Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tubing Roller

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tubing Roller

    I am looking to buy a tubing roller for round and/or square tubing maybe up to 1-1/4 or 1-1/2" capacity. I have seen these 3 wheeled tubing rollers and that is most likely what I will buy but I have a few questions. Are those cheap one junk or do they do the job like the high dollar ones? For example I found this one:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99736

    And it looks like about what I need. Anybody have one of these? My next question is what is the smallest full circle diameter one could expect to make with this and finally, can these easily make repetitive items once you set it or is the pressure wheel have to be gradually tightened each time?
    Thanks,
    Grumple

  • #2
    They won't do repetitive bends without starting from the beginning after each part.

    Also, when you make progressive steps, the increments need to be close to identical between parts in order to hit the same diameter with the same setting if you use a mark on the travel indication for repetition. Any difference in springback or roll diameter is going to show up cumulatively. You can avoid that by simply measuring each ring as you roll them and use whatever tension is needed to hit your diameter or angle.

    I don't have any experience with that particular roller, but would suggest the draw type benders if you want consistency and don't need more than 180 degree bends.

    Comment


    • #3
      Jim,
      Thanks for the info. I was actually hoping for 360 degree bends as in full circle. That is why the ring or tubing roller style. But thats what I was thinking on the repetitive bends so thats cleared up now. I guess if I can make them close enough is good enough.
      Grumple

      Comment


      • #4
        I used to work at a shop that rolled 1" square tubing on a regular basis (for round bale feeders). A 24' length made the exact size ring that we were looking for, the boss built a hydraulically driven bender that rolled the tube in one shot. He had to put a few small tack welds on one of the dies to help suck the tube in at the start, so it left small dimples on the inside which in that case wasn't a big deal.

        You'd be amazed at the difference between bundles of tubing. You could have it set perfect for one bundle and the next tube you roll from a fresh bundle will give you two circles of tube! It's also a good idea to keep the seam on the inside of the bend (if I remember correctly).

        I hope my rambling has helped you!

        Comment


        • #5
          Jim-Grumple

          You should be able to make 360- you have to push the ends side by side instead of Over/Under like with Flat stock.

          I did it this way for the Wheel on my roller, using a Powered Roller I had access to and you still had to roll the "Ring" with incremental pressure applied with each roll.

          This was a 26" Diameter wheel I imagine the smaller rings would be a beech to nudge the ends.

          Check here for what size Rings the roller will make

          http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/99736.pdf

          Comment


          • #6
            Ed, I was just making the statement that if you needed consistency, and speed, and didn't need more than a 180 bend, that I think a draw type bender would provide better results as long as the diameter permitted using such a machine to form the bends.

            I'm aware these rollers will do 360's, but making consistent bends with small radii in any kind of production volume is going to take a lot of user involvement over the other option.

            This is also a situation where Chris' forming "halves" method might have some merit over doing a single hoop (depending on intended diameter). The time and expense of the second weld bead might easily be made up in the lack of time to form the ring (especially if it's a small diameter).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
              ... needed consistency, and speed,


              It is a HF roller- So figgered that those words really were used rather loosely

              Comment


              • #8
                Ah, but I was suggesting he buy something else if he wanted either of those attributes.

                I wouldn't use the two to define a HF tool unless I was referring to how it would break.

                Have you looked inside their powder coating ovens? Mmmm



                So it was only a failure to properly connect the terminal with undersized wire, but I'm not sure that wire is rated for the 13A load it's designed to carry.

                I don't intend to keep this thing long enough to melt it again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Grumple,, The hf roller most likely won't do the tubing sizes you want I have bent up to 3/4 inch square with it and got decent results but the tube starts to want to fold in on itself.....Round tube ive bent at one inch od , but talk about a struggle and hard to keep consistent.....and it also oblongs the tube on the bend radius..........so it won't be round tube when you're done.
                  I've seen benders sold by Eastwood that had dies made for bending round tube that I have heard work awesome...about a $1000 for them though.....
                  If youre gonna bend small square I'd get the HF ,,3/4 inch or under the Hf would probably be ok........OTHERWISE I'm thinking your gonna need something with a a little more MARBLES. My 2 cents worth JIm

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by c wagner View Post
                    I used to work at a shop that rolled 1" square tubing on a regular basis (for round bale feeders). A 24' length made the exact size ring that we were looking for, the boss built a hydraulically driven bender that rolled the tube in one shot. He had to put a few small tack welds on one of the dies to help suck the tube in at the start, so it left small dimples on the inside which in that case wasn't a big deal.

                    You'd be amazed at the difference between bundles of tubing. You could have it set perfect for one bundle and the next tube you roll from a fresh bundle will give you two circles of tube! It's also a good idea to keep the seam on the inside of the bend (if I remember correctly).

                    I hope my rambling has helped you!
                    Thanks for the info. Its all good. I was wanting to roll smaller diameter tubing like 1" maybe down to 14-15" circle. I guess maybe the cheapo manual ones would be a chore to do this and I am not ready to spend big bucks on one so I may need to rethink this operation before I spend $$ on something that won't even work.
                    Thanks,
                    Grumple

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                      Jim-Grumple

                      You should be able to make 360- you have to push the ends side by side instead of Over/Under like with Flat stock.

                      I did it this way for the Wheel on my roller, using a Powered Roller I had access to and you still had to roll the "Ring" with incremental pressure applied with each roll.

                      This was a 26" Diameter wheel I imagine the smaller rings would be a beech to nudge the ends.

                      Check here for what size Rings the roller will make

                      http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...9999/99736.pdf
                      Ed,
                      Thanks for the link to the pdf manual. It looks like the machine will bend a 5" radius with 1" steel tube so it may just work for me as I was thinking more like 12" and larger.
                      Grumple

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                        Ed, I was just making the statement that if you needed consistency, and speed, and didn't need more than a 180 bend, that I think a draw type bender would provide better results as long as the diameter permitted using such a machine to form the bends.

                        I'm aware these rollers will do 360's, but making consistent bends with small radii in any kind of production volume is going to take a lot of user involvement over the other option.

                        This is also a situation where Chris' forming "halves" method might have some merit over doing a single hoop (depending on intended diameter). The time and expense of the second weld bead might easily be made up in the lack of time to form the ring (especially if it's a small diameter).
                        Jim,
                        I must have missed Chris's forming halves method. Is it in another link or do I need to clean my glasses? That would work for me too as long as I could make 2 halves in 1" steel tubing that were identical with a 12" radius.
                        Thanks,
                        Grumple

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                          Ah, but I was suggesting he buy something else if he wanted either of those attributes.

                          I wouldn't use the two to define a HF tool unless I was referring to how it would break.

                          Have you looked inside their powder coating ovens? Mmmm



                          So it was only a failure to properly connect the terminal with undersized wire, but I'm not sure that wire is rated for the 13A load it's designed to carry.

                          I don't intend to keep this thing long enough to melt it again.
                          If its within 30 days just take it back. I have done that when the machine doesn't live up to the specs. In your case that is a fire hazard. How gig is that pc oven anyhow, I just use a second hand oven.
                          Grumple

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by uhohjim View Post
                            Grumple,, The hf roller most likely won't do the tubing sizes you want I have bent up to 3/4 inch square with it and got decent results but the tube starts to want to fold in on itself.....Round tube ive bent at one inch od , but talk about a struggle and hard to keep consistent.....and it also oblongs the tube on the bend radius..........so it won't be round tube when you're done.
                            I've seen benders sold by Eastwood that had dies made for bending round tube that I have heard work awesome...about a $1000 for them though.....
                            If youre gonna bend small square I'd get the HF ,,3/4 inch or under the Hf would probably be ok........OTHERWISE I'm thinking your gonna need something with a a little more MARBLES. My 2 cents worth JIm
                            Jim,
                            So you own the roller in the link I posted? If it will do a 12" radius full circle in 1" steel tubing I would be happy. I have seen the Eastwoods but I don't know if I need one that bad at least not for now.
                            Thanks,
                            Grumple

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              benders

                              You might look on Craigslist for a used Hossfeld bender. They do all sorts of stuff and are much heavier duty than the Horrible Freight version, and they have lots of dies and can be equipped with a hydraulic cylinder instead of the hand lever.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.