Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin grill from butane tank

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makin grill from butane tank

Well here goes my first attempt,hope I can,I see them everywere how do they cook?any advice? Post some pics of yours pleeze!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HOTROD; 09-20-2008, 05:56 PM. Reason: Add on

Best advice, mike sure that tank has been cleaned of any Butane, usually caustic dipped, prior to doing any cutting or welding on the tank. I know most people know this, but I would feel bad if something bad happened and I didn;t say anything.

That said, tanks makes pretty good barbeques. Depending on how advanced a cooker you are, you could look to putting a box on the side to hold the coals to make for indirect heating. If you are going direct only, look for a way to increase or decrease the heat by raising or lowering the coals. Also, vents to let in air and vents to let out exhaust

Comment

tanks

Either fill it with water or purge with Nitrogen gas prior to cutting into the tank. It does not take much butane/propane to give you very bad day!

Comment

I've got an old tank hiding behind my shed awaiting it's fate as a smoker, just gotta find the time to giterdone. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was nervous about cutting it. my plan is to fill it with water.

If you are making it a smoker, consider making it a reverse flow smoker. My understanding is that they heat much more evenly. For the doors, I've read to cut them out about 90%, tack the hinge on, then cut the last bit of it. You get the door perfectly aligned that way.

Comment

There shouldn't be a problem if you fill it with water. That's a good tip about the hinges.

Comment

Yeah, purging before flame cutting,pretty important. Or else,"But where is the earth shattering kaboom". -Marvin the Martian/Looney Tunes

Comment

Grillin

To late I already cut doors out! I geuss this will be my PROTOTYPE

Comment

i would start by making a nice angle iron frame to hold it up at a comfortable bbq'ing height and go from there..maybe a tray along the front to hold your sauce, brushes, etc...a table on the side to hold some plates or whatever..maybe a shelf down on the bottom of the angle iron frame..you can cut some vent holes and use some flat bar to make a slide so the vents can open or close however much you like..I would just start with a frame and get creative from there.

As for the hinges...just tack the cut pieces(doors) in place how you think they would line up originally and then tack/weld your hinges. Cut the tacks you used to line everything up and should work perfect.
                Last edited by albertawelder; 09-27-2008, 02:18 AM. Reason: To add a point

Comment

Thanks ALBERTAWELDER sounds like a starting point

Comment

In regards to fitting the doors, I use flat bar tabs about 2" long (4 on each door) with the center of the tab at the edge of the door with the tacks about 1/2" from the door edge.

You can then just drop the door into the opening and it won't fall in and will be flush and easy to align. Stick a couple of spacers in the bottom gap and fit/weld your hinges. Then remove the tabs and tacks.

Comment

Thanks for the input Marcel Bauer sounds like youve burned a rod or 2! Can you send pics of some of your smokers or grills?

Comment

Built for somebody else and mine had to be left behind when I moved some years ago.

Comment

I've done 2 grills from old butane tanks so I'm not too high on the list of "expert" grill makers, but I've trimmed the edges of the doors with 1 x 1/8 flat to cover the gaps. You can bend it by hand to fit. Grills are fun to make unless you are trying to make a profit on them. They are time consuming but I've enjoyed building them. Sorry, no pics right now. I can get a pic of the small one, 32 gal. The big 250 gal is where I can't get a pic of it anymore.

Comment

Im buiding it for myself just a learning experience should be making money much as I have racked my brain Thanks JIM-TX
                            Last edited by HOTROD; 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM. Reason: forgot to say thanks

Comment

When we build a pit, the top and bottom of the doors get cut first, tack the hinges, cut each end, ck for no binding, finish hinge weld. I generally add 1"x1/8" around the doors.
                              Here is a pit SIL and his bud built (w/my supervision) from a discarded propane tank, fire box is 2'x2'x".
                              Have fun
                              L*S
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.