Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price of aluminum

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of aluminum

I just checked with my local supplier of metal. I want to use 2"x2" x 1/4 wall
    aluminum 6061 box tube for the backbone of my heli project. They want $180.77 for a 24' piece(the shortest they have...no drops) Online with Metal Depot it would be about $97 more. How do these prices sound to you guys?
    I know aluminum is high but WOW!! Any feedback welcome.

Cheaper Source

Try www>onlinemetals.com or www.Speedymetals.com

Frank AKA Weekend Welder

Comment

Probably about the same here.

16' 16g 1" tubing 30.00 bux.

Comment

Do you know if there is a "Reliance Steel and Aluminum co." near you?

Comment

Look at scrap prices

2x2x.25 sq ->
          (2-.25)*.25*4 sides=1.75sq in cross sectional area
          Vol=A*l=1.75*24'*12in per ft=504 cu in
          Wt= Vol*density= 504 cu in*.098 lb per cu in=49.4lb

Market price = $$/lb=$180.77/49.4=$3.66 per pound

$3.66 per pound is not bad for retail considering the fact that they are paying around a dollar a pound for scrap, or around 4 times scrap rate for retail.

Contrast that with steel which I am buying retail for around $1.20 per pound (pipe) and they are paying $0.06 per pound to scrap it, or 20 times scrap rate. I lose 95% of my money on every pound of steel I scrap, whereas aluminum loses only 75%.

And that same pipe was like $0.90 per pound last year. Our dollar buys less and less metal every day. Better lock in that price now!

And be glad you aren't building this out of stainless or copper!

Comment

Haven't bought any aluminum lately, but where I buy my drops, the other day a 1 sq. ft. piece of 1/2" cr steel was $23.00. Unreal.

Comment

I just bought 150' of 2x2x3/16 a500 steel tube for $560/foot but another shop wanted $9/ft. And a 1/2"x6"x20' piece of flat steel plate cost me$173!
              Originally posted by monte55 View Post
              aluminum 6061 box tube for the backbone of my heli project. They want $180.77 for a 24' piece(the shortest they have...no drops) Online with Metal Depot it would be about $97 more. How do these prices sound to you guys?
              Last edited by turbo38t; 09-20-2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post

I don't think you will beat that price much, but you might check with T&W Steel. They are in Lee's Summit Mo. and carry some alum. if you don't know about them. I bought a section of 3/16 x 2 x 4 Stainless about two months ago and it was around $700

Comment

Actually T& W is my local supplier and the ones that gave me that price. Where are you located? Are you in my area?

Comment

Metal choices

I've been rethinking the using of 2" square aluminum tube x.250 wall on my heli project being that I only need about 6-8 feet but have to get a 24' piece locally. Been reading a little on DOM on the metal site.........what steel is it? What does it compare to? Is it available in square 2x2 " tube? I understand 2x2"
                    box aluminum x 1/4 wall is a little over 2 lbs per foot. Would 2x2" steel tube
                    x .120 wall be as strong...stronger...weaker, and it's weight per foot as compared to aluminum? The two sites I have links to don't give all the info
                    or I just can't find it. I do need to keep the weight down. Any info on this
                    will be appreciated. I'm still looking.

Comment

Anybody know?

Comment

2x2x.12 is somewhere in the ballpark of 3 lb per foot. And steel tube is going for about a buck a pound.

I'd use it.

Comment

I just priced this same tbing here locally, and for basic retail they want 214 bucks, for semi good customers they are asking right at 198.00, and for me and a few others that the owner seems to be real cool to i can get the same piece for 168 bucks. so i would say your shop is not too far off from what i'm seeing around here.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.