Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tools do I need for this?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Ouch- not be brudda- I would have just purchased a Roller-

I picked up this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheet-Metal-Pede...QQcmdZViewItem
    OK, thanks for keeping me from buying a prolly worthless tool. I called Harbor freight and removed the inter planetary ring roller from the order (the name sounded so cool) I'll get the cheapee Ebay thing.

Curly

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
      Hi Curly,

From where I'm standing, you need a welder, a cutting tool, and perhaps your "would"working equipment.

The real question is if you want to build the rack EXACTLY as shown, or a just a close facsimile thereof. I would just work the design around all the hard bends shown in the frame and base so you don't need a bender for those details, unless it's the specific look of the picture you're after.
      For the inverted arches, 1/8" x 1.5" flat bar stock should just bend to fit without having to roll anything. The arch will have spring however, so you'd have to weld something between the posts to bridge the gap. Otherwise, just cut a plywood radius template smaller than the radius you're looking for (to allow for springback)and pull that bar around it. You'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

T'aint no big deal.

That being said, the $99 harbor freight universal bender and the cheapo ebay ring roller will open up many doors for your future projects. IMHO, these are truly a lot of bang for the buck.

Have fun!
      Yeah, I'm not gonna be able to buy a whole lotta expensive tools, but I do want to be able to make some basic bends and scrolls and things. And no, it don't need to be exactly as shown, that will just be my guide. I'm gonna make it to fit my area...and maybe embellish or unembellish as I see the need or desire. Preciate the input.

Oh yeah, any ideas on how to make (or what to buy) the little hooks?

I bgt a Northern tool band saw that I used to cut about 10 short pieces of angle iron to do some test welds. But since my electricty wont be right til Monday I may cut the pieces for the band saw roller cart I want to make...at least have that outta the way.

I was bushhog reclaiming some overgrown land (we've only been here a few years) and found a 20 ft I beam that must be a 12 inch I beam. Then I found about a 15 ft 7-8 inch I beam and a 12 ft round steel pipe. How useful are these things that have set on the grown rusting for 20 to who knows how many years. They are still plenty heavy so there seems to be plenty of good steel there. They weigh more that the $500 worth of steel I just brought home the other day.
      Last edited by curly; 09-13-2008, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curly View Post

Oh yeah, any ideas on how to make (or what to buy) the little hooks?
        I would make the little hooks from 1/8" x 1/2" flat, twist the little straight end in the vise then bend the loop in your new HF bender...Bob

Comment

bender

I worked in an ornamental shop doing this type of work. All thats needed to get those bends is a nice bender with adjustable rollers. You can pick one up cheap and it will do all sorts of bending jobs. Princess Auto sells them for about 139 cdn. www.princessauto.com not sure if they have US locations but they do ship. I also found one for $100 pictured here:
          http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetai...od=benchbender
          I have a homemade one that works pretty well, sorry no pics though
          as for the really round curves, heating and bending around a piece of pipe does a nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
            I would make the little hooks from 1/8" x 1/2" flat, twist the little straight end in the vise then bend the loop in your new HF bender...Bob
            Curly,

Like Bob says- use the HF Bender- it will bend up the Hooks no problem.

I have The SO bender
            E-bay Roller- they are local, saved on shipping
            and the HF-Interplanetary Roller it pretty much collects dust.

Comment

Ouch- not me brudda- I would have just purchased a Roller-

I picked up this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sheet-Metal-Pede...QQcmdZViewItem
              Thank you LOUD GREEN VEGATABLE. I just ordered one.

Comment

Originally posted by KEENAVV View Post
                Thank you LOUD GREEN VEGATABLE. I just ordered one.
                Me too . They turned down my $79 best offer bid, but took took my $95 best offer bid. Saved $14, woo-hoo.
                Last edited by curly; 09-14-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Anybody want to make a guess what size the bar is on that wood holder (1st post)?

Comment

Anybody want to make a guess what size the bar is on that wood holder (1st post)?

Feet= 3/16"
                    Up Rights= 3/8"
                    Arch= 3/16"

Comment

Feet= 3/16"
                      Up Rights= 3/8"
                      Arch= 3/16"
                      Crocky, I bgt 1/8 for the whole thing. Guess I can use 1/8 where the 3/16 is and buy some 3/8 for the other. It is all 1 inch bar though right?

Thanks,
                      Curly

Comment

Crocky, I bgt 1/8 for the whole thing. Guess I can use 1/8 where the 3/16 is and buy some 3/8 for the other. It is all 1 inch bar though right?

Thanks,
                        Curly
                        Looks more like 2" or 1-1/2"

I figger the Rod used for the Tools is 1/2" could be 5/8"

Comment

I say it's all 1" wide except for the tool hangers.

Nice little rack/set. I might have to make one of those...
                          Last edited by Marcel Bauer; 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Looks more like 2" or 1-1/2"

I figger the Rod used for the Tools is 1/2" could be 5/8"
                            We're gonna use our old tools. But they won't hang like that, I'll have to devise a different hanging method. But it is definately gonna clean up our hearth area. Everytime I walk by there I cringe at the mess.

I finished my rollie cart thing for the bandsaw. Man, I can't weld worth a diddly, but it sure is fun melting that stuff together, I wish I woulda started long time ago.

Comment

We're gonna use our old tools. But they won't hang like that, I'll have to devise a different hanging method. But it is definately gonna clean up our hearth area. Everytime I walk by there I cringe at the mess.

I finished my rollie cart thing for the bandsaw. Man, I can't weld worth a diddly, but it sure is fun melting that stuff together, I wish I woulda started long time ago.
                              Not saying ya gotta use 1/2"- just using the Tools as reference for guessing the Flat stock width.

1" seems rather narrow
                              A business card is 2"x3.5"

1/8" Flat stock is not very stiff, it will start to bow under its own weight at about 2 feet but anyhoo you can always just use more of it

Probably won't look anything like what ya the thought in the beginning but that is part of the fun and value of purchasing the machine - Now you can build it how ever you want.

Beer seems to taste better at the end of the day too.

Comment

Not saying ya gotta use 1/2"- just using the Tools as reference for guessing the Flat stock width.

1" seems rather narrow
                                A business card is 2"x3.5"

1/8" Flat stock is not very stiff, it will start to bow under its own weight at about 2 feet but anyhoo you can always just use more of it

Probably won't look anything like what ya the thought in the beginning but that is part of the fun and value of purchasing the machine - Now you can build it how ever you want.

Beer seems to taste better at the end of the day too.

I didn't see any 3/16 or 3/8 at the place I bgt the steel. It may have been there, but I was looking at 1/8 and 1/4. The 1/4" looked huge, I was wondering if I could even bend it with the bender that I have yet to receive, so I went for the 1/8". But I think I'm gonna just go back and get the 3/16" and 3/8" for all of it. I'm sure I'll use that 1/8" for something else.

You're right, it prolly won't look exactly like that or exactly like I was even thinking, but it will be exactly the size I want, which is a huge treat. I still can't believe that dude is selling for $260

I got a letter from the IRS yesterday that said I'm gettin $1500 back as an economic stimulus payment...and I was duely stimulated That's what I paid for the welder, so it's like the welder was free. I'm thinking, hmmmm, plasma cutter

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.