Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Round pipe in tank

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Round pipe in tank

How do I make a precision fit of a 3 inch round pipe into a round tank?

I need a 3 inch round pipe installed in the 24 inch round tank. I Need the pipe to perfectly vertical but it will be offset a bit from straight up on the tank if that makes sense. Instead of being just straight down into the center of the tank it will be offset to one side just bit.

Drill the hole holding the bit in line with the intended angle of the pipe to be installed. The resulting hole will look oval but the pipe will fit when at the same angle.

Comment

The other way would be to cut the 3" pipe to fit and then trace around it with soapstone and cut the hole with a torch.
      There is a site that has a program to make patterns for you, I don't know if I can find it though. You can also make your own pattern but its hard to explain how to do it.
      This came up a while back on this site and I did my best to describe how to do it and someone else posted a link to the site with the program. You might try the search on this forum to find that thread.

Comment

Check out this site if you want to try making your own pattern. I thought I had one bookmarked.
        http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/pdf...book_part1.pdf

Comment

How precision?

Comment

Just out of curiosity whats in the 24 inch tank

piper

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
              Check out this site if you want to try making your own pattern. I thought I had one bookmarked.

thats an awesome link. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post

Comment

Originally posted by jweller View Post
                  Your welcome. The sheetmetal shop is one of my favorite sites beside this one. They have a lot of reprints of old books from around the turn of the 20th century. I ordered the DVD of old books and its great, I definitely recommend it.
                  Here is a link to the site if you want to poke around a little.
                  http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/index.html

Check out the library, you'll find some interesting reading there.
                  Last edited by burninbriar; 08-14-2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I book marked the site. The tank is going to be a smoker. The pipe is the exhaust stack.

Comment

doesnt need to be precision then, any method, burn it with a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                        doesnt need to be precision then, any method, burn it with a torch.
                        Yeah, I was more concerned about making a pattern to cut it out from than how to cut it. I didn't want an egg shaped hole that I had an inch on one side or the other to fill in.

Comment

Even with some guess work you should be able to come close enough to burn it and have it weldable. It would be a big problem if you were to come up an inch off. Heck its so primitive you could hold the thing up there and burn around it till the pipe went thru the hole.

Comment

You could even burn the hole smaller and take a Crescent type wrench and flare the hole out for a custom fit.

Comment

If you want to layout, fishmouth a section of 3" cardboard tube or cheap 3" vent pipe and use it to trace over the tank.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.