Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mailbox

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox

Attached are photos of a custom mailbox I did for a residence a while back.
    That's 1/2" stainless steel.
    A smaller project, but one of my favourites nonetheless.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

The clean look! Sweet!!!

Comment

How's your back doing Chis?

Comment

Glad to see a fellow San Diegan is producing quality work, no less than metal sculpture IMHO. How long ago and how does the mail door/slot open?

Comment

That is art, nice work.

Comment

Nice work Chris, as always.

I want to see the grimlins try wacking that one with a baseball bat.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
              Nice work Chris, as always.

I want to see the grimlins try wacking that one with a baseball bat.
              Times have changed- they don't use Bats- they just take the entire SS mailbox and sell it for scrap

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                Times have changed- they don't use Bats- they just take the entire SS mailbox and sell it for scrap
                Buck-a-pound.
                Do the math.

I did this project before prices really, really shot up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmaxer View Post
                  Glad to see a fellow San Diegan is producing quality work, no less than metal sculpture IMHO. How long ago and how does the mail door/slot open?
                  Thanks to all for the kind words. Luckily, I didn't have to roll any rings for this project.

I did this mailbox about... (insert lack of memory/brain-damaged expression here) ... four or five years ago. It was for a residence up in Beverly... Hills, that is. Swimming pools... movie staahs...

On the front, you can see a small stainless pull for the carbon fibre door that is hinged on the right side. It has a magnetic catch and opens outward. Water tight.

Heavy metal.

A good portion of my work these days is straight-up fab work with a little of my own twist. When I'm lucky, I get to do a project like this that is 100% my own design without any compromise. I wish they could all be this way.
                  Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 09-06-2008, 05:20 PM. Reason: why not

Comment

Chris,

Were the numbers laser engraved or were they applied to the surface?

Looking good.

Good to hear our movie stars are spreading the wealth with us "little guys".

Speaking of SS pricing. Buddy of mine had three sheets of 3/8" 316 (8'x20') delivered the other day for a vat he's making for a local paper mill. $10,000 per sheet. Helping them roll that was quite an experience. Raymond, the owner wouldn't tell me how much he was charging for the job.

His dad, who used to own Atlantic Steel in Richmond, and I were really close. I used to do a lot of consulting for them. Had ongoing maintenance contracts with Burlington, Dan River Mills, etc. Quite a money maker. When they'd shut down, Ray would throw a couple of hundred people in the plant and do a total refurb. They weren't too concerned with the price, just could he get them back on line when vacations were over. Know one job was a little over 8 Mil.

Anyway, keep up the great work and keep posting those photos. Gives us hacks something to aspire to.

Comment

Nice Work As Always , I Like Your Style , I Am Going In That Direction , Doing Custom Work , But For Now I Practice By Doing Stuff For Me , Anyway Keep The Pictures Coming .

Bobby

Comment

Nice Work

Great Job!

Comment

Thanks all.

Jay, the numbers were applied to the surface. Nothing too fancy.

KZEN, hone your style and technique on your own stuff then bust butt and get your work out there. YOU GOTTA GET YOUR WORK OUT THERE for people to see. Work begets work.

I'll look forward to more pics from you as well.

Comment

Wow that is really cool. I really like the design of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.