Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wind Chime Metal

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wind Chime Metal

    I just purchased a Plasma cutter and my wife asked me to make her some wind chimes. My question is what to use for the chimes that will make a clear 'ring'. I have used stainless stock in the past and it sounds dull. Someone said to use tool steel (hardened). I don't have much experience with aluminum or copper, but I am willing to try if people think that will work. I don't really like wood or bamboo, mostly for durability.


    Anybody have any experience with this type of question?

  • #2
    mbcft42,

    Hotfoot, over on Hobart, is probably the resident authority on gongs and wind chimes.

    He's posted up quite a lot of information.

    Can't remember if he posts on the Miller board.

    Comment


    • #3
      Chimes

      I made a wind chime for my wife. I used 1" ID rigid copper tubing. There are about 5 chimes starting at about 4 ft long. Decide what type of sound you like. Long and larger diameters give a nice "dong" rather than a "tinkle" sound.
      The 5 chimes were of different lengths for various sounds. Larger chimes and clanger take more wind to sound. The old door bells with a rich ding dong used rigid thinwall brass tube of 2 different lengths. How you hang the chimes makes a big difference. You can't hold one in your hand and hit.....it will be dead as can be. Hopes this helps. You may notice most chimes are not suspended from the top but from further down so the chime gets more action as it pivots from this point.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've used 1/2" EMT in the past and it worked fine. It's also a lot cheaper than SS or copper.

        Comment


        • #5
          But doesn't have a very good sound ....................tried it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by monte55 View Post
            But doesn't have a very good sound ....................tried it.
            That's a matter of personal opinion. I've had no complaints.

            Comment


            • #7
              This info is a little off topic here, but old, 1940s vintage, steel fire extinguishers make great gongs. I've picked up a few and some have really nice sound. The newer made ones ring more like a beer can.

              Comment


              • #8
                Since the OP stated that he just got a NEW PLASMA cutter he wants to Cut out shapes, patterns, animals etc rather than make a Tube Chime, which can be made with a Hacksaw

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                  I made a wind chime for my wife. I used 1" ID rigid copper tubing. There are about 5 chimes starting at about 4 ft long. Decide what type of sound you like. Long and larger diameters give a nice "dong" rather than a "tinkle" sound.
                  The 5 chimes were of different lengths for various sounds. Larger chimes and clanger take more wind to sound. The old door bells with a rich ding dong used rigid thinwall brass tube of 2 different lengths. How you hang the chimes makes a big difference. You can't hold one in your hand and hit.....it will be dead as can be. Hopes this helps. You may notice most chimes are not suspended from the top but from further down so the chime gets more action as it pivots from this point.
                  he he....he he he.....he said: dong

                  AWWW C'MON!!! YOU GUYS WERE ALL THINKING IT!!!!!!!!! Oh, Nick, btw, I'm sure it matters what gauge was the copper tubing you used for your "dong?"
                  he he....he he he.....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    he he....he he he.....he said: dong

                    AWWW C'MON!!! YOU GUYS WERE ALL THINKING IT!!!!!!!!! Oh, Nick, btw, I'm sure it matters what gauge was the copper tubing you used for your "dong?"
                    he he....he he he.....
                    Ok I only had afew minutes before leaving for work...and I hadda say.......this made me laugh.......I guess my mind is in the gutter too..right where it feels at home LOL Jim

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                      Since the OP stated that he just got a NEW PLASMA cutter he wants to Cut out shapes, patterns, animals etc rather than make a Tube Chime, which can be made with a Hacksaw
                      He never said he wanted to cut out shapes. He made us aware of two
                      facts........he just got a plasma cutter and his wife also asked him to make
                      a wind chime for her. The fact that he would rather not use bamboo which
                      are tubes or wood which neither can be cut with a plasma cutter suggest
                      to me the type of chime he meant to make. The point I am trying to make is
                      there is no point to be made

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Old Sporty View Post
                        I've used 1/2" EMT in the past and it worked fine. It's also a lot cheaper than SS or copper.
                        Hey Sporty.........I didn't mean they sound bad but. It really has to do with the sound one is looking for. I started with conduit but 3/4 " was the largest
                        I had. I also had some 1.125" refrigeration rigid copper used. I liked the sound a lot better. I spun the tubes and held a course grade of sandpaper on them
                        and moved quickly back and forth. It gave a nice crosshatch pattern, then I cleared them. One could also let them turn green.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          he he....he he he.....he said: dong

                          AWWW C'MON!!! YOU GUYS WERE ALL THINKING IT!!!!!!!!! Oh, Nick, btw, I'm sure it matters what gauge was the copper tubing you used for your "dong?"
                          he he....he he he.....
                          OK.....dong......tinkle..............I get it

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I saw some made form old ski poles which are typically thin wall aluminum.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hey, I'm just blaming Nick for that one.....
                              I WOULD say, let's have a contest, but that wouldn't be good....too many subjective opinions.....What might sound good to me, may not sound good to others....Go to a store and look at their (or have wife look at them), find one she likes, then see what it's made out of......
                              good luck

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.