Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailors for sale

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailors for sale

OK, I just made two really ugly welds so I'm satisfied that I can make trailers to pull behind automobiles at high speeds carrying heavy loads down our interstate highways and byways.

Just funning with ya'll, I've noticed some folks get pretty ornery about them kinda things

But I got my electrical hooked up, and made a few test welds on some angle iron. Ugly as heck to say the lest, but it was fun and exciting to stick my very first pieces of steel together (and to my table in several spots ) . Now my 10 year old daughter wants to learn how to weld.

I'm gonna do some more testing on some of this 1/8 inch angle and on the 1x2square tube I bought, then I'm gonna weld up that little rolly cart to make my band saw mobile. Then I'll cut the pieces for my wood holder and when the ring roller and metak bender gets here I'll be able to stick them together.

Don't worry fellas, these things can't hurt nobody if a weld breaks.

I do have a question though. I have a cheapee self darkening helmet from Northern Tool. When it darkens I can't really see where I'm welding. Is it going to dark or is that just something you need to get used to or what?

Thanks for answering all of my questions thus far, I'm sure there will be many more to come.

does it have settings for shade when dark?

Comment

[QUOTE=curly;158680]OK, I just made two really ugly welds so I'm satisfied that I can make trailers to pull behind automobiles at high speeds carrying heavy loads down our interstate highways and byways.

Just funning with ya'll, I've noticed some folks get pretty ornery about them kinda things
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      You wouldn't be the first guy to try and do something stupid like that, glad to know you were just messing with us And yes, I'm one of them guys that get pretty ornery when stupid people put the general public at risk just cause they saw Paulie do it on Orange County Chopper.

Be smart, take the time to learn how to do things properly and ask a lot of questions, most of us a glad to lend a hand. When asking for advice be sure to post pictures with your description, it helps us to help you, and may also give us a laugh or two.

It's great to get the youngin's involved in your hobbies, untold amounts of quality time can be had in the shop with kids. I got a 7 year old nephew that can't get enough of helping me, and I can't get enough of spending time with him. He's already got more mechanical ability than his Dad, but that ain't say'in much either, If I told you his dad was as dumb as a box of rocks it would be an insult to the box of rocks. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeard's welding View Post
        does it have settings for shade when dark?

Yeah, there is a knob that goes from 9-13. I turned it to 9 and still can't seem to see the puddle that well.

Comment

Originally posted by curly View Post
          Yeah, there is a knob that goes from 9-13. I turned it to 9 and still can't seem to see the puddle that well.
          Are you inside? Could be too dark in the work area. Try it outside and iffin' ya can see better then throw some more light on the work area inside.

It do take a wee bit to get used to what to look for though.

Comment

Helmet

Step up to the Miller Elite. It is, by far, the best helmet. I own an Autoglass, Snap-On, and the Elite. There's no comparison to the Elite. You get what you pay for!!
            OK, I just made two really ugly welds so I'm satisfied that I can make trailers to pull behind automobiles at high speeds carrying heavy loads down our interstate highways and byways.

But I got my electrical hooked up, and made a few test welds on some angle iron. Ugly as heck to say the lest, but it was fun and exciting to stick my very first pieces of steel together (and to my table in several spots ) . Now my 10 year old daughter wants to learn how to weld.

I'm gonna do some more testing on some of this 1/8 inch angle and on the 1x2square tube I bought, then I'm gonna weld up that little rolly cart to make my band saw mobile. Then I'll cut the pieces for my wood holder and when the ring roller and metak bender gets here I'll be able to stick them together.

Don't worry fellas, these things can't hurt nobody if a weld breaks.

I do have a question though. I have a cheapee self darkening helmet from Northern Tool. When it darkens I can't really see where I'm welding. Is it going to dark or is that just something you need to get used to or what?

Thanks for answering all of my questions thus far, I'm sure there will be many more to come.

Comment

Tilt the helmet back and forth while it is darkened and you will see that there is a sweet spot. It may require adjusting the head strap so you look through the sweet spot.

Comment

Back glare - or that's what I call it. Light coming in from the back of the hood causes glare on the inside of the AD lens making it difficult to see. Almost threw mine away until I figured it out as a result of another post here. Throw a shop towel over the back to see if it helps or not.

Comment

Sometimes you have your gun in the way. One of the first questions i ask when i see welds not in the joint is CAN YOU SEE THE PUDDLE?? You would be surprised how many people cant see the joint because of their body position.

Comment

Originally posted by starweld View Post
                    Sometimes you have your gun in the way. One of the first questions i ask when i see welds not in the joint is CAN YOU SEE THE PUDDLE?? You would be surprised how many people cant see the joint because of their body position.
                    Yeah, there have been more that one time when I pushed the helmet up and I was totally off of the joint.

I know that a lot of it is just getting used to what you are looking at. One thing for sure, all of those Miller youtube videos I watched it's a whole lot more apparent where the puddle is and where the joint is...of course those videos aren't being seen through the helmet either. I'll try all of these suggestions and see if that helps.
                    Last edited by curly; 09-18-2008, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceman73 View Post
                      Step up to the Miller Elite. It is, by far, the best helmet. I own an Autoglass, Snap-On, and the Elite. There's no comparison to the Elite. You get what you pay for!!
                      I just bgt the elite online. Can't wait til it gets here.

Just used it to weld and then changed it to grind mode and did some grinding. Yeah, it's much better than the TSC $49 job.
                      Last edited by curly; 08-04-2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.