Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

bobcat 225 and tig alum

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobcat 225 and tig alum

need to tig an aluminum oxygen cylinder base back on to cylinder what setting to use with weldcraft tig torch and argon gas.i know i have to scratch start on a piece of copper, it is 3/16 thick aluminum. machine is bobcat 225NT

you need a high-frequency arc starter and stabilizer
    like the miller HD-251 to weld aluminum with the bobcat
    they run around $1000.00

Comment

Why copper?

Comment

I hope you're only making something decorative. There's NO welding allowed on any high pressure cylinder. Not even during manufacturing.

Comment

conversion to cold smoker

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
          I hope you're only making something decorative. There's NO welding allowed on any high pressure cylinder. Not even during manufacturing.
          it is to be part of a cold smoker no pressure

Comment

why copper

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
            Why copper?
            it supposedly dont eat the tungsten

Comment

Thats a new one for me.I think you were misinformed.However you will need high frequency a/c in order to tig aluminum.

Comment

alum welding

You can use Heilum to weld alum But it's not as clean.Rent a bottle for a month will it be cheaper.

Comment

You can DC tig aluminum......why wouldn't it work with the Bobcat?
                  Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                  Thats a new one for me.I think you were misinformed.However you will need high frequency a/c in order to tig aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredIW View Post
                    it supposedly dont eat the tungsten
                    I do not doubt one bit that there is a place for the copper thing...I have heard it as well but it is not used for aluminum. Trust me I did about 10 years on a 225NT Bobcat with an old Linde Freekbox and a #26V torch with a valve and pure argon. That is the minimum you will get by with unless you can score lab grade helium for using DC EN.
                    You should just find someone with a spoolgun or hire a pro to tig it for just welding one item.
                    Bring your stuff and come on down to my shop and I'll do 'er for free
                    I like to shoot the bull with old welders

Comment

The copper sheet was used for starting an arc in DC Tig welding. Does not contaminate the tungsten as even steel will. Generally used on machines without a lift-arc feature.

As has been mentioned, Hi Freq is required for AC Tig welding. Without it (except for the inverters) the arc will extinguish as it passes thru 0 when switching from DC+ to DC-.

Comment

ALum

I welded it with a XMT 304 at work with Helium.We didn't have a hight Feak.Which I do at my shop.I got a Syncrowave 250 DX with a watercooled rig.Miller 252,Miller 140 and 2 other machines/ 675 plasma.Fixing to get Trailblazer 302.My coworker is the one who shown me You could use helium.I tried it I really didn't like the way it welded it wasn't as clean like my new Syncrowave 250 DX LOL

Comment

I hope after 7 months he figgured it out.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.