Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a trailer....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a trailer....

I'm putting together a trailer for my buddies airboat, and I have a question or two about tandem axles.

I need to know how far apart to set the spring hangers. I've done a couple of single axels before, but the tandem has me stumped. Eye-to-eye on the springs is 25 3/16", and eye-to-eye on the tandem coupler is 5 3/4".

Also is it "better" to have the springs set over the axle, or under? I guess the better question would be what are pro's and con's of either?

Thanks in advance for any help on this one. I know there are a couple of trailer guys on here, and some of the previous posts have helped a ton already on this project.

Later,
    Kev

The big difference of over or under slung is the trailer height. Over slung will be higher with a small fender and under slung will be lower with a tall fender. Just put the side shakles for the rocker about a 60 degree angle. I will find you a picture..Bob

Look here: http://www.abctrailerparts.com
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 09-03-2008, 10:02 PM.

Comment

You need to find the center point of where you will be placing the axle and mount your equalizer hanger there, then simply measure 30 1/2" forward for your front spring hanger and 30 1/2" rearward for the rear hanger.

Axle placement is generally suggested at the 60% rearward position for a 15% tongue weight, but the center of gravity will be different with the motor on an airboat hanging behind the axles, you may have to play around a bit to find your preferred location to ride correctly. If you have a problem getting the proper axle location let me know and I'll tell you how to do it with a bath scale.

As Bob has already stated the only real difference in the springs being over or under the axle is about 4 1/2" height difference. In your case I would think you would be better off with the axle above to keep the trailer lower for easier loading and unloading. Dave
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys!

Later,
        Kev

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.