Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New... with a question too

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New... with a question too

Good day all! As you can see, this is my first post on this forum. I was referred by a member of another forum, but I don't know his handle here. He goes by Grumpyvette over there. Quite knowledgeable, I might add...

Anyway, I'm beginning to get into road racing, so as a result, I find it necessary to do a bit of welding now and then. Most of my projects are probably simple to all the experienced welders on the board, but as a novice, I'm having some difficulty. I am working with 20 and 22 ga sheet metal right now and am having a tough time keeping a consistent bead. I may go an inch or two with a reasonable result, then another inch with a sloppy, irregular weld. Since I'm working with mild steel, I figured I could get by using flux-core in my MIG. It's one of the small, hobby type 110V units, but I would think it is good enough for some occasional sheet metal work.
    I haven't been getting any burn-through OR spatter, so I'm starting to think I'm just sloppy. I tend to do a better job when I'm working with thicker material.

Since I have basically been learning all this on my own, several people have recommended I take a welding class to develop the skill. I'd appreciate any input you all have. Thanks.

Welcome. Do yourself a favor and get some C25 and .023 wire for that mig to do 20-22ga MS with. Fluxcore is really too hot to use for anything thinner than 16-18ga IMO, and besides cleanup will be lots better without having to clean up all that slag. Also I try not to do longer beads on that thin of MS as the chances of warpage is much greater, widely seperated spot welds and 1/2-3/4" welds between the spots work better for me.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Sundown. I'll head up to my local welding supply and get some fresh spools today. Hopefully I will have better luck with it this time around.

Comment

welcome to the site. sundown prity much coverd it. get some C-25 and stick to small beads moveing them around to keep stuff cool.

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to the site there are alot of smart welders on this site your like!!

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.