Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evolution Cold saw

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Makita LC-1230 and I absolutely love it. It is a beast.

I cut lots and lots of stainless tube and it is FAST and ACCURATE. The only downside is it is LOUD.

I have tried a few different blades, and the new ones my by Lenox are the best I have tried, even compared to the Makita blade which is quite good.

If you have one of these saws and are looking at blades in person, you cna tell almost right away if the blade is good or not based on how big the carbides are.

Big carbides means more sharpenings and more heat resistance which is very important.

The other thing to keep in mind if that these saws want to cut fast, you need to push them a bit or you will just cook the blade, they need to be making chips as the chips are what evacuate the heat in the cut. It takes some practice but man these saws are excellent.

I only ever use my bandsaw for really awkward stuff now. The Makita is easily 4x faster on average.

EDIT: here is a video I made of me cutting a stainless steel pipe for a header collector- I actually went a little too slow in this video, for reference.

Comment

Cool illustration, I'll have to check one out. I returned my Evo Rage II and I'm in the market for another chopper.

Comment

For what it's worth, I thought I'd throw in a couple of photos of a Evolution saw stand I built. The wing is pretty handy: it folds down, has a pull out extension and I've mounted a ruler on it for approximate dimensions. The 3/4" plate on the bottom keeps the table from tipping and the handles pull out for moving. One of the feet is adjustable to accommodate irregularities in the concrete floor. I've had the saw about two years and have just put on my 3rd blade (72 tooth). Great saw, expensive blades. Note the chip deflector on the right side of the blade, it sure minimizes chips flying every where.

Comment

lets remember

what these saws are intended and designed for - Rough in Steel work. If you want exact striaight lines with precise angles then get (like others previous mentioned) a coolant cooled band saw or a Bridgeport.

I have been building custom trailers and work surfaces for over 20 years and have personally had a Dewalt multicutter for over 6 years and it has never let me down. It has cut 2 in solid round bar stock without issue many times and does exactally what it is supposed to and quite well.

Last week I added to my tool box the Evolution Steel Saw 5 http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...n_evo230x.html

and also the Evolution Steel Saw 2
          http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...on_raptor.html

the both have had a substancial workout the first week of there life and they are holding up just fine.

The Steel Saw 5 has given my Miller Spectrum 375 a break and has drastically increased my productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by ABYSS View Post
            what these saws are intended and designed for - Rough in Steel work. If you want exact striaight lines with precise angles then get (like others previous mentioned) a coolant cooled band saw or a Bridgeport.

I have been building custom trailers and work surfaces for over 20 years and have personally had a Dewalt multicutter for over 6 years and it has never let me down. It has cut 2 in solid round bar stock without issue many times and does exactally what it is supposed to and quite well.

Last week I added to my tool box the Evolution Steel Saw 5 http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...n_evo230x.html

and also the Evolution Steel Saw 2
            http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...on_raptor.html

the both have had a substancial workout the first week of there life and they are holding up just fine.

The Steel Saw 5 has given my Miller Spectrum 375 a break and has drastically increased my productivity.
            That Evolution saw is BADA$$ isn"t it ABYSS ? I love mine and I think it cuts pretty darn straight personally.
            Jim
            Last edited by uhohjim; 11-11-2008, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by benny365 View Post
              I'm thinking about getting an Evolution Rage 2 cold saw... What do you all think

http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/s...%202%20%20Saw/

250.00 at Airgas with a general purpase blade
              I too have been eyeballing the %^& out of the new Evo models.
              Need to find one that'll cut through my old lady's fat hairy arm, when she goes to grab a Snap-On wrench to pry the paint can lid off.
              I digress....
              Check and see if there is an authorized dealer or outfit locally that will let you
              or has a demo you can play with(maybe a large welding outfit?).
              That's how I got to paw one of the new ones so far.

Comment

One other thing on the Evo dry cut saws.............I looked at theses saws for quite a while at my steel supplier.There was a Morse steel cutting saw sitting on his shelf going for about 5 bones........looked exactly the same as the Evolution saw. Asked my supplier what the difference was? He said it was made by the same manufacturer only about a $125 price dif from the Evo to the morse.........for $125 more I'm not sure what I would have gotten with the Morse ,but I'm happy with what I have for sure.
                Jim

Comment

Evolution Saw

I have an Evolution Steel Saw 2 and it is great no problems whatsoever If all I were doing was cuttin steel I would not get the saw you are looking at I have since bought a Grizzly Cold Saw It works perfect it isnt as nice as the name brand ones but it doesnt cost $5000 either $995

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the Evo 230X and 230HDX? I get the impression 230HDX and Steelsaw 5 are newer designations, but is the actual saw design any newer/better? or more to the point, is it worth paying more for?

Comment

I have the Evolution Steel 2 Raptor and have had it about a year with no complaints. It cut fast and accurate with no heat. If your going from an abrazive cutoff to this your going to love it. I'm by no means a high production guy or anything just fabricate when ever I get the chance so I can't attest to it from a daily shop use but it's never let me down I highly recomend it.

Comment

Another old guy I know has an old fashioned tool called a power hacksaw, and I'm waiting for him to break down and sell it to me. I don't know if these are made anymore, and they're kind of slow, but this one sure makes nice square cuts which saves on additional prep-work.

Comment

i'm just posting so i can find this later. to read all the posts.
                          i'm looking for a good saw. and was leaning to the rage2 for $280.00
                          anyone have anything else to ad that might be helpful?

Comment

Evolution Saws are Unmatched

The Rage2 is a great option. I own almost every orange and blue saw evolution has made. Best metal cutting investment ever. I've used all different blades of all brands and if you're only cutting steel, the blue Evolution blade is the best around. You can put one of those on the Rage2 but it comes with a multipurpose blade. Cant beat the price either. GL hope this helped.

Comment

I guess. You wanted to know about a dry cut saw (not a cold saw) and I told you which one is supieor so you wouldnt make a mistake and buy an inferior product. But then again, dont listen to what I have to say becasue I must not know what the **** I am talking about and the hours of research means nothing. I am not here to push a brand, only the better saw.
                              One example of this is I have 13 angle grinders. All dewalt.

---------------------------------------------

You are a salesman . We need help NOT from salemen .

We need help from users .

I have 130 Harbor Frieght angle grinders , Not DeWalts .

Thats because im NOT a saleman , I use these grinders

every day.

Please go sell something , and stop bothering us here

Comment

Carbide is brittle , last longer . C6 ..

Wood cutting circular saws use carbide thats

soft . maybe C-3 , to turn stuff on ur lathe , you will

only find C5, C6 , cause they hold up to extreme temperatures .

Metal cutting saws cant use C-6 , it make too much $$$

for the saw blade sellors .

Yet , C-3 may be same high wear ! but not for shattering ,

for wear-out of a different kind .

SFM Surface feet per minute is critical .

I dare say , you wont find easy data .

You'll have to dial it in emperically , and report back here .

Now you see why i posted against the salesman .
                                NOISE , MISSINFORMATION , SALES , MARKETING .

I dont sell , I buy , I do .

BTW inverter boxes are easy to control for Wire-Feed ..
                                less noise for higher frequency , smoother D.C.
                                ( cause its above 25khx )

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.