. Then either the Steel 3 10" Steel Cutting Circular Miter Saw or the Steel 2 15" TCT Steel Cutting Circular Chop Saw.
                http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/s...eel%20Saw%202/

You have to set goal, and put them in order.

I use the Metabo angle grinder. It's OK. Slow to start up and get going(might be that it has been used and abused). Doesn't spin like the high RPM and torque of my HF grinder though. Just to help you out a little ACE.

James
                Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                20Ton press
                And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Originally posted by benny365 View Post
                  I apologize Jim.

I went ahead and got the Rage 2 for 225.00 from airgas locally. Cut a few pieces and it does a good job. Money was an issue for me so the price was a deciding factor. Anyways Thanks for all of the input Guys.

Ben
                  No problem Ben.........sorry for the short reply there,,,,,4 month old twins can have an effect on your lack of sleeping habits......hope that saw works as good for you as my Raptor 380 works for me Jim
                  Welding in Crete
                  Syncrowave 350 LX
                  Millermatic 252
                  Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
                  Miller Gold Seal 155
                  Miller Elite welding helmet
                  JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
                  Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
                  Hypertherm Powermax 30
                  Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Comment

here is the rage 3 in action.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnopNPgd-80

James, I am surprised you dont like you metabo grinder
                    Last edited by ace4059; 10-03-2008, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Ummm...I'd have to see a Metabo beaten by a HF to believe it. I've been using a 5" Metabo since '89 and it is still as strong now as it was new. They make stuff that is light years above chicom crap.
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

I have a cast base Milwaukee. abrasive saws like this are good rebar and general hacking a way at metal.
                        iIf your going to want to cut pices consistantly
                        get a Horizontle bansaw with coolant.
                        Even elcheepo china one will be you're new most
                        favord tool in the shop.

Mine has over 10" jaw
                        45Degree and all that.
                        $500 can.

The milwaukee cost $300.00 a bunch of years ago.
                        We used to pay alot more for tools and stuff. Not any more though.

But of corse if it has to be mobile than a chop saw is the way to go.
                        Millermatic 135
                        Dynasty 200DX

Comment

I like the milwaulkee I used once, seemed well made, and cut well. I am a bandsaw man though, I like to set my cut, walk away and do something else, come back to a finished cut.
                          Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
                          2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
                          sigpic

Comment

I just got the Rage II 14 incher and am getting ready to take it back (if they let me). I pulled it out of the box to use yesterday to cut some square tubing. It cuts through the metal just fine and rather smooth, however when you take a look at the edge after cutting you will see a jagged look, I'm sure it's just how the blade cuts, but it's basically not smooth and thus is not true in the way it cuts, basically you can see the chipping marks left over on whatever you're cutting.

Anyway, I could settle for that but the saw actually gets hung up on the rear lever. So basically the up and down motion (when I bring the saw blade down) is sticky or gets hung up. Some type of misalignment. The lever (which looks rather flimsy) rubs against the round blade cover and gets hungup on the way down. I have to jerk it for it to get passed it.

Maybe this is just on my tool, somekind of freak incident but, I think it lends itself to poor design, so, I hope to take a return (Sears) and I'll move on to a Milwaukee or something.

Comment

I have the evolution 230HDX and love it. I use a bandsaw for most stick materials in my shop, but the circ is great for plate and large angle or channel. For field work the circ is hard to beat. As long as I keep a slow steady feed rate blades last pretty darn long. The blades do get trashed eventually, but the time saved is well worth it to me. I am trying to find a way to afford the 14" chop saw version.

Comment

I purchased a Evolution 355 about two years ago, 14" blade. Love it. It does what I expect of it, cuts stuff very well. The fence is fairly tough and adjustable. Even tough the base is pressed metal, the saw seems to be well built. I have no idea whether it's built better than other machines, but it's good enough for my hobby shop use.

Here's my bottom line:
                                Pro's: cuts great when blade is sharp, fast, convenient, handles fairly large stock (I've cut up to 4" pipe)

Con's: eats blades (I'm on my 3rd blade about $100-120 each, 72 tooth), really really noisy, got to be very careful about pushing the blade too hard, or hitting the teeth inadvertently, cutting hard materials (1144) will wreck the blade quickly.

I'd like to have a good quality horizontal bandsaw, but don't want to give up shop floor space. I'll stay with the Evolution, though I'd say, due to blade consumption, it's not the least cost cutoff solution.
                                MTBob
                                Logan Lathe
                                Clausing Mill
                                Walker Turner Drill Press

Comment

Working...
                                X