Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weighing down Aluminum?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighing down Aluminum?

I've been working on a sculpture made out of .080 aluminum and I need to weigh down the base somehow so it is stable.

It is crescent shaped cylinder so space is a little difficult. If there was something I could pour in that would be great. I thought about buying some workout weights and suspending them within the shape with string and then filling the void with an expandable two part form to act as an insulator to prevent the cast iron from touching the aluminum.

I'd love to just pour in some concrete but I've been reading bad things about AL and concrete. Sand has been suggested but would it hold moisture? The sculpture is going to be indoors.

What would I be able to use without having to worry about corrosion or problems down the road?

Thanks!

LEAD melts at a low temp so you don't need a furnace. very dense .

Comment

Are lead and AL similar metals or would I have to worry about galvanic corrosion?

Comment

As soon as started reading this my thought was pour some led in it. Not sure about reactions between the two metals. Ask around at some tire shops maybe theyhave some old wheel weights that you can have.

Comment

are we talking a quart or like 25 gallons?

Comment

Use lead. It won't hurt the aluminum. And you don't want to use concrete either it has lye in it and will corrode the aluminum. Lye is what the anodizing shops use to strip the anodize off the aluminum part.
            Kerry

Comment

What about gravel? Or scrap aluminum?

Comment

As has been mentioned, use lead poured into a mold.

Molds for fishing sinkers are made of cast aluminum and are constantly being subjected to molten lead without problems.

Comment

you might look at shot-gun pellets. you can buy them for reloading in small but heavy bags. fairly cheap and lots of wait. that would keep you from having to melt anything, just have to seal it up some how after. maybe some of the foam.
                  most gun or sporting places with gun's should have them.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                    you might look at shot-gun pellets. you can buy them for reloading in small but heavy bags. fairly cheap and lots of wait. that would keep you from having to melt anything, just have to seal it up some how after. maybe some of the foam.
                    most gun or sporting places with gun's should have them.
                    The shot would also be removeable if one ever needed to do that.

Griff

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas!!! Sorry for the late "thank you" but I've been away.

I think I'm going to hit up Gander Mountain or Bass Pro and try the bags of lead shot. I'm looking at adding @50 lbs so I think that might be the easiest way to go. I've bought bags before to use in my shaping bag and I remember it being heavy and cheap.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Try a tire shop. They pay or get very little to have old lead taken away and I bet they would be glad to give you as much as you wanted. if you want to freeze it in place to prevent shifting or rattling you can use fiberglass binder. It is cheap and hardens fast. Mix it up and pour it in on the lead weights to lock them in place. Too bad you are not in the NOVA area I could set you up with as much as you want.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.