No announcement yet.

Labor Pricing HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this was about pricing to some extent, I am not familiar with other general fabs in my area but my rate is 75 (when I do this work) and I usually am the one counting the hours. Example, I fix a piece of logging equipment the other day in shop, I worked on it for 6 and billed for 8. Several factors, one being that psychologically they feel a lot better about paying 75 vs the 100, it came in at 2 and they picked it up in the morning and I did it myself and didn't pass it off to the hired help like the last outfit that repaired this highly stresses part did. With some improvement I did they will likely never have another problem, they got their moneys worth.

Comment

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
      Might be she is just stirring up the poo?

It's the written word, so you can type a message and fling it out into cyberness, let 10 people read it and they will have 11 different takes on it.

I don't get all hurt easily but a lot of internet people do. I have "spirited" conversations every day with friends of mine. My own Lovely Wife/Chic says that people don't know how to take me (in person) so on the interweb, I'm a lost cause

Either way I don't read excess into anybody's posts. And I don't get wound up if they read excess into mine.

But that "boy this guy is pissed!, wow, your angry " comment, come on dude, it's just not there and even if it is what's the big deal. Major over reaction. You expect this kind of thing from the "kinder gentler tree huggers" but good grief man it's a welding forum. Develope a thicker hide if it's just too brutal for you but people goof on each other, they dog on each other and they rag on each other in my world. It doesn't signify an "angry" individual. It's just "another" day in the life.

Don't let people rent space in your head.

JTMcC.
      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

"Don't let people rent space in your head", interesting quote JTMcC.

Also, I had been looking for your truck in town (Phoenix) for a while with all the work on the Trans Western line coming through Prescott and into town. Lotsa rig welders. Never have seen it, not that that means much, but I was lookin'. I no longer work for the Gas Co so am not around it a lot any longer but it looks to be an interesting project. My wife and I were on our way up to our place in Crown King and I had to stop and look at one of the control valve installations, as thats the work I had been doing, very interesting and those guys did not waste any time. I was surprised how quickly they made it through BCC and into Phoenix.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
          "Don't let people rent space in your head", interesting quote JTMcC.

Also, I had been looking for your truck in town (Phoenix) for a while with all the work on the Trans Western line coming through Prescott and into town. Lotsa rig welders. Never have seen it, not that that means much, but I was lookin'. I no longer work for the Gas Co so am not around it a lot any longer but it looks to be an interesting project. My wife and I were on our way up to our place in Crown King and I had to stop and look at one of the control valve installations, as thats the work I had been doing, very interesting and those guys did not waste any time. I was surprised how quickly they made it through BCC and into Phoenix.

I have several friends working on that spread, but I've been working well north of that job. The last two years I was on the KM line from El Paso to Tucson.
          The Phoenix area traffic just drives me nuts, I really like to stay in the rural parts of the country. The last work I did in the area was on the SanTan Powerhouse expansion, we did the cooling water fab for PKS. I'm up in Chino Valley last week and next, welding a little bit of 36".

JTMcC

Comment

Interesting. I hate going into Phoenix too, and try to keep my work in the New River-Cave Creek area, but more and more am forced into driving south. Pm me next time your working down here, maybe I can meet up with you.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
              Interesting. I hate going into Phoenix too, and try to keep my work in the New River-Cave Creek area, but more and more am forced into driving south. Pm me next time your working down here, maybe I can meet up with you.

I'll do just that.

JTMcC.

Comment

the ability to bid jobs correctly will determine whether or not a business is successful, probably even more so than how good of a weldor/fabricator you are. there are a million ways to bid jobs and 999500 of them are wrong, but that still leaves 500 ways to do it correctly. so don't expect any kind of consensus on how to price labor/jobs on an internet board.
                miller dynasty 350
                miller spectrum 1000

Comment

Well just an update, I came in high and didn't get it, so it was a learning experience for next time. Thanks to everybody that gave input into the matter though, it was all appreciated.
                  MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
                  MIller CP 300 w/S22-A Feeder
                  Miller Syncro 200
                  Miller 375 X Plasma
                  Miller Elite Hood
                  JD2 Bender
                  Tube Notcher
                  Horizontal/ Verticle Bandsaw
                  Makita Angle Grinders
                  Arsenal of handtools
                  Evolution Raptor dry saw
                  Single Stage 60 Gallon Compressor
                  Delta Drill Press

"No fear to learn by doing", and a degree in Redneck Engineering

Comment

Originally posted by SinGear View Post
                    Well just an update, I came in high and didn't get it, so it was a learning experience for next time. Thanks to everybody that gave input into the matter though, it was all appreciated.
                    Since you are in with them did they tell you what the other bid was?
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                      Since you are in with them did they tell you what the other bid was?
                      This was actually a bid for my buddy at another cabinet shop. He baulked at the price when I gave it to him, but I had reviewed trimmed and adjusted it 4 times before I gave it to him, and I felt confident that's what it would have taken to do it. I'm thinking I might of put to much time into it, but then again didn't want to slit my throat. I think he said I missed it by 500 on a $2800 overall bid, (I did not include the powder coating, he was handling that).

So like I said it was a good learning experience.
                      MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
                      Miller Syncro 200
                      Miller 375 X Plasma
                      Miller Elite Hood
                      JD2 Bender
                      Tube Notcher
                      Makita Angle Grinders
                      Arsenal of handtools
                      Evolution Raptor dry saw
                      Delta Drill Press

Comment

Oh and I also priced it out in DOM tube because of the slip joint, so that kicked the price up as well.
                        MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
                        Miller Syncro 200
                        Miller 375 X Plasma
                        Miller Elite Hood
                        JD2 Bender
                        Tube Notcher
                        Makita Angle Grinders
                        Arsenal of handtools
                        Evolution Raptor dry saw
                        Delta Drill Press

Comment

Heck I wouldn't sweat that....they may lose money before it's all said and done.
                          I miss bids all the time...sometimes I bid extra high and hope I don't get the job!!! But I always make sure I make a good wage for my efforts.
                          It keeps up my local reputation for being at the top of the food chain

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I don't get much more than 15-18% of the work I bid.

I have been to two conferences on bidding work and both have said if you are getting 20%+ of the work bid then you are leaving too much money on the table. If less than 10% then you are too high.

Comment

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
                              I don't get much more than 15-18% of the work I bid.

I have been to two conferences on bidding work and both have said if you are getting 20%+ of the work bid then you are leaving too much money on the table. If less than 10% then you are too high.

I wouldn't have too much problem with those figures except I think that it would depend on too many things... like how much competition you had and the population and what niche you work in. I prolly get more like 1/2 of what I bid.
                              I get $100 an hr but if I'm pretty sure (and you can tell) I'm gonna miss it, I'll throw down a cap on the total and tell them I'll work it in with my better paying jobs. This way i get to do the more cool jobs and it makes them feel like they got a deal plus it keeps me in wally world.
                              I prefer to keep it casual...one of the main reasons I hate bosses

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                              Miller WC-115-A
                              Miller Spectrum 300
                              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                                I wouldn't have too much problem with those figures except I think that it would depend on too many things... like how much competition you had and the population and what niche you work in. I prolly get more like 1/2 of what I bid.
                                I get $100 an hr but if I'm pretty sure (and you can tell) I'm gonna miss it, I'll throw down a cap on the total and tell them I'll work it in with my better paying jobs. This way i get to do the more cool jobs and it makes them feel like they got a deal plus it keeps me in wally world.
                                I prefer to keep it casual...one of the main reasons I hate bosses
                                Yes the numbers for quote ratio was for a metropolitan area with "X" number of contractors per "X" number of population. It would change to a higher ratio the less dense the population but the hourly rate should drop as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X