need plans for band roller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check it.

So, I finally zipped this up and put it straight into action.
    No time for paint, and the 2x4 I had wedged in the frame for the mock-up is still wedged in the frame.

1 and 2) Test piece, first run. That's a 1/8" x 8" wide piece of mild steel.

Honestly, I stuck the metal in the rollers and this thing pretty muched rolled itself. I could give the wheel a light flick and it would draw the metal right on through to the other side. Effortless. I love it when a plan comes together.

3) Straight into the project at hand. This is the 1/8" x 5" skirt for the stands I am currenlty making. I have to roll these in two halves and fit them up. Rolls like cookie dough.

4 and 5) The finished machine. When I have a chance, I'll give it a coat of paint.

In all honestly, this thing works even better- way better- than I had expected. No gears, no chain, no idlers, no motor, no problems. I didn't really check out anyone elses plans before I made this because I had a clear idea of what I wanted and how I would make it from the get-go. Now that I finished mine, I looked around at some of the other plans, and with no disrespect intended to the rollers and builders, I just don't understand the need for all those sprockets, chains, motors, keyways, idler, etc. Looks like a lot of extra expense, PITA, and well, I just don't see it.

If I had to do it again, I would make it wider. Duh.
    Also, the rollers on mine still see about a 1/4" gap between them when jacked up all the way. This basically means that you are limited by how tight of a radius you can roll. If you look at a sheet metal pinch roller, the dies can basically close right in on each other, so you can roll about a tight of a radius as the die. Just something to consider if and when you build your own.

Now that this is behind me, I can move on with the project and start thinking about making my press brake.

Thanks for looking.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about this thing, but don't expect me to send you any plans. I simply don't have any and I'm sure not going to draw any up. As I mentioned before, they can be found scrawled on my shop table in soapstone or on the back of a knapkin somewhere.

Woohoo!
    Attached Files
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

original question

Originally posted by big c View Post
      i am wanting to build a roller to roll 1/4 x2 and 1/2 round bar can any one help me with this?
      I probably won't be rolling any round bar with mine, and I still hold to my original recommendation for your application: buy the $90 roller on e-bay.
      It will do your 1/4 x 2 and 1/2 bar no problem.

I was about $175 out of pocket for my machine, but I had most of the material laying around the chop. Time into the project is another story.
      Maxstar 200DX
      Maxstar 300DX
      Dynasty 200DX
      Passport
      Spectrum 701
      LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
        Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I used the same ring roller that you have. I used the dies for 1" square tubing for 1" round, which turned into a small disaster because, as one would expect , the round expanded and kept getting pinched in the dies and made it extremely difficult to roll. It all worked out in the end; I just got a good workout myself.
        What Dies are you talking about?

Mine didn't come with any Tube dies- I used a Die from my 2020 bender- worked ok.
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
          What Dies are you talking about?

Mine didn't come with any Tube dies- I used a Die from my 2020 bender- worked ok.
          Ummm... oh yeah... those would be the dies that we turned for 1" square tubing. Your bender would not have come with these dies.

I need to make a set for round, but will probably just make them as the need arises.

A "V" grooved set of dies should work for round, but won't give you as good results as a nice dedicated set of dies for the proper tube size. It just depends on what is acceptable for the job you are doing. For a handle for my bender I can live with an oblong shape. For a customer's hand railing... that's another story.

Ed, you'll have to check out this new roller when you're in SD... but it aint leaving my chop.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 08-28-2008, 02:44 PM. Reason: forgot the pic
          Maxstar 200DX
          Maxstar 300DX
          Dynasty 200DX
          Passport
          Spectrum 701
          LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Chris,

AWESOME!

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

As with all your work, when you set your mind to it, you "GET ER DONE".
            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
            More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
              Chris,

AWESOME!

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.

As with all your work, when you set your mind to it, you "GET ER DONE".
              Thanks Jay.

Yes, I do love it when a plan comes together.

Did I mention how stoked I am about this roller? ....

I don't think anyone else really cares. That's OK. I'll post up anyways.
              Maxstar 200DX
              Maxstar 300DX
              Dynasty 200DX
              Passport
              Spectrum 701
              LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Maxed out

A quick post here just to stay in the game.

Well, I think I took this little roller to the limit.
                That's 1/4" x 12" mild steel in a 24" diameter.
                I didn't need it to be a complete circle, so I left the flats on the end.

Not too shabby for hillbilly home-made... I guess.
                Attached Files
                Maxstar 200DX
                Maxstar 300DX
                Dynasty 200DX
                Passport
                Spectrum 701
                LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

A quick post here just to stay in the game.

Well, I think I took this little roller to the limit.
                  That's 1/4" x 12" mild steel in a 24" diameter.
                  I didn't need it to be a complete circle, so I left the flats on the end.

Not too shabby for hillbilly home-made... I guess.
                  Chris, Hi; That LITTLE ROLLER is better than just nice !! Have you got any Plans on how you built it.
                  Man to Roll 1/4x12 sheet like that is Sweet !! ..... Norm : PS. Sorry you can tell I came in at the end of this one.
                  I went back and saw all of your work and pictures in making this Great Project !!
                  Fantstic Job !!! .... Norm :
                  Last edited by nfinch86; 12-07-2008, 05:13 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
                  - Spoolgun.
                  - DeWalt Chop Saw .
                  - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks Norm

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                    Chris, Hi; That LITTLE ROLLER is better than just nice !! Have you got any Plans on how you built it.
                    Man to Roll 1/4x12 sheet like that is Sweet !! ..... Norm : PS. Sorry you can tell I came in at the end of this one.
                    I went back and saw all of your work and pictures in making this Great Project !!
                    Fantstic Job !!! .... Norm :
                    Hi Norm. Sorry no plans, but you can take what you can from the pics.
                    I think the bearings are a key part to reduce the drag and effort. A long lever is important as well. Next is to make a 52" wide version... something I should have done the first time 'round.
                    Keep it simple.
                    Maxstar 200DX
                    Maxstar 300DX
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Passport
                    Spectrum 701
                    LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

dont forget to show us some pic's of the next one too.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor :

Hi Norm. Sorry no plans, but you can take what you can from the pics.
                        I think the bearings are a key part to reduce the drag and effort. A long lever is important as well. Next is to make a 52" wide version... something I should have done the first time 'round.
                        Keep it simple.
                        Chris, Hi; OH MAN, I can't wait to see that one !! Again what a Fantastic Job you did on the first one !!! I don't think I would have the gear to pull that one Off !! ...... Norm :
                        sigpic
                        Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
                        - Spoolgun.
                        - DeWalt Chop Saw .
                        - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...