new "old" addition to my tool addiction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new "old" addition to my tool addiction

I found an old Miller Bluestar series 1 engine drive on Craigs list today. The guy I got it from is a retired machinist and has a virtual museum in his back yard and sheds, I have never seen so many steam engines in one place before. He's currently building a steam engine powered saw mill. He's also got a 1942 Diamond REO 2 1/2 ton flatbed truck sitting back there that I would love to get my grubby little hands on as well.

Anyways, I did a quick search of the serial number and found that it is a 1977 model with a 16 h.p. Kohler motor. For $200.00 I couldn't pass it up.

Dragged it home, stuck a battery in it and some fuel, hit the switch and starter button and it fired right up. I will have to get a new solenoid for the throttle kick down, I can kick it down by hand but won't do it automatically as it should. I haven't tried to weld with it yet as I have to take the leads from my Bobcat to try it out.

What's your opinion? Think I did good on this one?
    Attached Files
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Hard to beat a running machine for 200$

Comment

I sure agree with the price. Those old kohlers were used on a lot of grain loaders & were very dependable. Is a fresh coat of Miller blue going to be in the restoration?
      252 Miller Mig
      180 Synchrowave
      R - 45 Milling Machine
      Kingston 1100 Lathe
      Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Talked to the original owner a short time ago and was told that he bought it new about 30 years ago and that he also had found a new spare fuel pump for it. He said it was last started about 2 years ago and has low hours for it's age, maybe a 100 or 2. He did tell me everything worked fine on its last use except for the idle solenoid.

I'll hook up a set of leads to it in the morning and if all goes well I will try and find a new set of decals for it and give it a shiny new coat of Miller Blue as well as make a new cart for it. I think it is worth doing a restoration on and will make me a nice little back up welder. Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

Pretty good find!!!
          Do you plan to restore it to original condition?
          I really like the cart too. I wonder if that was a Miller accessory or a home made addition?

I guess if I waited another minute before posting, my question would have been answered.
          Last edited by burninbriar; 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM.
          To all who contribute to this board.
          My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
          Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
          Miller Syncrowave 250
          Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
            Pretty good find!!!
            Do you plan to restore it to original condition?
            I really like the cart too. I wonder if that was a Miller accessory or a home made addition?
            I guess we posted at the same time.

The cart was home made.

Comment

That's a nice find...Bob
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Not only does it start up and run, the electrical outlet works as it should and I ran a few beads with it this afternoon. I'm going to start tearing it down so I get back to looking good again.

Comment

I look forward to seeing the before and after shots.
                  To all who contribute to this board.
                  My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                  Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                  Miller Syncrowave 250
                  Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Great Find

Wow!

Great find.
                    sigpic

Miller 140 w A/S
                    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
                    Dewalt Chop Saw
                    Smith O/A Torch
                    Ryobi, HF grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classic

Comment

Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
                      I found an old Miller Bluestar series 1 engine drive on Craigs list today. The guy I got it from is a retired machinist and has a virtual museum in his back yard and sheds, I have never seen so many steam engines in one place before. He's currently building a steam engine powered saw mill. He's also got a 1942 Diamond REO 2 1/2 ton flatbed truck sitting back there that I would love to get my grubby little hands on as well.

Anyways, I did a quick search of the serial number and found that it is a 1977 model with a 16 h.p. Kohler motor. For $200.00 I couldn't pass it up.

Dragged it home, stuck a battery in it and some fuel, hit the switch and starter button and it fired right up. I will have to get a new solenoid for the throttle kick down, I can kick it down by hand but won't do it automatically as it should. I haven't tried to weld with it yet as I have to take the leads from my Bobcat to try it out.

What's your opinion? Think I did good on this one?
                      I have what looks like the same engine on a Lincoln 125. Mine is a rope start (wind the rope around the pulley and PULL!). I've never seen a engine so easy to start. My Lincoln could use paint, but probably won't get it. My machine doesn't have a idle solenoid, I just have a two place throttle knob, idle and weld.

I don't use it a lot, but it sure can be handy away from the shop. I found mine in a garage sale, and I'm happy to have it. All my other machines are Miller.

John

Comment

Took the side panels off of it today and found a broken wire but nothing else out of the ordinary. I'll be getting a new set of brushes for it as they are worn about half way or better. A little bit of clean up on the inside, some Emory cloth on the contacts and some Mud Dauber evictions should get her back in pretty good shape. Idle solenoid should be here Wed. or Thurs. of next week.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X