Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My tallest welding project ever.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tallest welding project ever.

Just wanted to share my latest and tallest welding project. I made and installed this tower for my father´s farm wind turbine. I is 49 feet tall and has a square section of 16 inches. Weight is 400 pounds aprox. I built it with my CST 280 using 1/10" dia 7018 rod. Mains are 1" 1/8 steel angle and the cross memebers 5/8" angle. I supports a wind turbine of 0.4 kw peak power that feeds a 12 volt DC system. This week end with a 10 to 15 mph wind the system charged the batteries at 18 to 25 amps rate, not bad!

Hope you all like it.

Regards:

Jerónimo.
    Attached Files

Very nice! Do you have anymore info on the generator portion of it? I would be very interested to see some pictures and hear some details of what you used as I am looking to do something similar on my weekend cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
      Very nice! Do you have anymore info on the generator portion of it? I would be very interested to see some pictures and hear some details of what you used as I am looking to do something similar on my weekend cabin.
      Thank´s walker! The generator is a triphasic brushless type. It has permanent magnets on the rotor and a triphasic winding on the stator. The coarse voltage regulation as well as the overspeed protection works on the horizontal furl of the tail. The rotor is about 8 feet diameter, the 3 blades are fiberglass and the hub is cast iron.
      The unit comes with the voltage regulator, it has a fullwave rectifier and a dump load for fine voltage regulation. Also the regulator includes an amp meter and a volt meter.
      Rated power is about 0.3kw at 14 mph wind speed, output voltage is for 12 volt battery systems. We installed 2 AC Delco deep cycle batts rated at 110 amps each in parallel, but plan to add two more soon. We connected also a 1500 watt power inverter for illumination and ac power of fridge and the like.

Originaly we mounted it on a lower tower, but this one lets it catch higher wind speeds with notable less ground induced turbulence. That translated in efficient operation, with less noise and less stress to the machine.

Just let me know if you need more info, I also have closer photos of the machine.

Regards:

Jerónimo.

Comment

More pics.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would like to see a couple pics close up of the cable clamps installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
            I would like to see a couple pics close up of the cable clamps installed.
            To be honest I don´t have close ups on the clamps. What would you be looking for? Any input is wellcome.

Thank´s!

Regards:

Jerónimo.

Comment

nice job.
              i would love to add wind turbine power to my place. i got lots of wind, just no $$ for the turbine.
              have you looked at the ones that are tube shaped ? supposed to work better in low wind and changing directional wind.
              any idea what kind of $$ the setup was ??

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                nice job.
                i would love to add wind turbine power to my place. i got lots of wind, just no $$ for the turbine.
                have you looked at the ones that are tube shaped ? supposed to work better in low wind and changing directional wind.
                any idea what kind of $$ the setup was ??
                I don´t know how the tube shaped types work. This one has pretty low wind startup caracteristics as well as low rpms max peak out that was what we were looking for (our weather is rainy, windy and with high humidity, ice hitting the blades during a storm and birds have damaged faster turning turbines in our past expereince).

The turbine costs usd 1500, the tower cost (materials only) was around usd 700, the power inverter and batts around usd 1000.

Regards:

Jerónimo.

Comment

I saw a job today with 2 clamps installed, the mechanic did a nice job and used thimbles nice and tight and installed the clips back wards. As Ironhead said, cant saddle a dead horse, maybe someone has pics from a site with clamping instructions?
                  Ok, here is the first google hit. http://wolfadventures.org/Ropes%20Co...rds/clamps.htm Nice tower by the way.
                  Last edited by Sberry; 08-14-2008, 09:09 PM.

Comment

How did you stand it up? How did you anchor it?

Nice job

Comment

Jerónimo:
                      Wow, lots of pieces. Nice job, must have taken a lot of time, cutting and fitting. Did you use mig, flux-core or stick?

How did you stand it up? Edit: AZguy beat me.

Saddling a dead horse, there's a right way and wrong way to install cable clamps. Sberry's link shows how. Somehow strength is effected, whether you put the u-bolts around the length of the strand or the rolled back stub.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Head
                        Why? Wouldn’t be because he saddled a dead horse, would it?
                        A linesman taught me that trick as well, before that I never paid much attention, now I see them backwards all over... unfortunately!

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                        Jerónimo:
                        Wow, lots of pieces. Nice job, must have taken a lot of time, cutting and fitting. Did you use mig, flux-core or stick?
                        In his first post he mentions that he used his CST 280 with 7018 rods.

Comment

Originally posted by c wagner View Post
                          In his first post he mentions that he used his CST 280 with 7018 rods.
                          C Wagner: thank you, I slept right through that, Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                            I saw a job today with 2 clamps installed, the mechanic did a nice job and used thimbles nice and tight and installed the clips back wards. As Ironhead said, cant saddle a dead horse, maybe someone has pics from a site with clamping instructions?
                            Ok, here is the first google hit. http://wolfadventures.org/Ropes%20Co...rds/clamps.htm Nice tower by the way.
                            Thank´s for the link sberry. After your question I started to wonder if the clamps were installed correctly. Well some of them were not. Last night the tower and wind turbine survived 100 kmh wind speeds during a storm, that said, I will return to the farm as soon as possible to reinstall the clamps in the correct way and check the turbine for possible damages to the blades.

Regards:

Jerónimo.

Comment

Originally posted by azshadeguy View Post
                              How did you stand it up? How did you anchor it?

Nice job
                              Thank´s! First we assembled the tower on the ground, as can be seen in the picture bellow, the base of the tower is a hinge which articulates in line with one diagonal of the suqare formed by the anchors, ie east-west anchors. We selected a level curve on the gorund as flat as possible in a way that the anchor´s eyes and the base bolt where level and all lined together. Then we squared the tower on the ground refered to those east-west vertices. In that way when you rise the tower it is perfectly squared to a horizontal line on the east-west direction, which belongs to a plane that is level. Then installed the east-west cables, not to tight, and with that distance measured, anchored the south cable to the ground plus one meter to compensate the ground slope. Then we took the north cable, aded some more meters of cable for pulling with security (in case somethings fails), and slowly pulled form north with a heavy tractor. The white tube that you see atached to the tower, is a pole used to give more leverage to the pulling cable and to avoid the tractor pulling the entire thing with ground base included.

Regards:

Jerónimo.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.