Homemade press brake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What actually operates the down motion?

Can one of these be used with a hydraulic car jack? I'm very new with metal, but know that something like this would be kinda essential...but can't figure out how the pressure is applied I know, I got a long ways to go
    Millermatic 212
    1998 Heritage Springer
    Kioti DK55

Comment

Originally posted by curly View Post
      Can one of these be used with a hydraulic car jack? I'm very new with metal, but know that something like this would be kinda essential...but can't figure out how the pressure is applied I know, I got a long ways to go
      shopoutfitters.com at one time offered one using a bottle jack. They used a 20t and used a pair of return springs to return the cylinder. Looks like they upscaled their unit and don't offer it anymore.

Comment

For those who would prefer a dedicated press brake instead of a press and a brake.

Not my work - pulled down off this site or the Hobart site - but from my files.

I went with a press and a brake myself.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Eddy View Post
          For those who would prefer a dedicated press brake instead of a press and a brake.

Not my work - pulled down off this site or the Hobart site - but from my files.

I went with a press and a brake myself.
          Thanks Eddy, that's what I wanted to know.
          Millermatic 212
          1998 Heritage Springer
          Kioti DK55

Comment

Metal Brake Complete

JAMSCAL,

I finally built the press brake this PM, except for paint. Successfully bent a piece of 5" x 1/4" flat plate 90 degrees. Bent some thinner .125 stock earlier as a test. Worked fine. My punch is 5" x 17" x 1". I cut it earlier on the track torch, then had my brother in law finish it on his mill. I think maybe the heat on the track torch had it a little wavy. I won't do that again. Bottom plate is 3/8" x17" x 11", spacing on bottom dies is 1 1/2". They are 1" square stock. My press has a 7 1/2" spacing on it and I am wondering if I should put two or three braces across the bottom plate for support. I really was tired of using a vise, hammer and heat.

I think Big Eddy posted a small bench type bender using a 4 ton jack. I think that will work fine for smaller stuff if I do not feel like lugging the break out to the press. He kindly listed plans as well so thats next project.

OBTW, I have $8.00 in my press brake. Two springs and two bolts. I used 3/4" bolts, should have stayed with 5/8". I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks for your post. Lots of great ideas and advice on this site.
            Geezer
            Miller 175
            Power MIG 255c
            Ranger 8
            1974 Wisconsin 5K AC Only (Cherry)
            Spool Gun
            185 TIG
            Victor/Harris O/A

Comment

bottom die

I plan on bending 1/4 steel plate either 3 or 4 inched wide to about 45 degrees. Can I just use solid 1 inch bars for the lower die? What's the spacing if all it will ever do is 3/16 and 1/4? I read somewhere the dies need to be hardened but only for more repeated use. I might even weld in a piece of this ground and polished rod to the upper die for a smoother radius.

Comment

Thats awesome! how much did all the metal cost?
                Miller Maxstar 150 STL
                Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
                Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

Comment

has anyone built the mini bender big eddy so kindly posted? I'm interested to see what it can do thickness wise.
                  Millermatic 211
                  Spoolmate 100
                  Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
                  Hobart AirForce 400
                  Harris D-85

Comment

Lower V size

jdubb bottom die

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    I plan on bending 1/4 steel plate either 3 or 4 inched wide to about 45 degrees. Can I just use solid 1 inch bars for the lower die? What's the spacing if all it will ever do is 3/16 and 1/4?

The gap between the lower blocks should be approx 8 times the thickness. eg i/4 tk stock should be folded in a block about 2" appart. thats not to say you could not fold slightly thicker plate but doing this increases the chance of cracking and when folding thinner material youl get a bigger radius on the fold than you would like. Best of luck . Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                    X