Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building the famous table

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the famous table

Well I used to weld back in high school and I was good at.... long time ago, then I saw someone at work welding with a MIG (I used the stick back in high school), well he let me weld a piece of scrap metal and first I was feeling strange using only one hand to do the job but anyway after a few tries I was rock n rolling. I'm building a small table and I find out is not easy to find a steel supply... well Lowes and Home Depot sales that but kind of expensive I think, for example 1/8" x 1" x 1" is about $1.90, not sure how much I will save if I find a supplier since I will not buy too much steel. Anywat I will take some pictures of the table sson I'm done.

You might try a local welding shop. Sometimes a larger one will stock steel for sale to home users. I sometimes buy steel from such a local shop in my area.

Comment

Also check your local scrap or salvage yard.. often they will have a piece that will work just fine, even though its not new.

Comment

I saw some nice framing from a desk kind of thing in the scrap yard the other day, would have been perfect for home bench with slight modification. One of the skills a home/hobby type should develop is the art of salvage, saves a lot of money and work.

Comment

Finish the table, the picture is kind of dark, I used my phone to take the picture
          Attached Files

Comment

looks like a nice, functional, table

having the fire extinguisher close by is a good idea.
            my only comment might be that mounting it so that it
            is on the 'outside' of the table might mean that you'll bang
            into it a bunch as you walk around the table, drag cables, and
            so on -- possibly knocking it out of the cradle -- after all,
            they are made to make it easy to remove the extinguisher :-)

good job
            frank

Comment

metal supply

There's gotta be a metal supply store in your area. Here in San Diego, they're like 7/11's. Check your phone book and Home Depot metal is way overpriced!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lanceman73 View Post
                There's gotta be a metal supply store in your area. Here in San Diego, they're like 7/11's. Check your phone book and Home Depot metal is way overpriced!!!
                I found a steel supplier, about 40 miles from me but I had a job (computer stuff) around that area and my brother-in-law told me to stop there, 2 plates of 1/4" (about 2'x2') cut for me was $48.

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
                  looks like a nice, functional, table

having the fire extinguisher close by is a good idea.
                  my only comment might be that mounting it so that it
                  is on the 'outside' of the table might mean that you'll bang
                  into it a bunch as you walk around the table, drag cables, and
                  so on -- possibly knocking it out of the cradle -- after all,
                  they are made to make it easy to remove the extinguisher :-)

good job
                  frank
                  I couldn't decide if should be inside or outside but then I decided to keep outside. I don't move the table with the cables hanging around. Now I have the table done I have no idea what I should do

Comment

There are few retailers online, you can order it up and have it delivered to your door in a day or two. Prices are reasonable as well.

Comment

Are you using 1/8" wall 1" square tubing? If so, expect to pay about $2.50 a foot for it at a reasonable steel dealer. I'd go with 1/16" thick 1" square tube. It's around $1.25-$1.50 per foot at a good dealer. You may have to deal with a minimum order, though. Keep in mind that steel is a volatile commodity like gasoline. Go a hundred miles and you may see a 20% price difference.

Expect to pay 4 or more times the dealer cost when you buy steel "by the piece" at the box stores.

Also, find out where your nearest scrap yard is and ask them if they sell usable scrap. It's $0.20 per lb here.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.