Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evolution Cold saw

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution Cold saw

I'm thinking about getting an Evolution Rage 2 cold saw... What do you all think

http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/s...%202%20%20Saw/

250.00 at Airgas with a general purpase blade

Not technically a cold saw.

Comment

the rage 2 is an old saw, I would get the newer rage 3 if I was going to buy evolution brand saw.( but I think these saws are cheaper made and for a little more you can get alot better quality)

But if I was going to buy a dry cut saw, my first choice would be the 12" makita (it is the sturdest made, best design, and heavy duty) the only draw back is the 12" blade but is is better made. and If I had to have the 14" blade them I would get the Milwaukee (it is still a very good saw, just the makita has a little better vise and handle) . But stay away from the dewalt multicutter. It is cheap made and is a POS.
      The blade on the makita is the best.

Comment

I've got an Eviolution Raptor and lemme tell yuh It works awesome ........using it to cut square tubing and it goes through almost like butter..........I've heard a ton of pros & cons about these saws but from my experience it works awesome.. Just my 2cents Jim

Comment

Originally posted by ace4059 View Post
          the rage 2 is an old saw, I would get the newer rage 3 if I was going to buy evolution brand saw.( but I think these saws are cheaper made and for a little more you can get alot better quality)

But if I was going to buy a dry cut saw, my first choice would be the 12" makita (it is the sturdest made, best design, and heavy duty) the only draw back is the 12" blade but is is better made. and If I had to have the 14" blade them I would get the Milwaukee (it is still a very good saw, just the makita has a little better vise and handle) . But stay away from the dewalt multicutter. It is cheap made and is a POS.
          The blade on the makita is the best.
          Why do you call the Dewalt a POS. I have one and it seems to work fine.
          What do you base your statement on?

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
            Why do you call the Dewalt a POS. I have one and it seems to work fine.
            What do you base your statement on?
            It is very cheap built. The base is stamped steel not the heavy cast. The guard is plastic and the motor is over rated and needs to be built better. the swivel vise needs to tighten up better because it you are cutting and the piece gets loose then, you will be sweeping up broken teeth. The blade is also not the best, but it works ok. On the dewalt and milwaukee, the blades are for cutting metal but the design (teeth shape) is based on a regular blade. Look and the design of the makita blades and the freud diablo blades. They are better designed and will last longer.

Yes all these saws will work but from all the research that I have done, comparisons, use, and demos that I have seen, the makita is my first choice, followed by the milwaukee.

Comment

Strange...my DeWalt has been flawless except for operator error for the last several years. I would say my 10,000 or so cuts would disagree with your research. Could it be better? Yes. Is it a POS? **** NO.

Comment

let me know when it craps out.

Comment

Are you guys done?

What I like about the evolution is that is spins at 1400 rpm instead of 3 or 4 thousand.. and I like the idea of cutting metal rather than grinding metal.

Does anyone here have a saw by Evolution?

Later

Comment

Originally posted by benny365 View Post

Does anyone here have a saw by Evolution?

Later
                    No sorry but I dont know anyone with the evolution saw.

What I like about the evolution is that is spins at 1400 rpm instead of 3 or 4 thousand.. and I like the idea of cutting metal rather than grinding metal.
                    huh, thats funny, because we are talking about the same saw, only the makita spins at 1200 rpms and the dewalt 1300 rpms and milwaukee spin at 1500rpms.

Are you guys done?
                    I guess. You wanted to know about a dry cut saw (not a cold saw) and I told you which one is supieor so you wouldnt make a mistake and buy an inferior product. But then again, dont listen to what I have to say becasue I must not know what the **** I am talking about and the hours of research means nothing. I am not here to push a brand, only the better saw.
                    One example of this is I have 13 angle grinders. All dewalt. A friend has milwaukee angle grinders, and brought one over for me to use. I can tell you that the milwaukee is made better than my dewalts and the next ones I buy might be milwaukee. From all the articles and threads that I have read, Metabo is the best angle grinder (And when my dewalts crap out I am going to try a metabo and see how I like it compaired to milwaukee). So if some one wants to know about an angle grinder, Ill inform them that I personally think from what I have read that the metabo is the best one for the money.

Honestly I could care less which one you buy, Its your money.

Edit Here is an email from Alan at tricktools (van santent) Ryan, thanks for your email. Evolution just recently introduced the RAGE and FURY lines of equipment. The 380 Raptor is part of the high-end STEEL line of machines which offer a 5 yr warranty, and are industrial rated. They have a 2200 watt motor. The RAGE is a 2000 watt motor with a 3 year warranty. The RAGE is considered more of a multi-purpose saw.

The Jancy units are comparable to the Evolution STEEL series, they are the industrial versions. Mostly just brand name preference as you mentioned!

Alan Geetings
                    Sales Manager
                    Van Sant Enterprises, Inc.
                    641-628-3860 ext 108
                    www.tricktools.com"

Also if you watch the youtube videos of the rage 2 it show it is a multi purpose saw cutting wood with metal nails in it.
                    Last edited by ace4059; 10-01-2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ace4059 View Post
                      huh, thats funny, because we are talking about the same saw, only the makita spins at 1200 rpms and the dewalt 1300 rpms and milwaukee spin at 1500rpms.
                      This dewalt spins at 3800 RPM

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=10604

this Makita spins at 3800 RPM

http://www2.northerntool.com/power-t...em-1591721.htm

This Milwaukee Spins at 3900 RPM

http://www2.northerntool.com/power-t...tem-110862.htm

Are we talking about the same saws?

Comment

Not even close!
                        They are talking about dry cut saws, with carbide blades, not abrasives.

My Milwaukee turns 1500 RPM or thereabout.

Comment

Here is the correct Dewalt.
                          http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?categoryID=88

The Milwaukee was not produced at the time I purchased my DeWalt. I agree with Ace as the table is cheap on the DW and I have even replaced mine twice. I would have jumped on the Milwaukee if it was around when I jumped.

I did look at the Evoloution units at FabTech and they were a nice machines, if I got a good deal I would not hesitate.

I cannot comment on Makita as I only own one Makita and it is a cordless dry cut that has done ok but would like new batteries.

Good luck on your choice

Comment

I'm glad I asked, I didn't realize that all of the big manufactures made dry saws.

Comment

I find it odd when someone can comment about a product without ....first getting their facts straight. Who here has tried every brand to make a judgement. I've used many tools in my life and can't say which is best. If I use a tool and it doesn't perform well and I'm using it correctly, then I can make a judgement. My POS Dewalt Multicutter does what I expect of it. As long as my POS cuts my metal as I want, I have no reason to go and try other saws. If you're are a testing lab and have controlled tests and some don't pass muster........please report it. If not.........then don't bash without
                              facts. I'll put this bit of info with the "overweight person" that has tried every
                              diet plan on the planet(yeah shure) and doesn't get results till this new one
                              came out. Camel Cookies. Monkey Muffins. Doggy Doo. Horse Hockey. Cow Pies. Catch my drift? How about this........new concept........compare apples
                              to apples. Ok...rant over......BUT....don't expect others to take your evaluation as gospel. I will not..........Maybe I just had a bad day

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.