Pehaka Bandsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
    To answer your question about converters, I ran all my 220V three phase machines off a 3HP rotary converter until I fired up my 30" direct drive Oliver bandsaw... it just wouldn't fire that huge 2HP motor... so I had to step up to a 10HP converter for that saw. The Laidlaw may be a different story, since it has a gear box driven by a flat belt from the motor, but I haven't yet tried it on the 3HP converter. I don't know if you will have any luck at all with a static converter. It really depends on how the drive is on the saw and how much grunt you're looking at to get her moving.
    I thought my posts were invisible to you, but I'll try again.

I would hedge a bet that you need at least a 3HP 3PH rotary converter.
    I'm not an electrician, though. This is based on my experience as I mentioned above.

How many wires are coming out of the motor?

Did you get bearings for the upper and lower guides yet?
    Do the wheels spin true?
    How is the drive-train?
    I would work backwards from there. You can always swap in a single-phase motor if you don't have other three-phase equipment.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
      I thought my posts were invisible to you, but I'll try again.

I would hedge a bet that you need at least a 3HP 3PH rotary converter.
      I'm not an electrician, though. This is based on my experience as I mentioned above.

How many wires are coming out of the motor?

Did you get bearings for the upper and lower guides yet?
      Do the wheels spin true?
      How is the drive-train?
      I would work backwards from there. You can always swap in a single-phase motor if you don't have other three-phase equipment.
      Yes I saw your posts Chris thanx,,,,,,I wasn't exactly sure if I was reading the numbers on the motor right or not........I'm used to Apparently American made motors where 1 phase and 3 phase are clearly stated. I didn't really get that from looking at the tag on the motor on my saw.......I definitely am looking at using a rotary convertor if the motor is good,I can buy a cheaper mill/lathe and other stuff if I get the rotary convertor. As of right now the wheels seem to spin true..I'm cleaning up alot of surface rust on the table the speed adjustment looks similar to a centrifugal clutch ,,gearbox seems as though it works ..seems to be free and moving I haven't messed with the guide bearing yet I'm going to pull the table off and mess with all that in the near future. Did you see the pic of the motor tag Chris??I just want to make sure where I'm going with it .......when I'm not sure I get real ANTSY about moving forward......Any way Thanx Again for the info Jim
      Welding in Crete
      Syncrowave 350 LX
      Millermatic 252
      Millermatic 180 w Spoolgun
      Miller Gold Seal 155
      Miller Elite welding helmet
      JD2 Tubing bender with Hydraulic conversion
      Evolution Raptor15" SteelDry Cut Saw
      Hypertherm Powermax 30
      Some really cool hammers BIG and small

Comment

Hi Jim,

I saw the tag, but wasn't clear on single or three phase either.
        I did check out the motor manufacturer's website, though, and everything was three phase.
        Also, most machinery of that size and application tends to be three phase, as it is more efficient to operate in an industrial environment.

I'm surprised no one else has come forward.

You could pull the motor and take it to a local motor service outfit and have them test it.

Good luck and keep us posted. Once you get that thing up and running, you're gonna be super stoked.
        Maxstar 200DX
        Maxstar 300DX
        Dynasty 200DX
        Passport
        Spectrum 701
        LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Thanx Chris.......you see my predicament with the motor............Just not sure ExACTLY what it is ..also seems as though maybe it's a two speed motor as there are two rpm ranges listed next to each other.,......I think I will be taking it off and having it tested.Better to know then guess and waste money.....I will keep you posted on the motor developments as they happen..But it's going slow..I've got 5 month old twins at home eatin up a lot of free time lol Sleep time too for that matter.......... Thanx again will keep you posted Jim
          Welding in Crete
          Syncrowave 350 LX
          Millermatic 252
          Miller Gold Seal 155
          Hypertherm Powermax 30

Comment

Chris, Just checked out the Katt Motor website.........I get the feeling that Knowing how to speak German might come in very handy for using thier direct tech line.......But I may just try if my local electric motor guy deosn't have answers. Thanx Jim
            Welding in Crete
            Syncrowave 350 LX
            Millermatic 252
            Miller Gold Seal 155
            Hypertherm Powermax 30

Comment

Just picked up on this thread while googling Pehaka. Maybe a little late for comments, but here's a few that I hope may help you on your project. #1- the blade guides are DoAll style, different thickness slotted blocks (to accommodate different blade widths) with a 45 deg. bevel at the end. Not sure if they'll fit but it's sure worth a try. #2- to power the 3ph. motor you could go with a Variable Frequency Drive with a single ph. input and three ph. output. You could then use the Freq. drive to control motor speed. I used this setup on a 14" band saw and it works great. Good luck on your project, Jerry

Comment

Wow!
                That's pretty generous use of you're time Jerry, to go through the registration process to help someone out on a thread you picked up on a google search.
                Welcome to the board!!!
                Hope you stick around, this is a really good site, a lot of good people here.
                Pete
                To all who contribute to this board.
                My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                Miller Syncrowave 250
                Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by rv6 View Post
                  Just picked up on this thread while googling Pehaka. Maybe a little late for comments, but here's a few that I hope may help you on your project. #1- the blade guides are DoAll style, different thickness slotted blocks (to accommodate different blade widths) with a 45 deg. bevel at the end. Not sure if they'll fit but it's sure worth a try. #2- to power the 3ph. motor you could go with a Variable Frequency Drive with a single ph. input and three ph. output. You could then use the Freq. drive to control motor speed. I used this setup on a 14" band saw and it works great. Good luck on your project, Jerry
                  Thaks for the input Jerry I have a static convertor coming for the bandsaw that a neighbor of mine had lying around so I will try firing the motor,,I have been stripping the saw down slowly but surely as time allows...I've got 6 month old twins so time doesn't allow much right now lol. I will post some pics when I get it fired up Thanx again Jim
                  Welding in Crete
                  Syncrowave 350 LX
                  Millermatic 252
                  Miller Gold Seal 155
                  Hypertherm Powermax 30

Comment

Try Ellis

You might contact the people at Ellis Saw and see if they can help you adapt some the parts.

Here is the link: www.ellissaw.com

Comment

Originally posted by uhohjim View Post
                      Hello Everyone.wanted to know if anyone might know where I can get some info on an older Pehaka bandsaw I just picked up for a song and dance....I googled pehaka and all I could get was people selling them......Any bandsaw forums maybe? Thanx in advance JIM
                      Sorry Jim, don't know squat about the saw, or where to find parts.
                      There are a ton of Pehaka Saws within Google like you mentioned,
                      Any clue at all on a model(I know, dumb question, but had to ask).
                      Was trying to work backwards by finding a pic. of another just like it,
                      didn't happen.
                      This might just help you to get a little further though,
                      Google "Systran",(a language translation company), and download a free
                      trial of their software(it's like 30 days or so).
                      You can then translate anything to English, and English to anything,
                      which will really help IF you find parts or manuals only in Germany.
                      At nothing else, it's another option for you,hope you win.
                      K.

Comment

Working...
                      X