Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying Project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could be wrong here, but I don't think the rotors opposing directions will negate the torque vectors to the point it will be easier to bump the gyros out of plane. The reason airplane engines are canted at 10 degrees off center is due to the torque vector, but that doesn't eliminate the the gyroscopic precession - it merely prevents it from having as large an impact on the aircraft's tendency to yaw because of it.

A way to find out your chances, would be to look up a twin opposing prop airplane and see if the engine is mounted in line with center or skewed. If it's in line, you're in luck. If it's canted, you're probably screwed (or at least going to have a lot of physical effort to fly your machine).

Comment

now I thougth I had seen it all.

Comment

New videos on Monte's heli project

Well now that the weather is warming up some I thought it's time to do more
        testing with the heli project. I uploaded 2 new videos of running up the engine
        and drive train with all 4 rotors installed. I still have a lot to figure out. This is for the ones that requested updates on my progress.
        Nick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoPOlKnJFwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-df8RKaa_h8

Comment

Wow

I will echo earlier comments and say that is one of the craziest things I've seen on this board. I see you wear a lot of different hats, I didn't think Test Pilot was one of them. Please stay safe.

Matt.

Comment

Nick,
            Thanks for the videos, they are great. So what is the next test? Did you notice much lift during your test? How much throttle did you use? Keep it up and good luck.
            Nick

Comment

Nick,
              Can I put a life insurance policy on you? It might pay well with that contraption!!!!
              One thing I would do is put a shield on the drive shaft if I was you. You have a lot of trust in your work.
              Rick C.

Comment

One of the biggest issues I see is it will not be instinctive to fly with the control system that you are using. Push left to go right, pull back to go forward.
                A very ambitious project. Be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBill View Post
                  One of the biggest issues I see is it will not be instinctive to fly with the control system that you are using. Push left to go right, pull back to go forward.
                  Pretty much the same as flying a hang glider. Or, guiding an auto by grasping the steering wheel below center.

It's intuitive, once you're airborne.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                    Nick,
                    Thanks for the videos, they are great. So what is the next test? Did you notice much lift during your test? How much throttle did you use? Keep it up and good luck.
                    Nick
                    The rotors are at 0 degree pitch now so no lifting. I am in the process of making 8 degree wedge shims to give the rotors positive pitch. It's a starting point and I'll see what happens. Btw...so far throttle has been on the low side.
                    Nick
                    Last edited by monte55; 03-29-2010, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• Just wanted to reiiterate (sp?) on what I told you before and what others have said: BE CAREFUL!!! We'd hate to lose you........

Comment

• Contra Rotating Propellers

Been seeing more and more contra rotating propellers in the radio controlled world and was wondering how your full sized project was coming along.... was also wondering if you might share some pics of the gearbox scheme you used to achieve the contra rotation...

Comment

• http://youtu.be/MHQ4k3dKqtg

Comment

• OK.... that spider gear setup is a simple elegant solution... Thanks!!

The mast does look a little lightweight.... know the loading is way different.. but the ones on the Bell Jetrangers and Hughes 500's that I am used to are massive by comparison..... how did you calculate the loading on it??

Comment

• When you say mast, what are you referring to?...The 2" square mast as I call it or the 1" rotor shaft. No calcs were done. Just looked at a lot of other projects and came up with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                                When you say mast, what are you referring to?...The 2" square mast as I call it or the 1" rotor shaft. No calcs were done. Just looked at a lot of other projects and came up with this.
                                Monte
                                was referring to the "Rotor Mast"

You may find it useful to refer to Wayne Johnson's text "Helicopter Theory" it is pretty much the standard reference in rotary wing design...

"Monumental text offers comprehensive, detailed coverage of every aspect of theory and design: elements of vertical flight, forward flight, performance, mathematics of rotating systems, rotary wing dynamics and aerodynamics, aeroelasticity, stability and control, more. Essential reading for those interested in design and development of vertical-flight aircraft. 189 illustrations. 1089 pages
                                1980 edition."

http://books.google.com/books?id=SgZheyNeXJIC

there are lots of used copies available at reasonable prices...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.