Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma screen stands

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you're more than 10' away.

I was just curious. There's nothing wrong with leaving the edge there.

Comment

That's what I keep telling myself.

I wish I would have done the rings in one piece so the seam would have been in the back. I buffed them out pretty darn well, but... well, you know.

I gotta let it go, though, and move on. They're going in a HUGE room and there will be these HUGE screens on them, so nobody will be looking at the bases anyways. As you know, when something's in your shop, you put it under the microscope.

Thanks for the replies.

The next jobs will be a bit more creative. Looks like some stainless, teak, and glass.

Comment

I wasn't talking about the vertical seams, I was wondering about the horizontal one where the plate meets the "skirt."

I did a wheel replacement stand for a guys show car where I made the mistake of cutting and welding a piece of flat stock rather than just getting a piece of plate and cutting it out as one unit. The time it took to hide the seam was more than it would've cost for the plate over the bar stock. He ended up mudding that to blend where the weld was (surface texture was off between the HRS and where I ground it), so I was wondering if your final presentation would also have that seam eliminated. That's all...

He ordered up another one for a buddy and I already have the plate for that one. Live and learn.

Comment

Job look good man, the kicker being we all seem to think of a better way to do things after we've done them.

Fire your designer for that one though for the simple fact that I think he should have had you make the skirt about an 1" shy of the ground, so the end user could adjust the levelers as it sits. But then again it could be perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by SinGear View Post
            Fire your designer for that one though for the simple fact that I think he should have had you make the skirt about an 1" shy of the ground, so the end user could adjust the levelers as it sits. But then again it could be perspective.
            That's just the beginning with "designers." I'm tired of fighting the fight, so I just let them work it out. They always want things to "float" with no visible hardware. Magic. The installers will have a blast with this one. This is one of the reasons I don't do installations much anymore.

It gets real fun when they all want things to be on locking casters, but they don't want the castors to be visible (e.g. accessible).

Thanks for looking.
            Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Oh I hear ya on that one, I'm an Millwork engineer by trade and we deal with that BS all the time.

Let me tell you what you need then you can suggest what you want

Comment

Originally posted by SinGear View Post
                Job look good man, the kicker being we all seem to think of a better way to do things after we've done them.
                It's how man has improved on everything he's ever built. It's ended up with the International Space Station and rovers on Mars. Is that cool or what??

Chris:
                Thanks for sharing your agitation with your 'misconceptions'. I'm just a hobby guy, if I need a widget, I build it. First I 'engineer the cwap out of it'. Then, when I step back to look at the finished project; I wonder what the h*ll I was thinking. Everything in my world is a protype; room for improvement. But I only needed ONE.

It's nice to know, that even the 'shop guys', aren't perfect in 'their own eyes'.

Thanks for the pics, triggers the imagination.

Craig

Comment

Glad it's over

Making these things was an OK job, but I'm really glad they're out of my chop and I can move on to something with some more style.

Next up is a stainless and teak gate, a glass windscreen, and a corten privacy screen. This one will be all my own design, so I get call it how I see it.

Gotta eat.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Chris - Great job. Looks factory made. BTW - any idea what one weighs? Your work has given me some ideas for a museum display.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.