Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Northern Tools Band saw

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Northern Tools Band saw

I bgt one of those $350 band saws at NT the other day. I've prolly made 20 cuts and now it just stopped cutting. The saw is still doing it's thing but seems like the blade burned up or something. It spins and spins and no longer spits out any metal dust. Do these things need cutting oil while cutting?

There are a lot of potential answers to that question. I would imagine that you are using the blade that came with the saw? Generally its junk as new. Swap out the blade for something of far superior quality...Morse, Starrett, etc, in a bi-metal blade, do a search for blade break-in, follow the procedure and you should be okay.

Also, what material were you cutting/trying to cut?

Finally, do a search for topics relating to these small saws. It will be easier/cheaper for you to gain the knowledge from others' mistakes and work-arounds than discovering them all firsthand yourself.

Comment

Do it still got teefus?

Comment

You just wore the teeth off a cheap blade (maybe even a wood-cutting blade) is my guess.

Bi-Metal is the way to go, the extra cost is MORE than justified in service life. Works out a lot cheaper than carbon steel blades.

Comment

I get mine from Enco

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=553&PMCTLG=00

Although it looks like they do not carry Morse anymore

Comment

Feels like the teefees is about gone. Preciate the advice. I ordered a few bi-metal blades from Enco.

Yep, it was the blade that came with it. I had cut some 1/8 inch angle iron and 1/8 inch 1x2 square tubing. My last 2 cuts were on some flat stock that was thinner that 1/8, but not sure what it was.

I will to see about proper break in on blade.
            Last edited by curly; 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM.

Comment

My saw says the replacement blade is 64 1/2 ". If I by one 65 1/2" will it fit or are those numbers pretty much set in stone?

Thanks,
              Curly

Comment

Originally posted by curly View Post
                My saw says the replacement blade is 64 1/2 ". If I by one 65 1/2" will it fit or are those numbers pretty much set in stone?

Thanks,
                Curly
                Dunno- but Enco has the length you need, why not order those

Comment

64 1/2" is a standard length, you shouldn't have a problem getting them. I don't even know if they make a 65 1/2...

You might consider tooth pitch, a rule of thumb is three teeth on the material min.
                  For 1/8" you would want 24 teeth per inch, certainly not less than 16 tpi.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                    Dunno- but Enco has the length you need, why not order those
                    The only ones I could find on that site that were 64 1/2 were discontinued. How did you find it?

I guess 24 tpi would be the size for 1/8 inch material then huh. I guess that will be what I cut the most.

Are you saying if I cut 1/4 I need 12 tpi or 1/2 I should use 6 tpi?

Glad to know 64 1/2 in a normal size.

Comment

I think I got the very last bimetal 64 1/2" blade enco had a few weeks ago.

I tried to order three and they only had one.

I picked up some carbon blades in addition to the good one.

Our local tool store has some bimetal blades but they are very expensive (compared to enco)

I'd like to have a new cheap source for the bimetal if anyone knows.

-James

Comment

Originally posted by curly View Post
                        The only ones I could find on that site that were 64 1/2 were discontinued. How did you find it?

I guess 24 tpi would be the size for 1/8 inch material then huh. I guess that will be what I cut the most.

Are you saying if I cut 1/4 I need 12 tpi or 1/2 I should use 6 tpi?

Glad to know 64 1/2 in a normal size.
                        hmmm, interesting. I haven't ordered a blade in a while as I ordered 3 the last time.

I have the HF 4x6 bandsaw.

Comment

aametalmeister endorses

http://www.countrysaw.com/

worth a call to them.

Comment

band saw blades

home depot sells 64 1/2", 14 or 24 tpi. i think the cost is around $10.00. fyi.
                            cat

Comment

Enco item #s

240-4933
                              Teeth per Inch: 14 Type: Bi-Metal Material: Bi-Metal

240-4929
                              Teeth per Inch: 10-14 Type: Bi-Metal Material: Bi-Metal

I'm using the 10/14 Blade on 16g Tubing, 1/8" Angle & Flat stock, 3/16" tubing and plate.

Remember you want to put Angle in the vise like this /\ for straight cuts.
                              Flat stock should be Flat- not on end.

Works for this Hobby dood

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.