Homemade press brake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade press brake

Here's a few pics. I make among other things off-road bumpers.

Previous method of making bumpers included cutting every plate and welding the seams. Now I can bend at least some of the joints, making things easier on me, and the bumpers smoother.

The design is basically the same as the Northern Tools version, and there are people on ebay who make the same design.

I had the die springs and some of the steel, I think I'm out less than $40 for the whole thing.

Also pictured is a piece of 3/16" plate bent up.

Nice job...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Homemade Press Brake

Looks good and evidently plenty functional.

Is the center a piece of heavy angle to form the bend? Reason I ask is I cut a 1 inch piece of metal to a point (3/16" flat at the point) and plan to make a brake for my 20 ton press. If you have a different/better approach I would be interested before I finish.

Appears Nothern uses a piece of angle iron. Am I reading this wrong?

thanks,
      Geezer
      Geezer
      Miller 175
      Power MIG 255c
      Ranger 8
      1974 Wisconsin 5K AC Only (Cherry)
      Spool Gun
      185 TIG
      Victor/Harris O/A

Comment

I know some people use heavy angle.

My upper die is a piece of 1/2" thick crs with an edge gound on it. Mine also has a land or flat on the edge.

I like this way because I can regrind at anytime as it wears. Angle will eventually need to be replaced.

Also, with angle, the bend will stop at 90 degrees, and you need to go a bit more with some materials to get that full 90 to account for springback.

-James

Comment

Thanks James, my upper die is a piece of 1 inch just because thats what I had.

I am still not quite understanding what you used for a lower die. That was where I planned to use angle.

Do you just have two horizontal pieces welded to the bottom frame with a space in the middle as a bottom die? If so what are their demisions? sorry, the penny has not dropped yet.
          Last edited by Geezer; 08-25-2008, 06:33 AM. Reason: clarify content
          Geezer
          Miller 175
          Power MIG 255c
          Ranger 8
          Spool Gun
          185 TIG
          Victor/Harris O/A

Comment

I was experimenting with the lower die.

I have two pieces of 3x4 square stock welded...maybe an 1 1/2" apart, to the plate. Then I have two pieces of 1/2" round stock that fits inside of that. I used tig rod to tacked on the ends to keep them against the square.

This is removable if I need to replace them or move to a different shape or size.

I posted the above pic over at the HSM site, and there is a link someone posted to the appropriate dimensions for such work. I'll find the link soon.

I cna take pics if the above is a poor explanation.

Thanks,

James

Edit: Link

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=30387
            Last edited by jamscal; 08-25-2008, 07:56 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

may I send you a PM
              Geezer
              Miller 175
              Power MIG 255c
              Ranger 8
              Spool Gun
              185 TIG
              Victor/Harris O/A

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                may I send you a PM
                Sure, and I'll try to get some more detailed pics on here later.

-James

Comment

PM sent last night
                  Geezer
                  Miller 175
                  Power MIG 255c
                  Ranger 8
                  Spool Gun
                  185 TIG
                  Victor/Harris O/A

Comment

Here is a more detailed pic.

I have the plate, and two 3/4" bars welded to it approx 2" apart.

Then I have two 1/2" pieces of round stock I stuck in between there to get the proper opening.

I did this because this was an experiment and I knew I could change out the round for a smaller or larger diameter if necessary, and also, replace if they wear out.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but so far this has worked for me.

And after I posted this, I noticed two (I think) homemade press brakes in the projects section of this site.

-James

Comment

I like that and should make one.

Comment

Looks good! I made a similar one using heavy angle, the downside I have found with angle is that the inside corner is rounded so it's hard to get a crisp bend on anything over 3/16
                        Freelance Fabber
                        Mobile>
                        '01 Dodge 1ton w/deck
                        07 Miller Trailblazer 302g
                        Miller HF251-d
                        3hp air compressor
                        Spectrum 275 Extreme
                        Shop>
                        Miller Dynasty 300sd
                        Lincoln Migpak 180

Comment

Pretty cool, James.

I also have plans to make press brake when time allows. I have a plan worked out, just need another window of opportunity.
                          Maxstar 200DX
                          Maxstar 300DX
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Passport
                          Spectrum 701
                          LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Nice job. Looks really functional.

Originally posted by jamscal View Post
                            Here's a few pics. I make among other things off-road bumpers.

Previous method of making bumpers included cutting every plate and welding the seams. Now I can bend at least some of the joints, making things easier on me, and the bumpers smoother.

The design is basically the same as the Northern Tools version, and there are people on ebay who make the same design.

I had the die springs and some of the steel, I think I'm out less than $40 for the whole thing.

Also pictured is a piece of 3/16" plate bent up.

Proud owner of a MM180!

Comment

I submitted one for the welding challenge. Take a look in the Shop portion of the Welding Projects gallery. Materials list and dimensions are posted there. Saved me hours of work on some handles I needed to make. Well worth the hour it took to put together.
                              http://www.millerwelds.com/interests...ct/2779494898/

I have since made a second press bar with 1/2" round bar for the edge to create a more gentle radius where desired. Swaps out easily by removing the nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X