Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

tig

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tig

Hi, I`ve got a question. I have a Miller thunderbolt AC/DC. Can I tig with it and what do I need to do it? Torch,Gas???? And does it work? I would like to learn to tig then maybe buy a dedicated machine if I see that I will use it. Also what torch would be good for this application thanks.

Does the thunderbolt have DC-?

You need argon, a dry rig and a few other things. Run your argon to your dry rig, connect your dry rig to your thunderbolt. Set your machine to DC- and turn the amps down a bit. I know this is rough but it gives you a general idea.

Comment

Yes it can be done, but it is rough. I did it with mine. Your torch will need a gas valve. All you need is the torch, argon and the Tbolt. Scratch start is all you have and DC only unless you rig in a Hi Freq unit somehow. It will let you get a little practice, though.....although you would learn more with a real TIG unit. I was learning more with my TB than the Tbolt. Well, I did almost perfect tungsten prep with the Tbolt. You learn how to contaminate them very well with the Tbolt.

Comment

That does sound pretty rough.

Comment

THanks guys, I maybe better to wait, me wants an engine drive anyways. I would be money ahead.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.