Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

drill press recommendations

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill press recommendations

Looking to pick up a decent drill press without breaking the bank. Budget is
    4-600. Average use is 1" holes in 11ga tubing, and up to 3/4" holes in 1/2" steel. Would like to find something locally in the Dallas area. Any input is greatly appreciated. Floor mount would be my preference

Thanks

Scott

i looked all around at the stores and on line
    the best deal was at home depot .com
    a jet jdp-15mf it was $429.00 and free shipping
    it works great

Comment

Made in China?

You could get one from harbor freight for less than half that. The Jet's I've seen lately look just like the harbor freight model. I think they are all made in China.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
        You could get one from harbor freight for less than half that. The Jet's I've seen lately look just like the harbor freight model. I think they are all made in China.
        True- but there are some Chinese tool brands better than others- Jet being one of them

Comment

I have a 14" (I believe) Delta drill press that I bgt for woodworking. As long as I use metal bits it's fine for whatever it'll drill, right?
          Last edited by curly; 09-14-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            True- but there are some Chinese tool brands better than others- Jet being one of them
            In that case, buy from Grizzly. I doubt you'll find a difference other than the paint and the price. Quality control is different from one importer to the next, but I believe Grizzly holds about the same or better standards than Jet. Otherwise, not much difference between any of the Asian drill presses. Taiwanese would be better than ChiCom, if you can find the country of origin.

As far as Jet quality goes, as a Jet owner I've never noted their product as being one that strived for quality much past the flashy paint job. Forget white and go green and enjoy the extra cash and better customer support.

Finally, drill presses are on the low end of product development and innovation. Not hard to find a decent model...even from Harbor Freight.

Comment

Originally posted by curly View Post
              I have 1 14" (I believe) Delta drill press that I bgt for woodworking. As long as I use metal bits it's fine for whatever it'll drill, right?
              Curly,
              Sure it will be fine. Just realize that most of the cheaper drill presses...okay, ALL of the cheap drill presses...run at too high a speed for most metal drilling with larger bits. Keep the cutting oil running freely.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                Curly,
                Sure it will be fine. Just realize that most of the cheaper drill presses...okay, ALL of the cheap drill presses...run at too high a speed for most metal drilling with larger bits. Keep the cutting oil running freely.

Thanks, now is cutting oil different than any other oil, or can I use anything?

Comment

Depending upon how much drilling you actually anticipate doing in the future, you can get by with regular oil, but it will be messier during clean-up and not provide as much benefit when doing the actual drilling. Better than burning a drill though, by any means. Try for some water-soluble cutting fluid/oil and your clean-up chores should be shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                    In that case, buy from Grizzly.
                    Good to know- deciding between the Grizzly or Jet Swivel head bandsaw.

Comment

I agree about the speeds, way too fast for most metal work. I like to look at the pulley system to see if its common or some proprietary crap. Tubings I might use a carbide holesaw?

Comment

Good to know- deciding between the Grizzly or Jet Swivel head bandsaw.
                        Eddie, there are insignificant differences between the Grizzly and Jet products. Usually they will be seperated by a bell or whistle or two. If you look into the products closely you'll usually find that they both offer jimcracks to each model that the other doesn't have. So, basically, it comes down to which set of bell and whistles and color scheme you prefer. With that said, the Grizzly model is usually significantly cheaper and they subsidize their shipping to a greater extent...though Jet will often offer free shipping on some of their product line.

Edit: Ed, after looking at Kevin's Ellis you can even consider a Jet or a Grizzly swivel head bandsaw? There ought to be a slew of L.A. Chopper wannabees out there going under and selling their equipment on Craigslist. Bought my Ellis 3000 for $1500 and you could almost put Kevin's Ellis on its cutting table. I've owned a higher end Grizzly bandsaw prior to the Ellis and let me say that they aren't built as well by a whole long stretch. To be fair, the Grizzly was a metal cutting demon, but not in the same league as an Ellis.
                        Last edited by WyoRoy; 09-15-2008, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I know Roy but space is limited.

Comment

I know Roy but space is limited.
                            Eddie,
                            Its about time the boys at Screaming Broc had a machine shop for repairs...

Comment

I don't know what you guys think about RIGID tools, they seem to have a nice drill press that is reasonably priced.

Anyone have one and if so are they any good for $299?

The best part of the RIGID brand is that they are guaranteed for life. This includes the batteries on the cordless tools.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.